I hate having JW parents.

by reneeisorym 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

(((Renee))),

I'm so sorry for you. I used to work with Alzheimer's patients and while it was a very rewarding job, it could be extremely frustrating at times too. When one of the residents would say something mean or do something weird, I just had to remind myself that it was the Alzheimer's doing it and not these lovely people I'd come to love. So, you do the same. When your parents pull this crap, remind yourself that they wouldn't do it if they weren't brainwashed by that horrid organization. Remind yourself that deep down, your parents love you and would show that love if it weren't for the indoctrination.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Congradulations on getting married, Live your life. No regrets.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Congratulations!!!

It's your day, do what is going to make you happy. My folks came to my wedding 'in spite of everything' but they were so miserable, this little black cloud of doom hung over mum's head all day. It would have been a better time for everybody if she wasn't there.

I say, don't protect them from their silly righteous hurt. They don't deserve us!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Just wanted to add my 'dittos' to the 'do what you want and be happy' theory of getting married. You are marrying your sweetheart-not your parents. If she can barely bring herself to speak to you, you certainly shouldn't be making wedding plans to please her. If she cares, let her know the colors for her brides mom's dress, but don't consult with her on it. It will be a waste of your heart energy. Save it all for your fiance. Marriage is hard enough w/o the wedding being so difficult. Best wishes to you both. I hope you have a lifetime of joy together, grow in the same direction and make beautiful babies someday.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Don't allow her any control AT ALL in the way your wedding day goes. Invite her, and make sure that if she didn't show that it would have no more effect than if any other guest missed a plane. Your wedding day just isn't the day your needing another round of spite - try to get over it and be done with it before the day. Have someone else arranged to walk you down the aisle, someone that is trusted, and if they show and want to do it, well so be it, but don't expose yourself to potential disappointment.

And ask if they do come that they would control their whacky behaviour.

• vitty
    vitty

I would plan the wedding that you want. Let her know how its going to be, tell her you really want her there but if she takes the decision to stay away then thats up to her.

Id point out that she may regret it if she doesnt come, and why does she need to tell ANYONE your getting married, its nobodys business. If she doesnt say anything , no one can comment on her going or not going.

She may be more afraid about what ppl will say, then it affecting her conscience

• bubble
    bubble

Congratulations on your engagement. Please go ahead and have the wedding you've always dreamed of. If your parents don't show it will be their loss not yours. My parents didn't come to my second wedding, and I can honestly say it didn't really bother me.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Speaking from experience, I say do your wedding they way you want. Have the ceremony wherever you want. We decided to have our wedding outside so my mom and sister didn't have to step inside a church. Then at the last minute the told me they were not coming. They said by coming to the wedding they would be approving of me marrying a "worldly" person. Of course it rained and we had to scramble to move everything to a church. A couple of friends of mine couldn't find the new location and missed the ceremony.

Make your wedding everything you want it to be. Don't let your family dictate what yourwedding will be like.

• Woofer
    Woofer

congratulations!

I hate having JW parents too (and my whole family). My parents did not come to my wedding and they have never met my 4 year old daughter. It's a shame because they are missing out on so much.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm sorry, (((Renee))). Your life is your own, and you deserve to be happy and enjoy your wedding.

Years from now, they may be kicking themselves in the arse for missing it. Some people change, others don't. We never know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit