Were you a "Born-In", or were you "Converted"?

by Warlock 75 Replies latest jw friends

• ninja
    ninja

I converted myself...I was an ass (in the words of da judge)

• jelcat8224
    jelcat8224

Raised in : Mom was introduced when I was eight around 1990. Mom and I are the only ones who got baptized. Dad and two younger siblings (as well as an older sibling) not baptized. Hoping to keep it that way.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Converted in my early 20's.

Still looking back at that and wondering, wha??? I've wondered lately if I'm a very high-functioning autistic or something, I've made such weird decisions and had some of the most embarrassing social blunders in my life!

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

"Born-In"

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I've always considered myself born and raised in the JWs because as far back as I recall, that's what we were.

I believe I have a memory of my parent's baptism, though. I was between 4 and 6 at the time.

My dad converted though, long before my mom.

I have no recollection of it, but according to her, she fought it hard for years. Dad was pretty much converted by the time I was 2 or 3, I guess. My mom was outnumbered by the JW bullies (in-laws) with whom she lived and eventually caved in, so I consider myself a third generation witness because my grandmother (dad's mom) always believed in it, but didn't get baptized until the late 60s or early 70's.

So, I was reared in a f@2$^ed up family in a f@$%6d up cult religion, like a lot of people here. It completely dominated my childhood and early teens.

• sspo
    sspo

convert in 75

• loosie
    loosie

I was a born in

• zagor
    zagor

My mom became dub when I was only 2 but I didn't take up any interest until I was about 14 or 15 a teen looking for some answers and meaning. Got out about 10 years later. I guess that makes me both.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

so interesting to see how many of you were 3rd or 4th generation JWs. I was a 3rd generation JW. My grandfather wasn't IBSA, I think he was International Colporteur or something like that, in Wyoming in the 1920s or 1930s. My mother ran away to marry a sailor, an alcoholic unfortunately, but then went back and was baptized around 1956. I didn't leave because of doctrinal issues; left because I was seriously depressed and, as my brother-in-law put it, got tired of holding the higher moral ground. It was such a relief to just quit!! And then later, when I wasn't depressed any more, I took a look at the org. and could see what a load of s**t it is.

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

Born in. My parents converted a couple years before I was born. Baptized at about 11, DF at about 19... never looked back!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit