Ridiculous teenager counselled at Assembly.

by Duncan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Duncan
    Duncan

The ridiculous teenager is me. This story takes me back to 1969, when I was 15 years old. We were attending the International Assembly at Wembley Stadium, near London, the only time, I think, that Wembley was ever used for an assembly.

If you’ve ever read any of the stories I posted on JWD over the years, you’ll know that I was never one of those kids growing up in the truth who always “had doubts about it ” or was unhappy and miserable with the religion, just waiting for the chance to get out. I really, really believed in it all, with a passion.

The summer of 1969 saw me, I would guess, at the most zealous, “spiritual” and devout phase of my Witness-career. In fact, smug and self-righteous are much better words. Within 6 months of that assembly I would be baptised, sx months after that I would be a regular pioneer, having left school at the earliest opportunity, causing a minor furore in the process. (What persecution! How near we must be to the End!)

For this particular assembly I got into the habit of sitting away from my family and friends, so that I could “concentrate properly”, “really pay attention” and not miss a thing at Jehovah’s rich spiritual banquet. A great deal of it also, was I wanted people – the brothers and sisters – to see me , how devout and faithful I was, paying rapt attention, looking up all the scriptures and nodding along with the speaker.

Oh, yes. Nodding along, this was important. I was a big nodder at the time. Nodding was crucial to show everyone how much I appreciated the rich diet of timely truths we were being offered. Nodding, and occasionally looking around at others, almost inviting them to nod along too. “Such prophecy! How upbuilding! What marvellous teachings!”

In my imagination I pictured myself as cutting quite a dash among the brothers. “Do you see that young brother over there? What a fine example he is! We should all strive to be like him! Just look how he handles his bible! See how he nods!”

Nodding especially came into its own when applauding. You’ll all know how many opportunities there are per day for applauding at assemblies, twenty, maybe thirty? I was big on nodding and applauding. Nodding and applauding and looking around. What a fine Witness I was!

I even had (and now we’re getting to the point of this story) my own special style of applauding. I mean, I hadn’t worked this out beforehand or anything, it just came naturally to me. Rather than just clapping hands in the way any other person might, I employed an exaggerated, very slow, deliberate pounding of the hands together. I rather thought this showed how “heartfelt” my appreciation was. I would sit there nodding, banging my palms together, once maybe every 2 or 3 seconds, each time bringing my hands together from a wide arc, starting from the kind of position a goal-keeper adopts when facing a penalty. This was truly Theocratic clapping!

Remember, an awful lot of this was not just because I was so devout – there was also a large Pharisee element to all of this, the objective of being noticed; being seen to be so spiritual. You can imagine, then, how thrilled I was when, returning to my seat after a lunch-time break, one of the attendants came up to me and asked if he could have a word.

At the time, I kind-of had a fantasy that the brothers had some sort of scouting system in operation at assemblies where they would look for fine young brothers to invite to Bethel or Gilead or something. “This is it!” I thought, “ I’ve been discovered!”

The brother was somewhat nervous and hesitant. Looking back on this now, I can picture him as a youth, not very much older than I was, being put up to this task by his Attendant Supervisor.

“Thing is, brother, “ he began, “well - would you mind terribly - er, … that is … would it be possible, do you think, uhm…. Look, could you just clap properly?”

Utterly crestfallen, I managed “Yes, of course.”

Dumbfounded and subdued, I sat quietly through the rest of that session in my seat. But at the next break, moved away to another part of the stadium. I never went back, or even near, that section again. I spent the next 4 days avoiding that area.

I’ll admit, it did pretty much cure me of my self-righteous nodding and looking around phase. So, thanks for that, brother, whoever you were.

Can anybody match this for a bizarre piece of counsel?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

LOL. At least he didn't say "Oi!, Noddy!, keep it down over there!"

My mother, however, was one of those who would sit listening with her head flapping to one side or the other as if it was easier to hear that way. Used to annoy the living crap out of me. Her clap was a sort of stacatto rapping of the hands together, the sort of exercise that would have had me sweating.

• RAF
    RAF

... ... No comment ... (Sorry it was funny)

• barbar
    barbar

The other thing that used to really wind me up were the people who mime as the speaker read from the bible. They would silently read along with the speaker but be actually mouthing the words wildly. It was like they were some sort of ventriloquist projecting words to the speaker, just in case he forgot them. Barbar

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The attendant probably thought you were showing a lack of appreciation by giving the speaker the slow handclap, which is used by crowds at sports events to show their annoyance if there is a delay in proceedings, or the event is boring.

I imagine it was an embarassing experience, but it's amusing to read about it.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I'm sure I annoyed many an individual in my self righteous days. I just can't remember any right now.

tsof

• needproof
    needproof

That was a brilliant piece of writing! Very funny and very true. I enjoyed reading it very much.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

oh man that is soo funny

in my last hall there was someone who did exactly that

cept he has never stopped since he was bout 15

and hes now a 30 something elder

and its not that nobody hasnt told him

and looking around !!! hes like a prarie dog popping out of the gruond every few seconds

oh and when hes on the platfrom...sings without a songbook..knows all the words

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I agree - a very good piece of writing - worthy of some of the more upmarket lads mags - FHM, GQ? Sadly they wouldn;t have the foggiest what this is all about - although you could generalise it a bit more to any fundy culty evangelistic caper !!! Confessions of a Theocrat!

This was truly Theocratic clapping!

LMAO!!!!

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

LOL. Great post Duncan

I remember once when I was young in the KH being told off for eating an apple. I'm not even a loud eater but maybe they thought euphamisticly it related to the forbidden fruit and I might stumble a new person.

An incident related to clapping happened at the Elland Road asembly about 15 years ago. It was when the Young People Ask book came out and all the youngsters in the ground were asked to sit in the same stand. Me, my brother and my cousin decided it would be funny to try to get everyone to clap after every sentence the speaker said as if we were all really pleased at the new release. It really caught on and every kid in the stand clapped at every pause by the speaker. We really thought we were gonna get into trouble but luckily most people assumed we had been overcome with holy spirit and those who did know we were taking the pi$$ just tutted and said no more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit