Did you have a favorite food at the assemblies (when they sold it there)?

by kitten whiskers 70 Replies latest jw friends

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

The half frozen orange juice.

Cheese Danish

Frozen vanilla pudding

burritos

What a great walk down memory lane.

Leslie

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Anybody got some TUMS for this thread?

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Conventions: Cheese Danish, Frozen Orange Juice & Lemon Lime Shasta!

When I was a kid our assembly hall had soft serve Ice Cream. That was the only thing I looked forward to at the assemblies.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Oh yeah I remember the soft serve ice cream when they used to sell phone at the assembly hall. Anyone recall that people would like up for food during the last talk before intermission? Or as soon as you said "amen" the line was out the door.

• restrangled
    restrangled

My now husband, then just a friend and not really into the witnesses drove up one afternoon from Chicago. He purchased a type of of "poor boy" sandwich at the assembly in Minneapolis. I was allowed to drive with him to the next family destination after the sessions and he promptly got food poisening. I had no idea how to drive a manual car.

But on the way I drove, and my friend had his foot on the clutch while throwing up out the window, tellling me when to put my foot on the gas as he shifted.

What a nightmare.......Oh and the worry and flack that went on that we were together alone in the car!

r.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Weren't many of the snack foods at the assemblies commercially made? What I do remember is the terrible cafeteria food! JWs would rave about all the good food that was prepared and served. I was a faithful JW at the time, but I often thought "good heavens, if this is good food, what are they getting at home?"

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember when they actually had a cafeteria and served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The menu varied from convention to convention.

Back in the 20's the WTS catered the food and the caterer conked out and they did their own food for about 70 years and then it was back to bring your own.

I liked this during the "fast food" days:

Apple cinnamon danish

Cheese danish

Frozen orange juice

Coffee (the only thing that was actually prepared and the quality varied)

Muff-n-egg

Burritos

Roast beef/barbecue sauce

Hoagies

Potato chips

Witness (Swiss Miss) pudding--chocolate or vanilla

(Always brought my own diet soda; soda was crappy)

There was a time there was yogurt, salads, canteloupe/cottage cheese, and bags of fruit at conventions.

Blondie

• helncon
    helncon

I remember at the DC in Sydney they would lots of different food.

When i was about 15/16 i helped out in the hot chip section i loved that i made some great friends.

I also remember one of the last DC the spaghtti bolagnaise.

At the CA at cessnock i remember the Hot doghnuts yum.

But other than that i don't ever really remember the food.

Oh the other thing i remember is that you had to get JW dolloars they were a strip of paper money in $1 and you had to buy these in advance to the Assmlies but if you had any left over you couldn't exchang them back. Did this happen in the US?

Helen

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Oh the other thing i remember is that you had to get JW dolloars they were a strip of paper money in $1 and you had to buy these in advance to the Assmlies but if you had any left over you couldn't exchang them back. Did this happen in the US?

Yes. Those in full-time service got the tickets for free or at a discount, if I recall correctly.

Nvr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    The half frozen orange juice.

Oh, what memories!

I forgot about that plastic-encased, aluminum-topped delight!

AND THE BURRITOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BA- Damn- They wuz goooood!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit