Did You Ever REALLY Love "Jehovah God"?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Min,

To me, it's hard to "love" someone unseen. Being raised as a Witness, you go thru the motions.

My thoughts exactly, and the way it was for me as a dub. Dismembered

• minimus
    minimus

I still pray, esp. if I feel a need. But I'm not getting any responses (to my knowledge).

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I still pray, esp. if I feel a need. But I'm not getting any responses (to my knowledge).

Ever since I acknowledged my disbelief in Jehovah, I have been unable to form the words of prayer in my mind. I suppose the blocks in my mind switched places - before they were blocking the awareness that it didn't make sense, now its blocking what doesn't.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Minimus asked:

Honestly, how can we LOVE someone we can't see?

Exactly. We were TOLD he did a lot of things for us, and so we're supposed to love him. He loved us first, the Bible says, by sending his Son.

This all takes faith. I don't have faith. Is faith good, or bad? I only know it helps a person believe in the unseen. Being an agnostic, I don't claim to know whether an unseen "god" exists. But it is even harder to believe that this force / person / devouring fire / super-father has any feelings for any of us. He seems so far removed and uncaring. Maybe he's busy tending to other universes.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I don't think so really. I guess I tried in that I prayed but as with everyone I prayed for stuff that I needed, things I needed help with. But I never got help with them, and I never got anything that I needed that I prayed for. I used to always argue with my mother about this point, they would say "Do not put Jehovah God to the test", which meant that for instance if something came up and I didn't have any time to study for a test and I prayed to God to help me pass it, then I failed it that would be completely reasonable that he didn't answer my prayer because I didn't study and I didn't do the work to get the result. But if I studied for a test then prayed to pass it, he would probably answer my prayer then. To which I thought that was just a cop out because if I studied for the test how do I know that Jehovah helped me remember the answers and not just the fact that I studied for the test? It didn't make sense to me, especially for me when if I prayed without studying I usually failed and if I prayed with studying more than likely I would fail as well.

Whenever someone asks me the way I feel about God it's always the same answer, I quote Bartleby from Dogma "At some point he just stopped listening, I was still talking but I got the distinct impression that he wasn't listening." That was pretty early for me, 5 years old I can actively remember praying for things and getting no help whatsoever from God.

• sspo
    sspo

Tried very hard to obey his rules and that of the Watchtower but really never felt a very close relationship with him.

Like everyone else my own life was not a piece of cake and never had any prayers answered in 30 years as a witness,besides the blessing of having good health and a job to feed the family.

I still beleive that a higher source created all things, creation is a miracle.

Evolution is not for me,

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I loved him like a child will love an abusive father.

When I got to know Him better I was so happy to find He really wasn't the creep the WT told me he was.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think once upon a time I loved God. But it all got so complicated and confusing. I dont know who, where or what god is anymore. I am not sure he is there for me when I need him. I guess I am open to dialogue with God. He knows where to find me. Because I cant find him.

• XU
    XU

I did. He had a special place in my heart. Until he forgot to give me boobs. Then I thought he didn't care about me. And by the time they came, it was too late. I had developed too many critical thinking skills.

• peggy
    peggy

I have come to believe that God in nothing more then a PROJECTION of all the good we find in ourselves. We make him what he is and the WTS perverts him. I cannot worship the God that the Society creates for me.

Peg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit