Is David Beckham worth $250 million?

by unbeliever 43 Replies latest jw friends

• troucul
    troucul

No. But Zinedine Zidane is.

Zizou is to soccer as Tony Twist is to hockey.

I'd give my left nut to see Zizou in the MLS.

And then I'd give my right nut to see him head butt GWB.

He needed to apologize for nothing...dirty Italians....insert racial slurs here...

• bubble
    bubble

Of course Becks is worth it, he is divinely gorgeous.

Did you say he plays football...............?

It's only his lovely face and fit body the girls are interested in. Based on that he should do phenominally well in LA.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Who is David Beckam?

I actually heard someone on the radio say: "Does he speak English?"

This was tried once, 30 years ago with the old NASL (North American Soccer League) when New York gave Pele a huge contract. The idea was that even though he was on the downside of his career, he would provide credibility and publicity to a struggling sport. They wanted Pele to be sort of an ambassador of the game and get the U.S. as passionate about football as the rest of the world.

It didn't work then, and I can't see it working now. Don't get me wrong, I hope it does work. Football (soccer) is a sport I don't know much about (outside of the basics) but I'd like to see it succeed here.

Chris

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The MLS is searching for credibility, but imo Soccer will never be anything more than a niche market in the US, and so I don't think this will pan out for the league. American Football rules the sporting world in the US, everything else is just down time. As it should be. :)

Here in Columbus we have The Crew, which was the first MLS team that had its own stadium, and for several years had the most recognizeable player in the league Brian McBride as its star player, and still the games were often not even halfway sold out, and the media coverage next to nil.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I can't completely agree with this statement.

Economics is not a zero sum game. Giving Beckham that amount of money does not mean that $250M is taken away from poor people.

Where does the money come from that is paid? It is added to the price of a product that is bought by poor people to cover the advertising cost. At least that is what I think. Of course the people who make the products get some of the money back in wages but most of it goes to the CEOs.

Ken P.

• vitty
    vitty

Yes, David is gorgeous and has a real talent but its his wife Victoria I cant stand. With all that pouting and media seeking (pretending she doesnt like it) she really gets on my nerves. She clings on hubby in every photo shoot. I realized she was not genuine when she had her photo taken with a very ill little girl, she was more interested in flicking her hair and posing than the child yuk. Wait till she hits the US media circus full on, she tries to be a "normal" girl next door but shes full of it, be warned!

And shes stick thin and declares she eats like a horse, yeah right !

Me jealous?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

pink floyd were offered 250 mill to tour which they turned down

beckams deal is a five year contract which will see him play i suspect about 250 times to a full house

i dont think the floyd would have done as many shows

so yeah i guess he is worth it

still obscene of course

but only cos i'm not getting it

• Golf
    Golf

When Wayne Newton was first offered 10 million dollars for his services, he was asked if he was worth it. He said, NO, but I'll take the money.

Golf

• frozen one
    frozen one

There are professional soccer teams in the USA? When did that start? Learn something new everyday around here. Someone should invent a game that is kind of like soccer only the players would wear skates and play on ice. That would be a game worth watching!!! Go Dawgs!!

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Maybe he's not worth that much. If i did play soccer, I wouldn't mind having him on my team.

Scully: these are for you

alt

alt

YC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit