Did You Ever REALLY Love "Jehovah God"?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Even though I rely on science and logic to rule my life I like your spirit bible reader

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, I did.

And still do.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Thank you Tyrone van, this is the nice thing about the forum, you can give your veiwpoint and don't get judged or looked down for it. Feels good, wished it would have been that way for 22 years of witness living. But it wasn't, as many know what we are all talking about.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I thought I did- but I could never shake the feeling that my God was merely a projection of everything I wanted to happen to me in my own life. I never felt like he was a "father" in anysense - I felt that him being God should have been good enough, not father also. Also the fact that not one of my prayers were ever answered or acknowledged in any way, and that the Biblical 2-way relationship with God does not exist, didn't help my loving him more.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Mini. Let me put your question in context. Having been raised a Catholic I never really got close to Jesus. Church once in awhile, confession to the priest once in awhile, but not really close to Jesus. After converting to the Religion known as Jehovah's Witnesses I never really got close to Jehovah either. Kingdom Hall all the time, meetings , meetings, meetings. I tried to have the Christ - like personality, not the Jehovah - like personality. Yet if you reflected the personality of Jesus then you were imitating his father Jehovah as I understood it to be.

Now to that word "LOVE", Love can never be commanded, yet we are told by Jesus, actually commanded to Love God. I never really knew Jehovah or Jesus and so must admit that the love I thought I had at the time of being a Jehovah's Witness toward Jehovah was a mind set from all the indoctrination I had received all those 30 something years.

Since having left the Watchtower Society, I am empty inside, there is a vacuum that has not been filled. I don't know God or Jesus and so cannot love a person I have not met or come to know. I did my part for years and years and have not been touched by God, Jehovah, Jesus, Her, It or whatever. I read, I prayed, I cried, I died inside. I don't pray anymore. To answer your question directly. "Did You Ever Really Love Jehovah?" I thought I did, but as I look back, "NO."

Blueblades

• JH
    JH

Although I prayed and didn't get any answer, I know that life is a gift, and I thank Jehovah for what he gave and not what he didn't give.

Yes, I love Jehovah.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Years ago, of course I would have answered with an unqualified "Yes"........

But, It bothered me sometimes that I did not seem able to develop the "relationship with Jehovah that the others spoke about. I mean, I know of 'sisters' who say they go about all day in a state of conversational prayer. I could never do that. It seemed trite to bother the Sovreign of the Universe with the mundane affairs of this earthly existence.

What do we mean by 'love' in this context? the much vaunted four Greek words for love do not include one for loving a distant God whom you cannot see and only know through a book and the observation of his creation . Someone at a meeting once read a scripture that said that "The love of god means observing his commandments" so if we do his will then we must love him. I took comfort in that and just got on with it.

I "loved" the idea of the salvation of mankind, and the undoing of wrongs . I enjoyed the way of life when things were going well but... somehow I just could not get "up close and personal " with a spirit God

My wife would probably say that that is why I am here on this board right now rather than with her at the Tuesday book study.........

• undercover
    undercover

No, I never REALLY loved Jehovah...

But I was afraid of him...or more specifically, afraid of displeasing him by not obeying the Watchtower Society. Once I figured out that scam, I was on my way to being free of the fear and guilt.

• minimus
    minimus

I appreciate your comments here. To me, it's hard to "love" someone unseen. Being raised as a Witness, you go thru the motions.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i did...

up until i was 8 or9 i thought i could tell you what Jehovah looked like.

i prayed constantly as a young mother and adult..i knocked myself out doing what Jehovah expected of me for years, i didnt do it for the elders i did it out of love for Jehovah...... it wasnt till the futility of those prayers and my efforts hit me that i figured out Jehovah wasnt who i thought he was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit