What Do You Do for Work?

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 68 Replies latest jw friends

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

Well... when I'm not saving the world and catching the bad guys, I am slinging drinks on the weekends at a nightclub. Overall it's a good gig, I have been doing it forever. Right now I am lookin for something new. The late nights are kicking my wonder-ass.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Oh yeah, that's right, Papa Bear, would you say it's been successful, your real job that is? And how did you learn it? By reading a book? Taking classes? Trial and error?

Successful? I've been more right than wrong.............for now, anyway.

How did I learn it? By reading and trial and error. You can take classes, though.

If you have the entrance fee and can survive the tuition costs, you might have a chance, but only if you have the love and the passion.........just like jgnat said.

Warlock

• JimWood
    JimWood

Electrical Design Engineer - part time

Student - Full time

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I work for a labour/or law firm in the litigation department; my role entails representing clients before the UK employment courts (Employment Tribunals and Employment Appeals Tribunal). I do enjoy it although it can be rather stressful and demanding. I am also furthering my education to hopefully change direction slightly and qualify as a Barrister.

Beyond that I do some part time legal research for voluntary groups in equality, gender issues (primarily discrimination) and child protection.

Keeps me out of trouble...well only just.

DB74

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I sell books online and work part time at a large appliance dealer-taking care of customers and employees. I do everything. Best part is my hours are what I want them to be and I can show up or not. Worse thing is that I don't have to show up. . .I want to get into a local online book dist. but it is full time and I'd probably have to stop my own little business.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    I sell books online and work part time at a large appliance dealer-taking care of customers and employees. I do everything. Best part is my hours are what I want them to be and I can show up or not. Worse thing is that I don't have to show up. . .I want to get into a local online book dist. but it is full time and I'd probably have to stop my own little business.

For the self-employed, what do you do for insurance? Do you have it? How do you afford it?

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I sell potties

Well, that's the short, funny version. The less fun souinding version is that I am employed as a commercial inside sales and quotations person for a plumbing wholesale company. Basically I supply the plumbing equipment (and potties) for the high rise buildings in Portland. Not really exciting, but I'm good at it and enjoy it well enuf. The pay is decent (but not astounding) and the benefits are good.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Im a Sheriff's Dept. Corrections Officer. Been at it for 7 1/2 years, my immediate supervisor is cool, and we get along well, I get along well with my co workers. But there is alot of negativity between the shifts right now. It's the most aggravating job I have had in my life, but it pays decent considering I dont have college. I will stick with it for awhile, until I get so fed up with it.

• XU
    XU

Dental hygienist for the past seven years. I'm getting my BS right now, but still can't figure out what I want to do when I grow up. Thinking of going to the career counselor, also I want to job shadow. Find people, go to work with them for an hour, see what they do, what they had to do to get there, $$$, lateral movement, vertical movement, etc.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Good Girl: I highly recommend the book
    "I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It" by Barbara Sher. It takes the same take as the course jgnat was describing... do what you love... but takes it a bit further, and helps you realize what you love. At the very worst, it's an encouraging read.

Hook up with Sad Emo and snag a copy!

Cheers!
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit