Bush's war on terrorism a failure?

by frankiespeakin 61 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think Bush's method of fighting terrorism only creates more terrorism. The US government has acted like a terrorist to the people in Iraq, such actions canonly lead to more justification in the minds of would be terrorist.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think the evidence is mounting that Bush's religious beleif also play a part in his decisions. Taken from the washington post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17347-2004Apr16.html

"I believe we have a duty to free people," Bush told Woodward. "I would hope we wouldn't have to do it militarily, but we have a duty."

The president described praying as he walked outside the Oval Office after giving the order to begin combat operations against Iraq, and the powerful role his religious beliefs played throughout that time.

"Going into this period, I was praying for strength to do the Lord's will. . . . I'm surely not going to justify war based upon God. Understand that. Nevertheless, in my case I pray that I be as good a messenger of His will as possible. And then, of course, I pray for personal strength and for forgiveness."

The president told Woodward: "I am prepared to risk my presidency to do what I think is right. I was going to act. And if it could cost the presidency, I fully realized that. But I felt so strongly that it was the right thing to do that I was prepared to do so."

Asked by Woodward how history would judge the war, Bush replied: "History. We don't know. We'll all be dead."

The president told Woodward he was cooperating on his book because he wanted the story of how the United States had gone to war in Iraq to be told. He said it would be a blueprint of historical significance that "will enable other leaders, if they feel like they have to go to war, to spare innocent citizens and their lives."

"But the news of this, in my judgment," Bush added, "the big news out of this isn't how George W. makes decisions. To me the big news is America has changed how you fight and win war, and therefore makes it easier to keep the peace in the long run. And that's the historical significance of this book, as far as I'm concerned."

Bush's critics have questioned whether he and his administration were focused on Iraq rather than terrorism when they took office early in 2001 and even after the Sept. 11 attacks. Former Treasury secretary Paul H. O'Neill and former White House counterterrorism coordinator Richard A. Clarke have made that charge in recently published memoirs.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Kofi Annan's comments on Iraq today:

"On the question of the military presence, obviously it is a difficult issue. The US in a way is trapped in Iraq, trapped in the sense that it cannot stay and it cannot leave. There are those who maintain that its presence is a problem, and there are those who say that if they leave precipitously, the situation would get worse, and that they should stay on to help calm and stabilize the situation before they leave. I think the US obviously will have to think through this very, very carefully, but the timing of its departure will have to be optimal in the sense that it should not lead to further deterioration of the situation but try and get it into a level that when it leaves, when it withdraws, the Iraqis themselves will be able to continue to maintain a situation that would ensure a reasonable secure environment."

His biggest regret?

"On the question of regret, I still have to say it's the war in Iraq, and that the debate and the discussions that took place in the Council could not have helped us stop the war. I firmly believe that the war could have been avoided, and that the inspectors should have had a bit more time. And then of course, after that, on [19] August 2003, the tragic loss of my colleagues and friends who had gone there to help because we believe that regardless of the differences, we should try to get Iraq right. And these wonderful colleagues and friends offered to go, only to be blown away, and that really had a, it was very hard on me and my colleagues. It was very tough to digest and to accept."

Swalker

• rwagoner
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think Bush's method of fighting terrorism only creates more terrorism. The US government has acted like a terrorist to the people in Iraq, such actions canonly lead to more justification in the minds of would be terrorist. I totally agree. The guys a idiot ,moron, or he just screwed us all.

• freetosee
  • Borgia
    Borgia

As long as people allow themselves to be persuaded by concepts and ideas, whether political, religious or any other one for which no justifyable evidence can be put forward, people will put themselves in the position of committing atrocities like the ones we have seen over and over in history.

Therefore declaring war on terrorism is like declaring war on murder, rape or even war.....no-brainer.

cheers

Borgia

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Rwaganer,

I think it funny that all you can do is some patriotic flag waving and declare:"I'm proud to be an American" in answer to the question about the subject: Bush's war on terrorism a failure?

I'm sure glad everyone is not as braindead by patriotism as that.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Name one major act of terrorism in the United States since 9/11, then ask me that question. I don't agree with being in Iraq, but I will not agree that we have not done something to slow the terrorist down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit