Does Knowing the Truth Make you a Happier person?

by gumby 152 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Indeed, there was a measure of happiness because for me, everything was either black or white. Life was simple because as a JW there was no question or questioning of anything. If the Watchtower said the book was green but it was really red - well, it was obviously green. So in that sense, life was simple and orderly. Was I happier? No. I'm happier now than at any other time in my life but having said that, life is far more complex now. Complexities that I, having been raised in the 'truth', was totally unaware of until I left. I guess I now see how being a witness allows people to disengage themself so easily from responsibility and obligation on many levels. If you aren't sure about something - the Watchtower will direct you on how to believe or how to act. I got half way through the very last meeting that I attended, before I stood up and walked out because I just couldn't sit and listen to the crap any longer. So yes - I'm much happier knowing what I know - even though some of the knowledge has created difficulities in adjustment to the reality of life. I guess happiness is also having the right to question and learn and be part of the world that all of my life I was taught was evil. sam.

• Gill
    Gill

Hiya Gumby!!!

Since you never had the answer to those questions in the first place, you didn't really lose anything. Nothing really changed!

Yes! Knowing the Truth about 'da Troof' has made me a happier person!!!

Now I accept that I really don't know the answer to those big questions, BUT, I live in the hope that one day, one way or another I will KNOW the who, why, what and wherefore of the Universe......and if I die and don't get to find out.....I'll never know anyway....so no loss whatever happens.

Now, I read everyting and search constantly for answers. I think far too much and it makes me happy to do that!

I don't fear death anymore. I only fear leaving my love ones behind.

And I know, that death is the next great adventure....whatever happens.

Being a JW was the miserable, enslaved condition a person could be in as it was not a situation that there seemed to be any hope of ever escaping, unlike other forms of slavery. Even the mind was enslaved!

Now, I know that happiness if Freedom. With Freedom comes responsibilities. You have to live well, help others, and search for answers with out having anyone else tell you to do those things.

Freedom, to me, is worth whatever pain it costs.

I hope all is going well for you Gumby!

Good luck in your endeavours, and keep your mind FREE!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Glad that you got your family back, man.

Maybe not. It's close to a draw. I miss the friends and structure, even though it was a terrible burden. I believe in the afterlife and metaphysical dimensions. So, the 'spiritual' component is covered. Maybe my problem is that i haven't started many new activities that i enjoy doing, yet. I refuse to fill the emptiness w new fantasies (thankyou very much, mouthy). I prefer living in a real 'no man's land', than in a fantasy.

S

S

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Gumpster

It's hard sitting on the fence.Being a Witness,you have to be all in.That way, whatever is said and demanded of you,won't cause any conflict.There are so many in my family who are so happy with being a witness.

When you find out the ''truth'' is a big lie,then you sense a sigh of relief.No more meetings,service,mandatory reading of Watchtower lies,and rules and regulations.

If you sit on the fence because of family like yourself and I,it's very hard.You can't mix the two.You need to be true to yourself and that's where the pain comes in. I wish I never heard of this stupid religion!

• kid-A
    kid-A

"I haven't a clue as to whether there is a god who loves me and the rest of mankind and whether there is a plan for all of us, i'm terrified at the thought that there might not be anyone out there in the heavens who made me and the rest of us, and I haven't a clue as to where to start in finding out the truth about life and I highly doubt i'll ever know before I die."

Gumb-meister:

These kinds of thoughts are integral to any existential crisis. Most of us who at one time believed in a god (or were forced to believe in a god) went through the same stages.

I would just ask, why must you look externally for some "plan", I mean, what plan do you need? Looking around the natural world one is amazed at the natural state of chaos and disintegration. This is simply the natural, biological world that we evolved in. It is what it is, and we cannot separate ourselves from it. We DO have the choice of embracing it and using the ephemeral nature of human existence as a starting point for living our time-limited lives to the fullest extent possible, accomplishing as much as we can. In short truly "self-actualizing" our lives. What more is there, and why should there be anything more?

The only place to find "truth" is within yourself, since psychological "truth" can at best only be defined on a subjective basis.

Finally, why would the thought of a empty-sky be so terrifying? Your admission of this emotion answers your own question: you want to find some external entity to believe in to alleviate FEAR. One need only imagine the primordial evolutionary state of humanity and its emerging sentience to realize that the evolution of the concept of god or the supernatural was a natural reaction to a world that, at the time, humanity simply could not understand. My only advice is to focus on losing your fear.....once you have done this, everything else falls into place.....

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

((((Gumby)))

You are in a situation so hard I cannot even begin to imagine. You made this decision out of love, and you should know that what you did is a sign of more love than a lot of people are capable of. You have your friends here if and when you need a shoulder.

As for the meetings, and religious zealous crap ... just let it go in one ear, and fly out of the other. You *know* what the deal is with them, and you are bigger, more loving and more caring then they will ever be.

love, viv

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Perhaps knowing the truth about the "truth", is not so much knowing the truth as a step in identifying the lies.

Now where am I? For me personally, i'm now lost. I doubt the bible as being authored by god, i'm an agnostic, I haven't a clue as to whether there is a god who loves me and the rest of mankind and whether there is a plan for all of us, i'm terrified at the thought that there might not be anyone out there in the heavens who made me and the rest of us, and I haven't a clue as to where to start in finding out the truth about life and I highly doubt i'll ever know before I die.

What is it that witnesses this " I'm lost" drama as it is thought about and written? Start right here. Start with what is most close. Don't concern yourself with "gods" or some grand "truth about life". Be still and simply discover what you really are within the silent depths of the immediate and intimate sense of be-ing and existing. Look past everything believed to be; and look deeper into what is actually looking.

There is no truth about life -- other than you. Other than what you genuinely are.

Perhaps the problem with truth is not that it is far away and difficult to get to, as that it is so very, very close.......and closer still....and closer still...

Wonderful to see you here Gumster.

j

• JH
    JH

It wasn't important for me to be happy in the "truth", as long as i would live eternally, and eventually i'd be happy.

• startingover
    startingover

Gumbdub (since recent events in your life that is such a fitting name)

Am I happier? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. But I am much more content all the time.

I personally had no problem leaving religion and god behind. Looking back I can honestly say I've always been a closet atheist. But after losing both my parents less than a year ago, I find myself thinking much more about my own mortality, along the lines of when it will happen and how. I don't feel the need for any extended time as a human being, I have lived a real full life even as a JW and have now discovered for various reasons, the things I really enjoy doing now are few in number, mainly because there are so many people in this world. I had a friend, an older guy my folks age, who was more or less a mentor to me. He died before computers and the internet were here. He was a gadget guy, and he has missed out on so much. And oh how he would have loved a GPS. If anything, that's what bothers me the most, what I will be missing out on in the future, especially new technologies, and I would really like to see the day when Jesus joins the ranks of other mythological beings.

Something else that affects my happiness now is frustration. For me it comes from having a loyal JW wife, and lots of other JW friends. Seeing them cling so tightly to their fantasy and having them view me as faulty because I don't beleive in it with them has a tendency to get a little irritating. I've also discovered how much work it is to actually think for my self. It was so easy to let someone else do it.

One thing for sure, when you put aside belief in god, you set yourself off on a never ending journey. I have come to grips with that and find it interesting, but to many they need a security that no longer exists with non belief.

With that said, I hope if you can't find happiness, you can at least find contentment. It sure works for me.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I can honestly say that I was not all that happy being a JW. The only good things that I got out of it were that I quit smoking and a few other bad habits. For this I am grateful. Once the rude awakening set in, it was downhill all the way. I never swallowed all of it and I was never any good at looking "up" to people. I am not a creature worshipper and do not accept anybody's presumptuous claims to being divine, semi-divine or having a special pipeline to the divine.

I may not have all the answers but that is okay. Maybe we are not meant to have all the answers to everything. But, at least I have no more illusions. I don't need their false carrot on a string. I got tired of their playing games with everybody's head. No more.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit