Evaluating Raymond Franz

by greendawn 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

The first anti-JW book I ever read (when I was in my late teens) was Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave. It made me laugh. I turned page after page and smirked and sneered, considering what a pathetic selfish fool of a man this Schnell was. I threw it away.

The second anti-JW book I read (when I was in my early 40s) was Crisis of Conscience. It made me cry, and made me sick. I threw it away.

Now, since I have reread both of them, I see the same story, told from different viewpoints, and with a different set of historical perspectives. TYWS has many very little direct documentation, but can now (thanks to resources made available to the general public just within the last few years) be documented nonetheless. COC has much documentation.

I think both can be considered worthy works.

As a small example of the comparison (from TYWS, p. 140):

Thus, during the years from 1935 to 1938, in the twilight of the Theocracy, we worked in New York City and other metropolitan centers to develop this system of things. We had as our goal to capture, brain wash and establish thousands of Kingdom Publishers, making them all think alike, like robots. When in 1938 the Theocracy was decreed, all these fell down and in abject submission before this newly erected "Image of the Beast" of the Watch Tower religion of "buying and selling." (Rev. 13)

All the companies of Jehovah's Witnesses at that time voted in a resolution declaring that henceforth and always they would accept all instructions and appointments handed down by the Watchtower Society. All shreads of congregational independence was thus given up, together with any semblance of a personal Christian religion. A new world organization based on the concept of robot-like obedience and performance had now been realized and would now expand to become a New World Society. It is described by Jehovah's Witnesses as God's Organization or Kingdom. It is in actuality nothing more than a dictatorship of the Faithful and Wise Servant Class in Brooklyn.

Ashamedly I confess here that I had a part in devising and originating such channels of indoctrination...

I do not have a copy of COC to hand, and am perhaps therefore at a disadvantage, but I submit that the above descriptions (time-forwarded, of course) reflect much the same experience, and much the same sentiment, as Ray Franz expressed.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Some have felt that Rays split with the WTS was based on personal and political frictions within the GB that escalated into his purge. They don't believe his departure was an epiphany that brought him to believe it was all a crock (the very title of his book implies the latter) After all, he was DF'd, he did not DA. He was and is only human and I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with the comments above that point out the huge, positive impact Ray and his writings have had on so many escapees of the cult.

• imfreeimfree
    imfreeimfree

If it had not been for Ray Franz and his position as a member of the Governing Body, we would not have had an insight in the inner workings of that secret organization. Though I spent almost 60 years in that system, was in Bethel and climbed the ladder to "greater privileges of service", I never knew, for instance, that a two thirds majority was required when voting on policies and doctrines before they were implemented or changed. So much for being "spirit directed".

Ray exposed the inner circle, which is out of bounds for all except the governing body; he exposed them for what they really are: autocrats, responsible for the anguish, financial ruin, and cynical manipulation of the emotions of millions of innocent people, and responsible for the deaths of countless numbers of their obedient slaves.

My personal encounters with some of the GB members led me to the conclusion that these persons, "the representatives of the slave", live in an ego driven fantasy world. They insist on complete submission to their dictates, and anyone who dares to pit themselves against their authority will experience their wrath. Ray did!!

Ray just did not fit the mould. His departure was inevitable.

Ray is to be applauded for his fearless stance; it cost him dearly. It cost him his position, his food and accommodation and relationships with many he had held dear for decades. When he could no longer tolerate the errors and the injustices dispensed as a "food at the proper time" he took a stand. It was a very traumatic experience for him and his dear wife.

Thank you Ray.

David

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

Milestone. I think any JWs searching for freedom and truth has this feeling, after reading his books. I'm hoping Ray can read this 3rd with my message, and my thanks. In Italy ISoCF is rare , the editor stopped to print it out. But I have few copies , and whenever I can I address JW friends to read it.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I want to express my gratitude to Ray as well, in the hope that someone close to him is printing this out and/or reading it to him.

I was an elder for more than 20 years. My wife was a former pioneer who frequently auxiliary pio'd, and we raised four kids who all pioneered right out of high school. Our home was party-central and we were widely known for our hospitality. I received many "privileges" including talk assignments at assemblies and conventions and administrative duties that gave me access to the upstairs offices and box seats at various convention sites. We were "pillars" in the congregation who had devoted 30 years to the organization.

We had our own crisis of conscience and came to a thoughtful decision to leave the WT world behind. We developed an exit strategy and put it into play and within months we had walked quietly away and never looked back. It was difficult, of course, and cost us a lot, but we felt it was worth it to be able to live with ourselves. During that time, I ordered C of C from your Commentary Press.

Reading your book was like receiving a congratulatory note from a kindly, beloved father telling us we had done the right thing. It enabled us to look forward rather than back. It allowed us to shift our paradigm and look what we were going through with different eyes. After C of C, we knew we were now truly "walking in integrity," that we were the ones occupying the moral high ground. It forever changed the way we looked at JWs and allowed us to shed our fears.

Ray, your decision to leave the GB and write your books, and to live the life you now live, is clearly the result of divine direction. On behalf of my entire family, thank you from the heart.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I owe my brother's exit to Ray's Book (COC) he was already disfellowshipped and probably thinking of getting reinstated (for family reasons) but after reading that book it forever changed him, and he never went back. I on the other hand still havent read either book, as all the proof I needed was when they changed the "generation of 1914" from literal to figurative. I knew it was a sham almost instantly.

• jeanV
    jeanV
    I ordered CoC from Commentary Press, reassured that it would arrive in a plain paper wrapping, had it mailed to my office, hid it in my locked desk and only read it in my office, door closed! What kind of religion inspires such fear in the hearts of its members (I was an elder at the time) that they feel they have to hide reading material?

sounds familiar ;) the funny thing is that if someone finds out and you get in front of a JC they will say that Jehovah guided it, since no one found out and some of us are still elders, what is the explanation?

In Italy ISoCF is rare , the editor stopped to print it out. But I have few copies , and whenever I can I address JW friends to read it.

I got CoC and ISoCF in Italian as word documents (downloaded from emule). If you are interested in the files just PM me.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Schnell's book snippet: Thus, during the years from 1935 to 1938, in the twilight of the Theocracy, we worked in New York City and other metropolitan centers to develop this system of things. We had as our goal to capture, brain wash and establish thousands of Kingdom Publishers, making them all think alike, like robots.When in 1938 the Theocracy was decreed, all these fell down and in abject submission before this newly erected "Image of the Beast" of the Watch Tower religion of "buying and selling." (Rev. 13)

While I haven't read Schnell's book nor the context of the above red-highlighted statement, I can't imagine that kind of dialog going on at some Governing Body meeting. It alludes to gross, unprincipled direction on the part of those heads. This is street talk, the type of language we sometimes (and understandibly) see here. I can see this as a turnoff to most current JW's as it suggests a huge lack of credibility on Schnell's part. Ray Franz never resorted to this in CofC.

Fats

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

Like many of the posters here, I will be forever grateful to Ray Franz. He helped free me from years of guilt. I had been born and raised as a JW and left when I was about 23. For years after leaving I suffered with depression and anxiety. I couldnt shake the guilt for leaving "God's Only True Organization". I was even suicidal at one point in my life, thanks primarily to the JW cult.

I finally read Ray Franz's C.O.C. in my late 30s. My eyes were opened after I read about the real "Truths" behind "The Organization" and that awful guilt is forever gone.

Thanks Ray!!!

• pixel
    pixel

Now that we are posting about Mr. Franz, it comes pretty handy to inform the forum that this week, during the Revelation Book Study, they were talking about "apostates" and an old witness, I think he is around 70 years old, said that one time a CO got Df'd along with a Governing Body member. I just said inside me: "Raymond Franz", but I doubt that the other witness would picked up his name since only few people in the borg know about him.

What did the GB say that they kicked him out from the GB for?

My comment about Franz: Don't know him, but REALLY respect him. Wish I could meet him someday to thank him and chat with him personally.

Pix.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit