"You'll never even get to finish school in this System of Things....."

by WingCommander 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• M.J.
    M.J.

At least the bright side is...you exist!

Even now, there are some young, middle-aged, and old couples in my wife's congregation who aren't having kids/never had kids because of the end being so near!

And if they die before then, according to official WTS teaching on Matt 22:30, they'll never have kids.

• unique1
    unique1

Yeah, I too am real pissed off about the lack of tigers and lions in my backyard paradise. I never even tried for college as I knew it wouldn't happen. Sometime I wonder what it would have been like if I had the opportunity to go. Guess I will never know. Sorry you went through all of that, but it is great that you have your mother back!!!

• Numinous
    Numinous

Maybe it isn't school so much as thinking for oneself, developing deductive reasoning, and, of course, the "bad association" AKA realizing that those worldly people are lovable and interesting and not all that worthy of getting blown away. So many of these kids at the hall were so socially retarded, along with being "home schooled"---by themselves to be sure---years later through the grapevine I hear of them staying home trying to figure out how to work the can opener. Meanwhile, those who did go on to get a degree were held in high esteem at the hall, as yes, troubled mind, I think the society would like the rank and file to make a few more dollars to contribute to that donation arrangement.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Just reading this thread makes me feel ill. My Witness wife is in the other room verbally abusing me as I type this.

'It's my fault I didn't have the cojones to resist my second-generation JW mom and third-generation JW dad and go to school when all my teachers and guidance counselors begged me to.

It's my fault I went to Bethel even though it was ingrained in me since a toddler that that is what all young men who love Jehovah do when old enough.

It's my fault I decided to pioneer with a young(also pioneer) wife and infant son when I should have looked after my financial future because I was told that this system would soon be passing from the scene. It's my fault even though God's very own designated spokesmen told me that that's what good worshippers of Jehovah do in their public talk outlines, assembly parts, and the pages of their "holy spirit- directed" books and magazines.

It's my fault I "burned-out" on "theocratic assignments and privileges" because they told me that it would be the height of ungratefulness to turn down Jehovah when "he" offered said privileges and assignments.'

Some of you may read this and think well, isn't nvr being a little whiny bitch? I'm sorry and maybe I am.

I've got two things to say:

1. I'm taking back my life, starting now.

2. I hate this religion!

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel alot better now.

Nvr

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

pre 75.. an assembly where all the kids were told WE were the children who would get to tell ressurected children what it was like living in the last days! we wouldnt have to worry about graduating high school or having a career we'd be happy in paradise..

i'm a grandmother now.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Every time I hear that statement it makes me feel sick and then I get enraged.

I was told that from the time I was a little kid and since we were so zealous of the 'truth', we lived our lives according to that statement. I never expected to get to high school - I never expected to graduate from it. Promises that it was going to happen so soon kept me out in service every summer vacation and every spare moment of the day. My mother constantly told me this - little kids believe their moms because they don't lie...and then everything mom told me was backed up by the society. We only surrounded ourselves with others who believed this same thing.

I didn't go to college. I didn't waste time with sports. I didn't make any friends. I didn't take vacations. I finally got married just before '75 - when it really WAS going to end. What a frikkin joke and what a mess this cult made of my life and anyone else's that I happened to pull along with me ..even if it was done with sincerity and an absolute faith in what I was teaching.

• frozen one
    frozen one

My parents let me apply for college when I graduated high school, though they didn't really approve of the idea. I was accepted at a community college and was to start in the fall of 1980. A couple of weeks before school started, my mom and I went to look at housing and on the way home we "happened" to stop at a kingdom hall that the CO was visiting. The CO took me aside and gave me the spiel - four or five years to get a degree, advanced degrees take longer - and closed with the question, "Do you think this system of things will last that long?" Anyway, I did start college but dropped out because I had no support at all. I ended up going to trade school which was alright. The trade provided ok enough. Fast forward to 1995. I had decided that one thing I wanted to do was get that degree so I started going to college. I remember walking into that first lecture hall filled to the rafters with 18 year old freshmen and me, being a 30 something construction worker...I was so nervous I almost puked (and I am a tough SOB). But I stuck with it. I was working full time and taking classes at night and on weekends. I earned my bachelor's in 2001. My parents attended the graduation. I should have invited the CO to come also.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I had it like that too. Alwyays the Armageddon-crap. I would like to start another thread one day: How many of you raised in "the truth" have this same basic pessimism in your personalities, like me? How many of us have this? This inner, unspoken feeling that somehow, someway, everything is going down the drain. How many of us are hypocondriacs? How many expect to have a short life-span? How many have anxiety and/or depression? I can only imagine... I hate the Watchtower. (ahh, it felt good to vent).

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Cheer up mate. Here's a WT quote that will help you feel better about your situation.

Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. The world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future! ... Make pioneer service, the fulltime ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future! - The Watchtower, March 15, 1969 "What Influences Decisions in Your Life?"
  • Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Oooh, here's another:

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling… True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? Or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order? Awake! May 22 1969

Here's to our missed opportunities!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit