Judicial Committee Audio Recording

by Shaolu 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shaolu
    Shaolu

I really need to remember to insert br tags, or just stop using HTML formatting...

• Mary
    Mary
    wasanelderonce said: As I said, the whole study course is layed out in such a way that all baptism candidates know that this structure exists. When a person learns the truth about the truth and is called before them to account for their new choice, that person should know what to expect. It is no surprise that the defenders of the faith will be both kurt and intolerant. That's the point. To pretend that they are not showing mercy when one has already decided to leave and doesn't act with honesty towards them is not painting the correct picture.

Sorry, I don't agree. First of all, many of us did not join the religion---we were born in to it and were "trained from infancy" that we and we alone had "the Truth" but most of us were frigging kids when we took the plunge and could not possibly fathom the consequences for questioning doctrines. Yes we were vaguely aware that there were Judicial Committees set up for wrongdoers, but we've always been told that the brothers are there to "help" us and that they "love us", just as a shepherd is supposed to love his flock. Therefore, we could always assume that if we had a problem understanding a doctrine, that we could freely approach an elder with our questions and that they would be able to clearly explain the doctrine with all kinds of evidence to back up their claims.

When a Witness finds evidence that proves that a major doctrine is not scriptural, they assume that they can approach an elder with their evidence seeing as the bible tells us to "examine the scriptures" and "make sure of all things". They most certainly would not be prepared for the vicious attack by the elders whereby they paint you as "demonic", "an apostate" or an "independent thinker", simply for asking a simple question. Only then do many realize that they are expected to follow these men without question and it's shocking to say the least. Please point me to any article in their literature where it tells us that we will be disfellowshipped for apostasy if we dare to question any of their doctrines, no matter if we have an open heart.

While obviously Shaolu had already made up his mind about "the Truth" before the meeting, I think the recording is an excellent example of what happens when you ask a simple question. I've experienced it first hand myself. The elders' attitude that "we're not here to debate" and that they're only question was, did he believe the Governing Body was God's channel here on earth, openly exposes their hypocritical nature.

But, to say that we weren't informed before our baptism of the extent of the loyalty which disfellowshipping requires of us, is just not realistic.

Most of us were baptized as teenagers or worse, when we were still children. Neither a child's brain, nor a teenager's brain is fully developed at that point, and there is no way that either group could possibly fully comprehend the enormity of being cut off from your family and friends simply because you don't agree with a certain doctrine. To hold any of us responsible for a 'dedication' we took while we were all still kids, is what's not realistic.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi Shaolu, if it's ok with you I'd like to share this with my local priest, he's a friend of mine and asked me to show him more about the JW's.

I got the idea from Mary, who as always, is a total genius

Anitar

• Shaolu
    Shaolu

Absolutely, Anitar. Consider it all public domain :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit