Whats wrong with Hooters?

by pobthespazz 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Noticing boobs is not objectification, Abandoned. Nobody here has said so. If you are insulted, then you clearly don't understand what I said. Why are you so defensive, anyway?

WOW! I'm glad you know so much about me. Yep, I'm way defensive. Is everyone who tries to clarify their position with you considerd defensive? Or just me? It would seem that either applies to both of us or neither of us. Your choice....

I'm sure not every person who patronizes Hooters is guilty of objectification of women. It's the company that objectifies them and some of the patrons. The thing is, some men and some women don't understand what objectification of another person means. They wouldn't have a clue if they were guilty of it. Wander is telling us he realized he was guilty of it. I am certain we are all guilty of it at times. Where the scales fall off his eyes is in his realization of his own distorted view of women and correcting it. I hope all people can have a similar eye opener when it comes to other people.

I think objectification is a pretty simple term to define: considering someone as just an object rather than a complete person. Liking a woman's body doesn't turn a woman into an object. It's one aspect of the woman that is liked, not the only one.

I suppose you could ask yourself: when you see women, do you see people or do you see walking talking love dolls? Do you run to open the door for an older, plumper, less attractive woman the way you do a younger, prettier one? Is your concern for the less attractive as great as it for the very attractive? When we women see men, do we see people? Or do we see handsome or not so handsome bank accounts? Do we look at their cars and decide whether or not they are losers?

Walking, talking love dolls? To quote someone I think you know, "those are your words, not mine." But how do you know whether I open doors for women or not? I do what I do and I don't need to blow a trumpet before myself nor feel ashamed. You seem to be worried that I may only be looking after the pretty women. That's nice of you to be so concerned, but it seems like you may doing a bit of that objectifying in reverse. Do the "less attractive" women deserve the door first or the "attractive" ones? How about it doesn't matter?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm encouraging you as I would any guy who raves about Hooters to do some introspective thinking. It never hurts. I didn't say you view women as walking talking love dolls. I said to ask yourself if you do. Only you can know the answer to this question. I kind of think you probably aren't the type to view women this way. And I don't know if you run to open the door for an older lady. It's just a self awareness issue. I ask myself similar questions at times. Do I treat unattractive people as well as I treat attractive people? Do I treat polite, pleasant people as well as I do cranky, unpleasant people? I work with customers in my job. I take note of this kind of issue in myself. Do you ever find small prejudices in yourself that bother you. I have them.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

abandoned & fhn

Now now you two if you don't play nice your gonna have to sit on the couch and hold hands.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Now now you two if you don't play nice your gonna have to sit on the couch and hold hands.

Hehe.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Aw, (((((FHN))))) -- If you were being kind, then that's enough for me. I just tried to make the point that recognizing, loving, even celebrating the fact that women are attractive on so many levels, boobs included, is something I love about myself and something I don't think needs to be changed or considered a cause for offense.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

now thats better

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

From the Hooter's site:

Sex appeal is legal and it sells. Newspapers, magazines, daytime talk shows, and local television affiliates consistently emphasize a variety of sexual topics to boost sales. Hooters marketing, emphasizing the Hooters Girl and her sex appeal, along with its commitment to quality operations continues to build and contributes to the chain's success. Hooters' business motto sums it up, "You can sell the sizzle, but you have to deliver the steak."

They focus on ONE aspect of a womans appeal, one which goes away for everyone eventually, and profit from it, that's why I choose not to support them.

Congratulations to everyone here on the healthy debate...it's very nice to see.

BTW Abandoned...pretty please with sugar on top don't take this as a jab AT ALL, but this type of thinking shows itself to others even if you don't think so, and could sabotage relationships that you want to have. Speaking from experience, women are way sharper than you think...they can see someone that hasn't matured with regard to their view of them from a mile away. You won't even know that's why they stop talking to you, they just do it. I only say this because I wish someone had said it to me sooner.

My 2 cents worth.

WLG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit