Did You Ever REALLY Love "Jehovah God"?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• uninformed
    uninformed

When I was in prison for the draft in the 60's, I studied the Bible really hard and during that time, I developed a profound love for Jehovah. Over the years, the love tended to lose its intensity, but I do love him deeply and now very much too. But, I never did experience again that first 'love' as a result of so much personal study.

I love him enough still to figure he has everything figured out and in control, regardless of what it looks like from here.

I do get upset with him. I have been upset with him over the whole issue of religion. If the Bible was just written more plainly, it seems that a lot of this crap could have been avoided.

All this doctrinal crap makes me crazy.

ad infinitum.

Brant

• juni
    juni

fullofdoubtnow said:

I thought I did, and tried very hard to love him, but looking back, I guess I was mostly in fear of him.

I feel the same way. BUT I've always had a spiritual need. And it has gone unfulfilled. This has been a very helpful Topic for me to read. I believe there is a God who has created all of the beauty around us, but I have a problem w/the WT god Jehovah.

That is where I have to do my homework - trying to find a relationship w/God again - a god who is loving and not waiting for you to slip up or who is unreasonably demanding.

Juni

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I can love invisible God. That's what I did. I was quite taken back when I found out that many jws were serving Jehovah so that they can get everlasting life. Hmmm....that's a conditional love, isn't it? True love is unconditional. My love for him was unconditional, but I felt Jehovah (if that's his real name) was turning his back on me when I was a jw. Now, he really listens to my thoughts and prayer. Wow! My soon-to-be-another-jw brother said that it is Satan who's listening and helping me. What do you think?

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

This is a very interesting thread--thanks for starting it Minimus. I have had a thought: Knowing as we do that the Watchtower has twisted their teachings to make people conform to their cult, then their presentation of Jehovah must also be twisted. I am a Christian who has known and loved Jehovah for years, and I do not recognize the Jehovah that the WT presents. I guess what I am trying to say is: Is it right and fair to evaluate and reject Jehovah based on lies that were taught by the WT? Wouldn't it be better to take off the Witness glasses and re-examine Him?

They have demoted Jesus, who as the express image of His Father, gives us the full picture of Jehovah. If we want to really know Jehovah, we should examine Him through His Son. This presents a totally different picture of a loving father, who is just waiting for his children to return to him (think prodigal son story), who would go to any lengths to rescue them from bondage (think the sacrifice of Jesus). When I read my bible, it even shows me that it was Jehovah in human form that was tortured and killed for my personal sins (and there have been many!) Wow--that is an amazing thing to think about. I don't think the NWT is particularly helpful because of the distortions that it contains but there are other good versions available at the local Christian bookstore. There is alot more I could say on this but I'll end with this: I do believe that if we sincerely pray for him to reveal the truth to us as we read the scriptures, then he will help us to see that he is very different from the Jehovah of the WT.

• Honesty
    Honesty

6 Billion people having their day messed up by an angry god just because they don't buy into the Faithful Discreet Slave didn't make me want to love their Jehovah.

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, Truthsearcher, Jesus has been "demoted". Call him Michael or even Mike if you want.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

No... he never answered my prayers.

Now I love him and he answers my prayers ... It just happened that I was praying for the wrong things. He never answered me praying for Bible Studies... but he did give me a wonderful life as a Christian.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I've come to believe that what I believe is irrelevent. The same in reverse. Only when our belief infringes on the health and welfare of others is it pertinent. Then I must be censured. Otherwise it really makes no difference to me what we believe.

Jehovah? Sure, loved him, it, whatever. Prayed, waited, was answered, thanked, moved on. Now I await the full extent of his mercy if necessary, if not I'll take the booby prize and he can wear the guilt of not making himself plain.

The Society used to speak of religion by asking, "If you hired a lawyer to represent you and he did a poor job, wouldn't you fire him? Well, that's what God has done with Christendom." I say, "Hmmm, I think its time to fire the backup team if its supposed to be the WTBTS."

Only Christianity is represented here, what about the other billions on earth, does it matter if their elephant headed, multi armed God exists? Didn't a great turtle poop the earth into existence or something? If that isn't true, what is?

Sorry, feeling rather sarcastic today. Fed up with the controlling faith feed of the zealotry we endured. I wont trade one heroin for another.

W.Once

• minimus
    minimus

Religion is the opium of the people.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Ever since I can remember, I tried and tried to love God. I tried to get him to love me. I prayed and never, ever, ever got an answer. I always prayed for his will.... I guess his will was to ignore me.

When I left the JWs, I tried it all again. Prayed for help, for understanding... I prayed that he would let me know what he wanted me to do. Well, several years later and I'm still in a vacuum. I'm soooo happy to be out of the WT, but I'm still extremely conflicted about what I believe. I believe God exists, but that's about it.

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit