Did you have a favorite food at the assemblies (when they sold it there)?

by kitten whiskers 70 Replies latest jw friends

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I never saw the doughnuts! We must have arrived too late for them. I do remember working making the burritos as a teenager! It was so much fun to get out of sitting in the auditorium and mingle with other teenage friends from other halls while we got to talk while we worked!

Juni: The pudding wasn't always frozen. But I guess the few times I did get them frozen while suffering in that AWFUL heat and humidity (no airconditioning for us!) it really made an impression! LOL

Kitten Whiskers

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    It was so much fun to get out of sitting in the auditorium and mingle with other teenage friends from other halls while we got to talk while we worked!

I used to do this too!! It's the only thing about the assembly that was bearable, sorta. The only time I could get from under my parents' thumb!

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

burritos

• found-my-way
    found-my-way
    I loved the soft ice cream cones we used to get at the ass embly hall in Astoria, Queens. Boy, that brings back memories.

BFD

Hey, we had an awesome icecream stand in our assembly hall too! The best soft icecream ever, and you could get chocolate or butterscotch sauce on it!

I was a teen when they had it!

We all were sad when they removed it to make room for more seating for when they implemented the take your own lunch rule.

I LOVED the frozen pudding! and the frozen danishes! those were the best, ahhh GOOD CONVENTION MEMORIES...once they took the food away, it just wasnt the same!!!!! the conventions SUCKED after that.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Back when they actually cooked meals I liked the salisbury steak (basically meatloaf) with mashed potatoes smothered in brown gravy and green beans. I remember a few assemblies where they offered half a cantaloupe melon with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle.

Sometime around the mid 60's they began offering heavy, bland hoagies that would require that you ate a piece of the under ripe fruit to keep from getting terminally constipated. I remember that many elderly people simply couldn't handle these wads of bread, cheese and cheap baloney. Also, little "hamburgers" made from the lowest grade of "meat" available in a flat, gummy bun.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow!!! A walk down memory lane! I forgot about the frozen everything in the morning...the frozen cheese danish and orange juice. I worked the snow cone stand in '69...the coolest place in Dodger Stadium. I'd have to say burritos were the most dependable food. Anybody in CA remember the assembly at Hollywood Park with the "International Food Section?"

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

JW-KID POWERLUNCH:

2 BURRITOS

1 LEMON-LIME SHASTA

1 VANILLA PUDDING(SLIGHTLY FROZEN)

1 CHEESE DANISH

That was when I couldn't gain weight if I tried. How times have changed!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bacon rolls!!!

Steve:

To this day, whenever I smell a greasy donut, I think of Twickenham.

Likewise. They had them other places, but I think they had the better donut friers at Twickers.

• Xena
    Xena

We never had donuts. But I remember one international having strawberry shortcake. In Fla at the convention center in Plantersville they had a softserve icecream machine, that was nice. Other wise I'm with ya'll on the burritos, frozen pudding and shasta! Anyone remember the nasty chicken with a piece of white bread wrapped around it?

I ALWAYS did food service! Great way to meet boys.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I remember at Dudley Assembly (before East of the Pennines was built) having soft-serve icecream

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit