Does Knowing the Truth Make you a Happier person?

by gumby 152 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Many of us who were once Jehovah's Witnesses had a measure of happiness in our lives. For me, I had a hope in the future, I had answers as to why we are all here, I believed in a loving god who looked after me and cared about me, I had answers to all of lifes big questions.

When I found out the truth about the witnesses, I was lost in a great big world and now had no answers other than the fact that what I once believed was "the Truth" in actuality wasn't the truth.I now had to start all over in my search for truth. For me, it wasn't long before I found what I thought was the truth since I always believed in the bible. I went to various churches and began to believe that truth rested in Jesus and gods word the bible. In time I began to read about the sceptical side of the bible.....this being a result of being a member of JWD and being around folks who had been where I had been and was searching also for truth.

In time, I personally began to doubt the bible after many years of believing it to be truth and having all the answers I wanted and yearned for in life.

Now where am I? For me personally, i'm now lost. I doubt the bible as being authored by god, i'm an agnostic, I haven't a clue as to whether there is a god who loves me and the rest of mankind and whether there is a plan for all of us, i'm terrified at the thought that there might not be anyone out there in the heavens who made me and the rest of us, and I haven't a clue as to where to start in finding out the truth about life and I highly doubt i'll ever know before I die.

For many, not knowing is ok by them. They live life to the fullest and enjoy life in not knowing all these things i've mentioned. I wish I were as they are in not knowing but unfortunatley for me personally, i'm not ok with this. On one hand i'm glad to know the truth about the witnesses but on the other hand i'm left void.

So the question for me is.....am I happier in knowing the truth ( about "the Truth")

How about you personally......are you a happier person?

I'm not one who can go back to believing a lie just to have answers although many have and they can pretend. I did however go back for the sake of my family because life for me was too awful without them and I couldn't cope. I now have my family back but the difference now is.....I have no hope for me and my family and so this question now hits me in the face each and everyday........am I a happier person in knowing the truth?

Feel free to blast away......just don't hit me in the nutsack.

Gumby

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    How about you personally......are you a happier person?

I would have to say no. Because I know, and none of my family would even consider hearing what I know. I feel like Im the only one in this big jw family, that took the time to look into the truth........and they never will.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Mr. Gumboni,

When it comes to "the truth", maybe "ignorance IS bliss".

I miss you, old man.

Warlock

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I still love ya, Gumbers.

The journey starts there...

• done4good
    done4good

One of the linegring "curses", that continues long after one leaves the org, is the "need" to have absolute answers to everything. This is an addiction somewhat, and probably is why we stayed in as long as we did in the first place. Learing to accept that we don't know everything is very difficult for the ex-jw, but very important to learn in the healing process. Remember, this IS what separates the average person from the jws. Most people are content to just live life, read a little here and there, and learn these things on an academic level, as they go through life. The information is out there, even if it isn't what we think we want to hear. It's not all that bad, though.

j

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Well put Gumby, I can see where you are coming from, I personally do believe in the Bible, I am satisfied with the thought that Christ died for me, I am satisfied with the thought that I am not suppose to know it all, but rather as a child who doesn't know nor pretend to know what the Father knows. I believe that as Paul said

1 Cor 2:9 That is what the Scriptures mean when they say,

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
    and no mind has imagined
    what God has prepared
    for those who love him.” [

I dont think our little minds could handle more than what God has given us and that is the Bible, the requirments that the Bible explains is very simplistic, religion has complicated it.

Faith in Christ sacrifice, humility, love of God and neighbor, try your best and wait on HIm. Stay away from the sins that the Bible says about are not going to get life, reliance on Him, and not to judge our fellow man.

It really is a simplistic message, it is the Good News of the Christ, not a govermnent but that the blood of Christ redeems us, have faith in it, this is the simplistic message in capsule form.

I wish you peace and comfort Gumby, I hear your frustration, anger and disillusionment with the whole thing.

abr

• BFD
    BFD

Hi Gumby,

I know exactly what you are saying there. I have not been a JW for over 30 years but I always thought they had the truth. I just could not live up to the standard. Now that I know the truth about the truth I can't say I am happier. It's nice not looking over my shoulder for the big A to come and kill me but there are many other real dangers in this world. So, I am still kinda paranoid. I am still angry at the org. for the shunning policy. My mom shuns the family. Am I any happier?

No, not really, I don't get 30 years of my life back for a re-do, but I am a wee bit relieved that I am not spiritually dead.

BFD

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    For me, I had a hope in the future, I had answers as to why we are all here, I believed in a loving god who looked after me and cared about me, I had answers to all of lifes big questions.

Me too, but that didn't make me a happy person. Happiness has to come from within. At least now that I know that their teachings are false I can concentrate on fixing my own problems NOW rather than waiting for some mythical "new system" to sweep all my irritations into oblivion.

W

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

((((Gumbunny)))) I've felt lost a time or three post-borganization daze, but I realized eventually that the pseudo-happiness as a jdubya has been replaced with a great deal of relief and different, but realistic hopes. Making the very BEST of what's left of my life and movin' right along with it. That'll be a sucker-punch right in the ol' WTS nutsack.

The TRUTH is that life is for living. Get the most you can out of it while you're here, chere.

Start by listing all your good points and talents (you don't hafta include the nutsack) and go over that list, realizing that you can be terrific at just being who you ARE, Gumbolicious! Then make a list of realistic things you can accomplish to improve your life and go from there, chere.

Frannie

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

GumbDub..Welcome home!..LOL!!..Gumbster,you have a sh*t load more of your family in your life now!..You only have so much time here on planet earth.Don`t waste it on the bizzare fantasy of some religion or absolute truth..Enjoy it..Enjoy your kids..Enjoy your grandkids!..Enjoy what you have left of your life!.....To answer your question..Yes,I am happier knowing the Truth.I would not want to waste my life in that insane asylam.It`s not something I want my children or grandchildren involved with.My kids are not and have never been JW`s.I made sure of that..Your in a different position and have to handle it your own way..Hopefully you will be able to eventually teach them the truth about the WBT$..Until then,do what you have to do...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit