Did you have a favorite food at the assemblies (when they sold it there)?

by kitten whiskers 70 Replies latest jw friends

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Hubby and I got on the topic last night. He was wondering what I was eating- a frozen jello pudding cup. I remember getting them at the assemblies, especially the hot summer district assemblies. If you got there early enough for breakfast, you could get a frozen pudding, frozen orange juice, cheese or apple danish---just to name a few.

For some reason, I still LOVE frozen pudding. We started reminscing about our favorites. As a kid, the danish, pudding and the Sunday afternoon drama were your main attractions!

Hubby loved the burritos at the circuit assembly. He even remembers them making doughnuts and french fries! I do not remember those. I know the food wasn't grand or gourmet, but it's amazing how after all these years, it's the only place I ever had frozen pudding and that I still love it. Hubby misses the cheese danish with the frosting on top, they were his favorites. Anybody else have anything they especially remember?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The Donuts !!

To this day, whenever I smell a greasy donut, I think of Twickenham

steve.

• unique1
    unique1

I loved the Cheese Danish with an icy OJ. The burritos were good as well, but I was in food service every year and they went so fast I rarely got one.

• juni
    juni

I remember the fresh donuts that were made. Don't remember any burritoes though or FROZEN pudding. Just cold pudding which was great and the fruit bags. The juice was better than the cheap Shasta soda pop which was so overly carbonated that you felt like you were bloated and could recite the Lord's prayer on one long burp.

Juni

• dobbie
    dobbie

They stopped doing food the year i 'joined up' so it was always warm soggy sandwiches for me.At Plymouth conventions there was always a fleet if ice cream drinks chip vans etc outside, but we were always counselled not to use them as it wouldn't give the right image, the last year i did though and wished i had all the other years i was there!On a cold day a box of chips and a hot cup of tea was bliss!

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I remember they used to do up "sweet plates" from donated baked goods. The challenge was to get a plate with 3 good things on it, but there was always a rock hard, dry oatmeal cookie on all of them.

• fokyc
    fokyc
    To this day, whenever I smell a greasy donut, I think of Twickenham

Oh! Those doughnuts were the best, I remember the 8 day 1963 in Twickenham, Yummy, greasy, freshly made Doughnuts every day.

Cardiff local fish and chips come a close second, must go and get some, BYE

fokyc

• BFD
    BFD

I loved the soft ice cream cones we used to get at the ass embly hall in Astoria, Queens. Boy, that brings back memories.

BFD

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Egg muffins. The jw version of the Egg McMuffin.

My mom adopted the recipe and made them at home for us. We called them "Kingdom Muffins". (blech) Anyhow, I still make them on occasion. Yummy!

tall penguin

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Egg muffins. The jw version of the Egg McMuffin.

Please tell me you're kidding! How could anyone stomach those yolkless things?

I remember in the 1983 district convention at the International center I was there before 6 AM each morning making them. There was some JW elder who would regularly come by and stick his finger inside several of them to see if they were warm enough to serve. I hoped his hands were clean.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit