Evaluating Raymond Franz

by greendawn 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

What do you think of Ray(mond) Franz? I have seen here some people critisise him as not being a really heartfelt opponent of the WTS, but my view is that he was quite honest about his expressed motives against the cult. With his revelations he gave a lot of momentum to the ex JW movement (the apostate organisation according to the JWs) and offered valuable assistance to those seeking to shake off the ideological and social dependance on the oppressive cult. He opened the way for many to freedom from the WTS.

A short biography: Born in 1923 both his parents and three of his grandparents were members of the WTS while his uncle Fred was a close associate of Rutherford at Brooklyn. At the age of 16 he got baptised and became a very active and devoted member. Deceived by the org he decided to postpone marriage until the time of the kingdom which was supposedly very near at hand. He was not to marry until 1959. He was appointed missionary in Puerto Rico (and later in the Dominican Rep) where he became seriously ill due to the unhygienic conditions he had to live in and suffered greatly for 8 years. From 1965 until 1980 he served in Brooklyn from 1971 as a member of the GB.

His researches for the book Aid to Bible understanding made him realise that many of the org's doctrines were false particularly the 1914 date. Realising also that the GB was misgoverning its followers (eg Malawi versus Mexico policies) he decided to resign from it. He was expelled from the org in 1982 on a trivial accusation.

In the same year Jonsson was also expelled from the org for his monumental historical work which through seven different lines of evidence demolished the 1914 date. The GB never explained to him why they thought he was so wrong as to be worth DFing.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Once a puppet of the org, Ray realized he'd been duped. Much like most on this board. I think it was great that he published his expose. The world is a better place because of Ray.

That's my take.

BA

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

He never comes across as bitter either. A very balanced person and hios books reflect that balance

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

He comes across more hurt and disappointed than angry and bitter. Not at all like the typical apostate described by the organization. Makes one wonder what else they have misrepresented.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

We (myself and Kaytee) feel that we can never thank Ray enough for all that he has done for us. Without his information about what really was going on with the Governing Body, we just wouldn't have had a clue.

Although the first thing to make me really think was the WT/UN involvement, after that, I purchased Ray's books CoC and ISoCF. and everything fell into place from then onwards. The fear of going against the Organisation and the Faithful and Discreet Slave no longer existed and Christian Freedom took its place.

Twinkletoes

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    What do you think of Ray(mond) Franz?

He is a demonstration that even the Governing Body members can be captive
    to the concept that they are God's representatives. The current members have
    all read from previous leaders that they should not read apostate material or any
    material critical of the organization. Ray came to his realizations through Bible
    research, so he also demonstrates the GB members reliance upon tradition and
    whacky things already written by past Watchtower writers- over the Bible.

Some think Ray didn't go far enough to denounce the organization. Others say he
    should have held the position and fought for change within. I am disgusted with the
    latter idea, as I could not keep serving as an elder, promoting their doctrines after I
    was thoroughly convinced that doctrines were wrong. On the former, virtually nobody
    is going as far as they can to denounce the organization. It would take pickets and
    attempts at news conferences, perhaps starting websites and organizing cult recovery
    seminars for us to be denouncing the JW organization to the fullest.

Ray did a great service to JW's and ex-JW's struggling for understanding. While I am
    undoubtedly wrong, I could not imagine a JW actually reading his books and staying a
    JW. Everyone chooses how much they want to do against the Borg, and is free to go
    live their lives how they want.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

There is a special place in my heart for Ray Franz. If there is a heaven, I sincerely hope that he goes there. And that he sees nothing but peace for the rest of his days as repayment for the peace that he has brought to ours.

tsof

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I can't imagine anyone in a better position to open the closed door of the very top of the organization and expose it. I'm grateful to him for bothering to get the word out. Like me, he got his life back, and like me, he could've chosen to just go off and live whatever life he has left. Instead he invested a whack of that time in putting his books together.

His books are an enormous gift to JW's, whether they ever realize it or not.

Dave

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I owe my freedom and sanity to Ray. He is imho a great man. It was his books that made me finally see the light of the WTS. I could never thank him enough.

The Claw.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

His work was instrumental in my awakening.

Here's a thought. . .

If you had have written CoC and In Search of Christian Freedom would you have been a regular on JWD with 10000+ posts.

His dignified silence with no agenda and no apparent bitterness speaks volumes.

Pub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit