Personality of "Anointed" JWs

by Smiles 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• hambeak
    hambeak

My mother and grand mother both claimed to be of the anointed. Both very kind and loving women. My mom would get very irritated at some when she would notice people pointing and whispering some even treating her special which irritated the p**s out of her. Her biggest fault was her pride by that I mean she was very poor and never would let the cong. help her in her last years ie: yard work or maybe fixing a fence you know anything around the house she always would tell them don't waste your time on me go out and preach. I live in Tx and she in CA. Of all the dubs I knew she was no phony and did not ever judge anyone but whatever came in the wt it was never ever questioned.

• Confession
    Confession

Bam, I enjoyed your comments too. Quite a character, your mom. And, XJW, I got a huge laugh out of the fat-lip mic pop! For YEARS I handled the mics and much preferred the congregations where we just handed it to the commenter. I remember one sister who used to give long comments too. One elder once told her later, "Sister, that wasn't a comment; that was a talk."

With reference to the original question...I agree with Blondie's analysis about the mixture of wonderful to nutty being the same among anointed and the so-called "other sheep." I suppose it would follow that anyone who accepted this honor for themselves would perhaps ordinarily be one looking for special attention--and as such it might be obvious in their actions.

While I imagine there are a good many like this, I have to say that my father, who professed to be of the anointed since before I was born--and still does to this day (at age 74), really is not that sort. A bit unusual? Yes, he used to make me and my sister groan in our seats with some of the corny stuff he'd say from the platform. But he never demonstrated a desire for attention or privilege for himself. He really is a pretty humble guy. He likes to talk but is not much of an intellectual. Mainly he just likes to talk about his experiences in field service and on studies. (Although he enjoys sports too.) And I can't say I've ever seen him act "Pharisaical" either. He's quite zealous for the organization, but I never recall him "Lording it over" anyone. He seems to reject anything that might be considered a special privilege too--not that such a thing presents itself often. For instance, when my older sister got into a bit of trouble with another elder's son many years ago, the other elder tried to keep things quiet and handle the situation between he and my dad. But, since there were only two elders serving at the time, my dad did the honest thing, and brought in another brother from another congregation to lead the investigation--to the intense chagrin of this other elder.

Do any of you know Amazing from the forum here? Great guy who truly believed he was of the anointed for many years. If you read his story about coming out of the organization, you get a clear picture of someone who was being perfectly honest with himself--not a nutty poser.

So I'm convinced that not all of them are seekers of attention, but something just happened one day. They were especially affected by a talk or some of the Society's literature. They had a great experience in service...who knows? Forces (imagined or not) combined to make them feel they were specially chosen by God, and they really believed it.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Very interesting point, Confession, and I did not know that about Amazing. I'll check his stories out.

• return visitor
    return visitor

My wide has always said that the anointed that she knew she wouldn't want ruling over her.

RV

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Confession:

Forces (imagined or not) combined to make them feel they were specially chosen by God, and they really believed it.

I continue to find statements like this just plain wierd, but hear them regularly. It's got nothing to do with feeling special at all. I can't help wondering if a little bit of projection is going on.

When you look up into a huge star-filled sky and realise that you are just a miniscule part of a wonderful galaxy, does it make you feel "special" or dwarfed by reality? I don't know if that conveys something, but I hope it does...

• freetosee
    freetosee

I found it interesting that they were much envied by the others and it was always questioned if they really are anointed. They had the same bible knowledge as everyone else, the new light was just as new to them as it was to us.

fts

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    And, XJW, I got a huge laugh out of the fat-lip mic pop! For YEARS I handled the mics and much preferred the congregations where we just handed it to the commenter. I remember one sister who used to give long comments too. One elder once told her later, "Sister, that wasn't a comment; that was a talk."

Yeah, over time it got funny, but I tell you, I was so embarassed, and I apologized profusely to the sister. I remember thinking that I was going to get yanked from mike duty over it. It was like I had defaced an image of the Virgin Mary, or something. After that, I made sure that I never ran the mikes on her side ever again.

• Confession
    Confession

Confession:

Forces (imagined or not) combined to make them feel they were specially chosen by God, and they really believed it.

I continue to find statements like this just plain wierd, but hear them regularly. It's got nothing to do with feeling special at all. I can't help wondering if a little bit of projection is going on.

Sorry if this was irritating, Little Toe. Now that I think of it, I seem to remember your discussing this subject previously. That said, I can't say I understand your comments. Projection? How so? The fact is, while a JW, I never understood how a person just knew they were anointed, and I certainly never thought I was--nor was I struck by any penetrating spiritual experience. And the explanations provided by the WTS (I can admit now) struck me as unsatisfying. ("They just know, okay?") I don't think I have anything to project.

I seem to recall your previously making mention of a profound realization you once had. I would not deny nor denigrate such an experience. In fact I find it highly interesting. I just hope you can understand that, since I have experienced no such thing, I might make a comment that demonstrates an ignorance of the subject.

When you look up into a huge star-filled sky and realise that you are just a miniscule part of a wonderful galaxy, does it make you feel "special" or dwarfed by reality?

I have looked up into awe-inspiring skies, yes. I have realized that I was just a miniscule part of the galaxy, yes. Has it made me feel special? I don't think so, no. Dwarfed by reality? I'd say yes. Please help me (if you've the time) to understand what this has to do with a person's realization that they were anointed.

I would like to point out that I did not actually say 'they thought they were special.' I said that they felt 'they were specially chosen by God.' I believe this is what JWs teach, no?

Your comments are always enjoyed and appreciated,

Confession

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Confession:S'ok, I'm not irritated in the slightest, and I value your opinion and perspective. I'm just attempting, in my off-the-wall manner, to explain a perception.

Since many JWs "feel" that the "anointed" are special, it almost seems natural that the anointed must feel special, and hence when they appear distance it might be interpreted as aloof. All the things that an individual thinks must be going on in an "anointed" persons' head are then projected onto that person whether they think them or not. I'm attempting to challenge that perception.

IMHO the dwarfing sensation of being consciously united with the Divine has a humbling effect. I can't honestly say that I even once felt "special" because of it. Hence my analogy to being self-aware in a universal sense.

• evita
    evita

Welcome Bam!
    I have a story similar to yours. Reading about your mom has brought up painful memories of my own mother who died 2 years ago. I was going to tell her story of being "anointed" but I can't bring myself to. Someday...
    Eva

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit