What words of comfort can you give to an ex-witness who is very depressed?

by Warlock 27 Replies latest jw friends

• bernadette
    bernadette

(((((((((((((((WARLOCK'S FRIEND)))))))))))))))

bernadette

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

I feel for your friend, Warlock. I wish I could offer a more effective balm but, as I am wrestling with my own feelings of depression at the moment, I am a bit tapped-out. I *do* empathize!

I can only offer this to your friend: a song sent to me just yesterday by a distant, long-lost-but-newly-found friend to lift me up. (We were the closest of friends as JWs, but drifted apart and each made our own hard-won exit from the life - separately. We re-connected by e-mail 14 years after our last communication.) I recommend playing the MP3.

http://twangville.com/394/the-be-good-tanyas-human-thing-a-download/

"Human Thing" - The Be Good Tanyas

Yer a human thing
    Who yah think that you’re foolin”
    Yer not foolin”, not foolin’ me
    Yer a human thing
    Yer so busy frontin’
    Confusin” courage and acting
    Move me
    Move me
    Could it really be so wrong
    To let somebody, somebody see.
    Move me
    Move me
    A girl can keep it together
    come on now, you know you we’ll take the weather
    come on now, you know we love your weather
    You got roots cannot be torn from under
    Won’t you shake it like you’ve never done before
    You’ve got roots cannot be torn from under
    Won’t you shake it like you’ve never done before
    You’re a human thing

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Dear Warlocks Friend,

I recovered from depression one day at a time, and I recommend exercise, light and good fresh food. I got a little self-indulgent and treated myself to little things more. I also took antidepressants and spoke to a counsellor. I don't know exactly what part of that cured me, but I was suicidal then, and pretty great now. Do it all. Start with the exercise and fresh food and (non-fattening) treats!

• Dansk
    Dansk

She's not alone!

Ian

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

You are definitely not alone.

tsof

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

That's right! She is not alone. I being a woman am more familiar with the issues of a depressed woman than men.

We are nurturers but have a hard time learning to nurture ourselves, as if we do not matter as much as our children, husbands, family...

Sometimes we have to spend that last dollar on ourselves or the first dollar for that matter!

We need medical care, counseling, shopping trips, our own opinions, lunch dates with girlfriends, and we have the right to make choices that people do not agree with.

I have gone the medicine route for depression long term but really don't like them unless you are really feeling suicidal, but, they are finding more and more that some meds will make you more suicidal. So do your research before taking.

Fresh natural foods like raw fruit, veggies, seeds and nuts help too. In fact I have not had any mood disorders since I radically changed my diet.

Love yourself, you are worth loving! Set high standards for yourself and how people treat you. I like Dr Phil's saying; "We teach people how to treat us."

Hope you feel better soon

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I had to jump in here, finally, and say thanks to all of you!! I'm getting hit with the "dominoe effect" right now. Alot of things are going on, and all I have wanted to do is stay in bed, and cover my head.

Last month I got laid off for a short time. Monday, I got laid off again, and going back anytime soon doesn't look good. I had been paying the minimum on bills, and now it's catching up. Plus, this is the first christmas I've had with my granddaughter. My car is broke down, phone just got shut off, I'm very surprised I have internet. I thought when the phone goes, it does too. But I know it's only a matter of time.

But, I know this too will pass. I promised a couple of good friends on here that I'd have no more nights like I had Monday night. I even scared me. After I loss internet, I can check my email from my mom's from time to time. So anyone that wants to email me, Warlock, Abandon, Juni, and a couple other's have my email.

So, I'll be around here for a bit. Thanks again for all you have said, and done. I love each and every one of you here!!

shelley

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

((((((Shell)))))

I'm the worst one to offer you encouragement as I am fully capable of being the king of funk, but I do feel compelled to tell you that things are going to work out. I don't know what I believe anymore. I don't know much of anything any more I guess. What else can you do when you realize you've been duped for almost twenty years? But I do know that many times when things looked unmanageable, I was just days or weeks away from a positive turn-around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit