Ridiculous teenager counselled at Assembly.

by Duncan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• mama1119
    mama1119

That was hilarious!! Thanks!

• juni
    juni

Good story telling!

I remember my 3 sons doing the same nonsense! I'd tell them to cut it out, but I was surpressing a laugh which didn't help.

Oh and about those babies and clapping. How I can relate to that. You'd quick put your hand or blanket over their ears to lessen the noise. Their face would get this little evil pissed off expression and then they'd go back to sleep! And I'd breathe a sigh of relief until the next clapping time came around. I agree w/you Granny. They should've held off til the end for the clapping. And then we could go home.

Juni

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I remember singing backwards, miming etc. the thing that stands out most though was the brother in our congregation (and I think here was a a brother like this in EVERY hall) who sung badly out of tune and carried the last note of the verse, right into the first note of the next verse (hope that makes sense).

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

What a "grand" thread this is, so it is! There are some funny memories for all of us!

Hillarystep - we had an elder who was Irish who said "grand" a lot - so I just assumed it was an Irish thing. WHen you say you moved stateside - where did you move from?

• poppers
    poppers

That was very funny and well written - I really enjoyed it. Thanks

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks for the great laughs this Saturday Afternoon!!!! Clap on, Clap off....the Clapper!

r.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Loved it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    It was when the Young People Ask book came out and all the youngsters in the ground were asked to sit in the same stand.

I remember that release of the Young People Ask book. Our congregation had this sister that just recently got baptized.
    She was married at age 16.5 or so. She was pregnant by 16.8 and it was now 7.5 months later. So, we had this
    clearly pregnant girl under 18 with our group. They said to gather all the young ones, defined as under 18, and put them
    in this section. She decided to go, too. The brothers started to object, saying that these were fine examples only.

One elder defended her. "Don't you think this sister could be a fine example? What's wrong with her?"

"Well, look at her."

"She is married, but under 18. Doesn't she qualify as a good example? She came out of the world to dedicate herself
    to Jehovah after such a rough start in life."

She sat there and stood with the "good example" young people when asked to do so.

• magoo
  • Duncan
    Duncan

Thanks again to all the further replies, I'm glad my little story seems to have stuck a chord with so many folks.

Looking back, I guess lots of us can see how ridiculous we were when we were in our "zealous" phase in the truth.

hillary_step, old friend,

yes I certainly remember TR and his massive obsession with the word "fine" - it became quite a catch phrase among a bunch of pioneer-lads who latched on to anything even remotely mockable. The good thing with "fine" was, we had a particular way of just ever-so-slightly over-emphasising it, so that to the elders it sounded like we were being sincere, but among ourselves we knew we were taking the piss. Happy days.

Crumpet, hillary_step used to live in the old UK, in fact, me and him, we were at school together, almost forty years ago now. Decades later, and separated by half the world, we rediscovered each other on this board, and renewed our friendship. Look back at our posting-history, and you'll see that, a few years ago, he wrote a little series about his memories of me from those days, and I did the same with him. I think it's probably quite a unique series of postings on this board.

Duncan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit