Ridiculous teenager counselled at Assembly.

by Duncan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• mia_b
    mia_b

That was sooo funny - i remember the clapping games and the singing games. my dad was worse with the mouthing of scriptures - he used to say (quite loud) the scripture that the bro was going to use for his point and looked smug when he was right. the nodding REALLY p****d me off before i left - we had some big nodders in our cong

• Wafe
    Wafe

I had a situation like this at a kingdom hall that I was attending where I was told that I should be underlining my answers in the Watchtower. Although I cannot recall exactly, I believe when I did start to underline some one mentioned that it was in pen but I should have used a yellow highlight. I remember well that there is another group that would nitpick like this.

The Bible calls them the Pharisees.

• penny2
    penny2

As a teenager I got counselled for my skirt which wasn't quite long enough. The elder told me if I didn't wear a longer skirt, I would be taken off the TMS. That was in the 70s when mini mini-skirts were in fashion. The only clothes which satisfied the elders were 'granny' clothes (which were OK for a granny but not for a "wanting to blend in" teenager). I was most annoyed!

penny2

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

Thank you for that wonderfully story. Your writing style really took me there! I could just picture you so well.

What a gut-wrentching story! You just trying to be good, and then to be smacked over the ego with such blunt force! Oh dear. How terrible. I really felt for you.

To not know, but do the best as is known, felt, experienced in self, to him it is counted as righteousness.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Crumpet,

Hillarystep - we had an elder who was Irish who said "grand" a lot - so I just assumed it was an Irish thing. WHen you say you moved stateside - where did you move from?

Yes, 'grand' is a very well used Irish word, especially in the South, which somehow fits the brogue.

I moved from the UK in the early 70's for a few years, then returned to Europe and then back again! Duncan and I shared a school and a Congregation, as well as an friendship. We had not met for years and we both posted on JWD not realizing who the other was, and from his point of view that I had even left the WTS. I wrote a little history here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/20728/1.ashx Part 1

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/20825/1.ashx Part 2

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/21059/1.ashx Part 3

Cheers - HS

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

am i allowed to try and guess the town?

It sowed the embryonic seeds of a major UK politician,

Would it be the blind one by any chance?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

This story deserves some... um... applause

• sf
    sf

sKally

• knock knock
    knock knock

::::::::::This story deserves some... um... applause:::::::::

I tilt my head and nod sincerely in complete agreement.

• Duncan
    Duncan

Dear all,

please forgive me bttt-ing my own thread out of vanity reasons, but in 6 years of posting (6 years exactly to the day, actually) I have never had a thread that went to 50 replies.

This rich harvest is surely evidence of Jehovah's blessing! - WHAT DO YOU THINK, BROTHERS?........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit