"You'll never even get to finish school in this System of Things....."

by WingCommander 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gerard
    Gerard
    I can only pity any school aged children of JW's that are still in, as I know for fact their parents are probably spouting off the same rediculous crap that was spouted off to me over 20 years ago.

Lift your chin! Unlike us, kids now have the Internet.... And this forum just a click away.

• sexyk
    sexyk

"You'll never even get to finish school in this System of Things....."

Yeah..............

Iv'e heard that one more then a few times.

Bullshit.

keith

• sosad
    sosad

isn't it wierd - I remember my mom telling her (non jw)sister not to bother going to business college in the mid 70's becasue this system would not continue. my oldest is now in fourth grade - and on his first day of school I called my Mom- did she realize that my child was starting school when I was never supposed to????? That was in the late 60's.....my special needs brother was never given special help because "he will be better in the New System"- he is in his mid forties now, living with my jw parents - and what a blessing that is- without his monthly government cheque they would be totally destitute retirees, not just mostly destitute. i can just here them - JHVH provides

when I graduated from high school in 1984 my dad quietly approached me and told me to consider going into medicine- that he would help me out (he was an inactive jw at the time)..... I had just been reinstated and of course had none of the sciences or maths to even consider applying to University - i have always wondered where he was a year or two earlier

Now their youngest son (dfed and totally mixed up at 25) is going to school - they won't even acknowledge him....one brother in his early 30's just finished an EMT course and is inactive - proof of the evils of higher education.

and who is going to help them in their retirment??/ not the full time pioneed daughter or the tradesman son-

i hope I live to see this organization fall in a blaze

• aarque
    aarque

I remember as a kid being scared silly when the service meeting had demonstrations of how to change one's appearance so that authorities couldn't find you when you were out in service... how we would have to meet in secret when the work was banned and couldn't meet as a congregation... how missing just one meeting could mean a matter of life and death. I remember being scared out of my wits when the overseer threatened me with dying at Armageddon because I couldn't sit still during the meetings. I remember being scared a lot as a kid because of Armageddon, because of death, because I feared being destroyed for not being good enough. It's a hell of a way to grow up...

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

My mother was told that she would never graduate school. She did and then proceeded to have kids, she was told her kids would never graduate school and they did (a few of us went off to college). Now she has grand kids who are graduating high school. I really believe that is what is making her so angry. She is unwilling to accept that everything she has lived for is a lie. If she acknowledges that, what does she have left. You have to admit, it has to be frightening being an older jw ... the reality of life and the fact that the "end" is not right around the corner, the "truth" is old age and death is more "right around the corner" then the "end of this system of things". What a sad reality that must be.

• skeptic1914
    skeptic1914

Just want to put my two cents in. Ironically my non-witness father always saw the value of an education as his was limited and he had to work hard early in life. It was me (with the tacit support of my witness mother) that wanted to quit high school so I could pioneer. That was in 1969 when I knew everything. The "pioneering" lasted about 2 months and soon I was working full time and inactive.

Fast forward to 1973. Get married. Become super-active in the "truth". First child due in April '75. Would this child even be born in this system? Certainly would NEVER go school...Never graduate...etc. I WAS that parent who didn't plan for the future, for college, for retirement. Fortunately 2 of my 3 kids are doing OK for themselves today.

I do not, however, hold the organization responsible for this. These were MY choices as an adult. Did the policies and published statements in the literature influence us? Absolutely. Did my father's weakly giving in to my foolish demands at 17 play a part in the direction my life took?. Much more so IMO.

Skeptic1914

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

You can only blame the JWs for your education history up until the age that you left them; from then on it's your own choice. Sure it's harder as an adult, but not much harder. I enrolled in an undergrad degree 18 months ago and it's coming along well. I'm taking it at a pace that my mature adult lifestyle can sustain, but it will be finished eventually.

Channel your anger into the kind of energy that creates something valuable! I'm so looking forward to the day I graduate - totally without the support of the loser JWs who have all told me that I wouldn't finish primary school.

• zack
    zack

The blame can go to and squarely rest on the teachings of a religion that claims divine appointment. These men are responsible, utterly and totally,

for all they said, did, taught, published, demanded, encouraged, etc... because they did so in the name of Almighty God as agents of the same. They abbrogated

to themselves the authority of God and stole for themselves that most precious and fragile possesion of the true believer: their faith.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

What's really sad...and scary, is the fact that the new generation of dubs are kept in the dark about these statements and 1975, etc., etc. Of course even if they knew they'd probably still keep their heads in the sand. I know because I have a grown daughter who revels in her stupor. If you try to tell them something you can see them mentally plugging their ears and screaming, "No No No No No No No No." The WTBS....Masters of Brainwashing!

-BONEZZ

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    If you try to tell them something you can see them mentally plugging their ears and screaming, "No No No No No No No No."

Hey Bonezz! I get that all the time from all of them. Damn shame! And some dare say it's not a cult.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit