Is David Beckham worth $250 million?

by unbeliever 43 Replies latest jw friends

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I read that David Beckham is leaving Real Madrid and coming to the US to play for the LA Galaxy. Soccer is not that popular in the US and that is a obscene amount of money to pay a player and I am surprised that David Beckham would want to finish out his career playing in the US. I guess for $250 million anyone would. I read that Real Madrid wanted to renew his contract. Do you think Manchester United would have taken him back? Imo the owner of the LA Galaxy made a bad investment. I know he is an awesome player but noway is he going to make back $250 million in ticket sales and merchandise over 5 years. Hell the LA Galaxy is not even considered a good team. I was just surprised when I read about the deal. Opinions? Thoughts?

• Jourles
    Jourles

I thought only teenage girls and younger played soccer? You mean to tell me that there are people who pay to watch soccer in the USA??

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Maybe he wants to parlay the move to LA to get in the movies? He and his wife are pretty glamorous in England (so I hear) and maybe they want to make the big time in the states?

• south african beef
    south african beef

David is only getting a portion of the 250million dollars from the soccer club.

It's not obscene at all. David Beckham has become a worldwide brand in his own right and has an A list wife who will enjoy spending their millions in LA, helping the local ecomony. What is wrong with companies like Pepsi paying him 10million a year to promote their products? They obviously get a good return. Good luck to him I say.

SAB

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I thought only teenage girls played soccer?

nah...thats volleyball you're thinking of

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Despite the PR...Beckham is most definitely a washed up player..despite only being 31.

Imo we (England )may have done better in the last World cup without him..probably the 2002 one too!Though i have to say he always ran his heart out for the Team..just wasnt in the right position.

But hey,he is a good looking Lad,very marketable and People want to throw money at him.Good luck to him i say.

Personally,ive always found him extremely likeable and endearing.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    nah...thats volleyball you're thinking of

Hey! Watch it buddy!

http://www.avp.com/

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, he MUST be worth the money or else the businesses would not be investing that heavily in him.

Remember, most of the money is coming from corporate endorsements and sponsorships, NOT the soccer club.

It's strictly a business move, nothing more.

If you think about what Tiger Woods has done for Nike, it's clear that those companies are expecting alot from the big bucks they are throwing at him.

Rub a Dub

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Since he left Manchester to play for Madrid he hasn't fitted in so well with the England national team. He's on the downward slope of his soccer career.

That having been said, he's still better than any American player I've seen, and I mean that with no rancor. He will bring both a higher profile as well as some real skills to the team and sport on that side of the pond.

Watch this space: I'm guessing he'll move into movies at the end of the contract.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I think he will be worth it to the club - but maybe not for his footballing skills. Unless he's super-fit, most players are starting to lose it by his age and are leaning towards maybe starting a coaching/manager career.

Beckham's fame will, I think bring a lot of revenue and raised profile to the club.

emo (wishes she was on £50 per minute!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit