Does Knowing the Truth Make you a Happier person?

by gumby 152 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Loosing the faith is'nt something that makes one happy so, no, I am not "happier" knowing the truth about the truth - but I am a lot relaxter.

No longer hurry to the meetings - endure the babbling around.

I 'm still wondering how I ever could believe their religious conviction - but it was so "easy" you did'nt need to think for yourself.

I am glad I did'nt have to make a decision like yours: going back and acting ...

• gumby
    gumby

Hey there budlightmeister....

I would have to say no. Because I know, and none of my family would even consider hearing what I know. I feel like Im the only one in this big jw family, that took the time to look into the truth........and they never will.

So, if your family would listen to you and agree with you....would you be happier than before? Do you now have a hope?

Warloc....missed you too.

maybe "ignorance IS bliss".

Problem with me is.....I can't settle on ignorance if there's a chance there is an answer

Doneforgood

this IS what separates the average person from the jws. Most people are content to just live life, read a little here and there, and learn these things on an academic level, as they go through life.

I gotta say I totally disagree. I'm not a minority in this.

Franniebutt

The TRUTH is that life is for living. Get the most you can out of it while you're here, chere.

I wished I could be content to follow your advise....but there is no hope beyond the "now" with your veiwpoint and to at least myself.....a "nowafter" sounds much more appealing to me if it were indeed true.

Outlaw.....you atheistic, apostate bastard from hell, no good sumbitch!!

Hopefully you will be able to eventually teach them the truth about the WBT$..Until then,do what you have to do...OUTLAW

Let's say "untill then" finally comes. Now I can say ...."see grandkids, there is gonna be no paradise at all! Your gonna just get old and die some day and never return". Will this make my grandkids happier? it might....if they grow to veiw life as many do here................ *scratches his head and wonders if HE'S really the weird BASTARD and that everyone else is normal*

I'd like to answer everyone else but don't have the time at least right now but I do notice this,

.......Perhaps I am a minority who thinks different than the rest because so far nobody has really said they care or not if they find truth as many have stated they see no benifit to truth.

Some feel they have found truth and some feel there is no truth...only reality of the present.

I started a thread a long time ago about those who have no hope and the answers were about the same as they now are........so now I KNOW i'm a weird thinkin bastard who's alone in this. Maybe I'm just depressed a bit....who knows? Maybe tomarrow I won't take the time to even ponder such ideas.

Thanks for everyones support so far. I'd give ya all a free bag shinin if I hadn't sold all my wax.

Gumby

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I'd give ya all a free bag shinin if I hadn't sold all my wax.

Ah damn! I knew I shooda kept an eye on eBay.

alt

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I wished I could be content to follow your advise....but there is no hope beyond the "now" with your veiwpoint and to at least myself.....a "nowafter" sounds much more appealing to me if it were indeed true.

Gumballs, if humans were meant to actually KNOW about the "nowafter," I'm almost positive the powers that be would have ridden up on a bicycle and told 'em.....or something.

That's why there's "free will" or "free to choose." It's kind of like you can choose Door #1, #2, or #3, and if you get it right, life is just a bowl of cherries, but if you get it wrong, life goes in the toilet. That way the powers that be don't hafta take any responsibility for what happens to us if it's something bad and they can take all the glory if something good happens for us. The powers that be dump all the decision-making in our laps. And life's a crap shoot. You just better make sure your personal pair of dice are locked and loaded for anything that comes up.

Frannie

• done4good
    done4good
    this IS what separates the average person from the jws. Most people are content to just live life, read a little here and there, and learn these things on an academic level, as they go through life.

I gotta say I totally disagree. I'm not a minority in this.

Gumby,

Sorry if that sentence sounded kinda pro jw, (after re-reading it it does read that way). I didn't mean it like that. The point I was making, is what many others have said here. Happiness is NOT dependant on knowing absolute truth. The closest thing we have to absolute truth is what science and history allow us to know. Kid-A makes a good point about self-actualization. That is what we really strive for. Not everyone gets to that level, though. For those that do not, the tendency is to find a level of satisfaction in whatever one's existence is.

Don't let fear of not "knowing" everything, or fear of no sky-god ruin your ability to find happiness. It's not a bad thing to not be satisfied with one's personal knowledge in this regard, (hence, the stiving for self actualization), just don't continue to look in the wrong places for it, if the pursuit matters to you. I know some of the more religious here would disagree with me on this, but there are times when my personal level of atheism does lend something to a discussion, even if it's not what is being debated here.

j

• parakeet
    parakeet

Gumby: "How about you personally......are you a happier person?"

Living a free and responsible life may not automatically confer happiness, but it's rewarding in its own right.

Your willingness to remain open to possibilities, while not always a comfortable path to take, is the only one that allows you to be fully yourself. And that counts for a lot. You have my admiration and my wishes for happiness in the future.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hey Gumby,

In much wisdom is much vexation,
    and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow.
    (Ecclesiastes 1:18)

I suppose any knowledge we happen to get is because we want it better than happiness.

• juni
    juni

Hi lil' bro Gumbuddy

I'm just sitting here thinking about all of the above views. We all have our own ideas and feelings based on our experiences in life. And it's good to listen to and learn from others.

I can relate to a lot of what people have said. One thing stands out in my mind. Someone said that w/the JW religion everything is black and white. Your life is laid out for you and how you should think is dictated to you. You have no choice. Well you do they say, "But be willing to accept the consequences." All of us have found that on that "way to life" in the JW religion you are kicked to the curb/thrown under the bus, however you want to describe it, depending on who you know/what your status is in the congregation.

I'll continue this another time.....have to go. Juni

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Daggum, after all that huggin and smoochin n stuf I don't even get a mention in the endnotes...

Seems me ole b*st*rd pal Gumbobbit has all lovebombed out on us.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Warlock beat me to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit