Did you have a favorite food at the assemblies (when they sold it there)?

by kitten whiskers 70 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Bacon Sandwiches

• qwerty
    qwerty

Bacon Sandwiches >

• joenobody
    joenobody

Best stuff:

- cheese danish

- egg muffin

- frozen pudding

I also remember way, way back in the late 70s, the circuit assemblies had a hot turkey lunch. Good stuff.

Worst stuff:

- fruit bags with fruits that wasn't yet ripe

- subs - very low grade crap meat w/ Kraft Italian Salad dressing

- roast beef sandwiches - also crap meat w/ Kraft BBQ Sauce

And finally...

- Cott Cola

This was the cheapest cola known to mankind. No Pepsi, no Coke. Not even a Royal Crown cola... nope. A Cott Cola. The WT probably kept those guys in business because I NEVER saw the stuff sold elsewhere.

To make matters worse, imagine a warm, almost hot can of Cott Cola on a Sunday afternoon. Just terrible stuff. You felt you were getting a sore throat as you tried to down the stuff. What was it made of? Who know?

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Bagels with cream cheese and Frozen orange juice.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

The moment I saw the topic the thought of CHEESE DANISH popped immediately into my mind!

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I remember when they had the "hot" meals when I was a little girl and everyone had their own tray. Don't remember any of the foods though..

Before they changed it to everyone brings the own cooler/lunch, I remember we would always get a bagel with cream cheese/strawberry jelly for breakfast & a fruit bag for lunch w/a lemon lime soda. I had to work one of the tables which was pretty cool and collect everyone's meal tickets. (had to purchase in advance, no cash)

• Gregor
    Gregor

Don't believe I ever saw a nice blood sausage on the menu.

• Tristram
    Tristram

I totally forgot about the frozen pudding! Frozen vanilla pudding was the best! On the Sunday after the session they would unload all the surplus food and I would make out with a case of the Swiss Miss pudding, take it home and put it in the freezer.

Other than that I really dug the burritos. I have found the Taco Bell Chili Cheese burrito to be a close approximation of it. Or, get a frozen "Patio" brand bean burrito, nuke it, and your memories will be whisked back to D.A. heaven.

T

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Semi frozen vanilla pudding. YUM.

Things have changed a lot since then. It used to be a bit nicer of an organization, I think. The food service arr. may have distracted folks, but it brought them together and gave them something to look forward to-even if it was simply helping others get some food in them! There is very little giving left in the org.

• betteroffdead
    betteroffdead

never even heard of burritos and donuts at the assemblies! man what a jip. i do remember the the roast beef sandwiches though, i liked them. and remember all my family loving the pasta salad when they came out with those. i looked for those sara lee danishes everywhere after they quit having food and could never find them, even at the sara lee outlet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit