Watchtower logo on side of kingdom hall

by cyberdyne systems 101 58 Replies latest jw friends

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Sorry!

I guess "about 10 years ago" should have read "about 7 years ago".

WHATEVER! My point was that they don't do it anymore and they haven't for a while. SHEESH!

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

5thGeneration,

After thinking about it a bit more carefully, I acknowledge you're right. It turns out the KH down the street was built more like 12 years ago, and the others I've seen are also probably older than I thought. In my old age, the years are whizzing by. Thanks.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Thanks a lot buddy.

Just when I start to get fired up, you go and apologize!

Nice, REAL nice!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Wow. What timing! I was just looking at a French apostate site last night...

Le Royaume en images

http://membres.lycos.fr/ceops/index.htm

The second photo (Spain) with a tower built into the facade caught my eye. I like the stonework, but Stateside, this would detrimentally affect resale value of the property. I'm thinking it was built before the quick-build, RBC era?

But then look here: Le symbole de la Tour de Garde

http://membres.lycos.fr/ceops/index.htm

(Forgive my fractured understanding of French): "The Jehovah's Witnesses criticize the symbol of the cross... replacing the symbol of cross with cross with the Tower?"

They provide worldwide examples of how the tower symbol is integrated architecturally. Brooklyn, Japan, Venezuela, Lesotho, etc.

This stuff fascinates me. I'm a student in the Historic Preservation program at Drew University. My main interest is architecture. When the sister I was studying with was criticizing church steeples as phallic in nature, I gathered info on Romanesque bell towers, Egyptian obelisks, Muslim minarets, Native American totem poles and Asian pagodas. She wasn't interested in discussing the WT's own symbology, and had already flatly refused to look at anything pyramid related, so I respectfully dropped it from our discussion.

The Society is right in line with all these worldly "pagan phallic symbols" and I'm fairly sure Russell borrowed the tower from Masonry. "Imitation is the best flattery."

Lastly, I knew a number of people who volunteered in the restoration of the Stanley Theater in Jersey City, and yes, they did remove "pagan" symbols. I think they were either faces of Roman gods or fruit wreaths with snakes. Don't remember now, no longer care. The addition they put on the Stanley was so WRONG that NJ preservationists use it as an example of what NOT to do when repurposing historic structures, religious or otherwise.

~Sue

P.S.: Sorry I couldn't make the paths clickable links, please copy-n-paste.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Fled from the Tower,

During breakfast and morning worship one tempest-tossed day at Bethel, circa 1970, we heard thunder and then a huge crash. Upon dismissal, we hurried out of the 124 building. To the right of our dorms (107 C.H.) was a newly-built, modern brick structure, sporting atop the facade, as I recall, a stylized watchtower battlement. It was lying, scattered about the sidewalk---struck moments before by lightning. 'Why did Jehovah allow this to happen?', we mused. This is a true story.

Thunder-struck,

Compound-Complex

• Zico
    Zico

5th Generation, Like I've already posted, our Kingdom hall was remodeled about 5 years ago and we put a WT logo in the brickwork, I know this because I helped to build it, and since they wouldn't have let me work on the hall if I wasn't baptised, and I was baptised at 14, it was much less than a decade ago.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Re; the comparison of wearing a cross vs a watchtower tie pin....

You can purchase a watchtower pendant and chain on ebay from time to time...didn't see any tonight but they do show up...earrings, pendants, pin, MONEY CLIPS ! LOL

A symbol is a symbol and an image is an image....cross, stake, watchtower....

They just built a new hall here in the area....i'll take a drive by this weekend and see if there is any corporate logo visible !

*** I wish I knew someone in the jewelry business....I'd like a watchtower surrounded by a red circle with a line through it on a pendant....good conversation starter ! LOL

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Well i'm glad this topic raised so much interest! Its reminded me that my old assembly hall also had a watchtower built on top of it, i'm amazed i've never thought of the connection between condemning respect for the flag or national anthem and symbols, and yet the WTS was doing it right under our noses! More double talk from the borg.

CS 101

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Zico,

Your elders must have been dufuses then.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The lo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit