Believer, Agnostic or Atheist?

by lfcviking 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I was talking to someone the other day and I mentioned how nice it is to not really have to even define what I am in this area. I am uncertian, but it feels all so very CERTIAN..that I am OK. I am happy and for once I was aware that I did not feel the need to have to change anyones viewpoint. I just am. That is fine by me.

• V
    V

Dogmatic agnostic.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Strongly agnostic with atheistic leanings.
    WTS ruined me for the Bible, examination of the Bible
    further ruined me for Judiasm or Christianity.

If God is out there, and He wants me to worship a
    certain way, He will let me know.

Until then, I want to avoid all organized religion.

As a side note, I have no problem with anyone around
    me being spiritual, religious. Just don't force it on others.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Interesting that nobody seems to believe in an evil god, who made us for the sole purpose of watching us suffer... Either he's some all powerfull father figure who wants to make you immortal or he doesn't exist.

Just a thought.

Anyways I say he doesn't exist. So I'm an atheist.

LtCmd.Lore

• Highlander
    Highlander

Agnostic here.

Unlike the arrogant j-dubs, I'm willing to admit that I don't know if there is, or isn't a god. And I won't make up fairytales about a naked woman, a piece of fruit and a talking

snake to explain our existence.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I have to say, after finding this discussion board and reading some of the personal experiences, uneducated opinions, and blatant bitter remarks, it was hard not to think of myself as an Atheist. But then I took a step back, reassessed my thoughts and feelings and decided, for myself, that I am a Deist.

Deism is the belief that there is a God that created the physical universe but does not interfere with it. It is related to a religiousphilosophy and movement that derives the existence and nature of God from reason. (The mention of God in this article is meant more as a Creator than as the Abrahamic God.) It takes no position on what God may do outside the universe. That is in contrast to fideism which is found in many forms of Christianity. [1]Islamic and Judaic teachings hold that religion relies on revelation in sacred scriptures or the testimony of other people as well as reasoning. Deists often use the analogy of God as clockmaker.

Deists typically reject supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God does not intervene with the affairs of human life and the natural laws of the universe. What organized religions see as divine revelation and holy books, most deists see as interpretations made by other humans, rather than as authoritative sources. Deists believe that God's greatest gift to humanity is not religion, but the ability to reason.

Deism became prominent in the 17th and 18th centuries during the Age of Enlightenment, especially in the United Kingdom, France and the United States, mostly among those raised as Christians who found they could not believe in either a triune God, the divinity of Jesus, miracles, or the inerrancy of scriptures, but who did believe in one God. Initially it did not form any congregations, but in time deism led to the development of other religious groups, such as Unitarianism, which later developed into Unitarian Universalism. It continues to this day in the form of classical deism and modern deism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

To quote DanTheMan, "We are someones neglected houseplant."

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

atheist - disinterested atheist.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Definately atheist

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Put me down as a believer.

Outaservice