What is your purpose here?

by The Scotsman 121 Replies latest jw friends

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

Daystar, I was thinking along your lines with digging up the past. If the past isn't important, than why do the roots of The cross, christmas, and freaking WIND CHIMES matter!

Ad Hominem is what people with no valid argument use, attacking the arguer instead of the argument.

Ad Hominy is yummy with butter and salt

The Scotsman, I look forward to working out in service with you this weekend!. BTW, we could both be DFed for participating in this board. See you in Gehenna!

• Ade
    Ade

goed vir jou agent smith.

you tell him straight

ade

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

Heita Ade, So n bek moet Jam kry!

'The Scotsman, I look forward to working out in service with you this weekend!. BTW, we could both be DFed for participating in this board. See you in Gehenna!'

That was funny! Bravo!

• daystar
    daystar

Ad Hominem is what people with no valid argument use, attacking the arguer instead of the argument.

Ad Hominy is yummy with butter and salt

LOL! Just having a wee bit o' fun.

Hmmmm... I'll have to try it with butter and salt next time. I actually quite like it plain!

• Clam
    Clam

Hello Scotsman and welcome. When I left the Jehovahs Witnesses there was no support network. This forum is just that. It offers many other things but first and foremost IMO it's a support network. So many people are affected or hurt by Jehovah's Organisation, that this kind of forum is priceless. If I can be part of the process to offer help, advice and opinion to people who need it then that's a very good reason for me to be here. Other than that I think it's a superb community of intelligent, switched on and funny people. It's a great crowd!

great_crowd_ascending_mt_of_jehovah.jpg

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    I have never been more sure that this is an organisation with Jehovah's backing.

Then there's no reason for you to post on a site devoted to ex-JWs.

I was born to Witness parents and stayed with it for 46 years. I believed everything sincerely and wholeheartedly as THE truth and I believed that whatever was wrong would be fixed by Jehovah "in His due time." My firsthand experiences proved to me that this is NOT the truth. Jehovah's Witnesses are merely another mainstream religion with a few quirks to make them different (i.e., no Trinity belief, no hellfire). They are no better than anyone else -- there are good people and bad people in that organization. In many ways they are worse.

My condemnation of the Witnesses is because they preach that they ARE better, but they harbor child abusers, show an appalling lack of love to their members, and by their harsh and unloving rules have driven more than one person to suicide.

I speak from experience. My father was one of those who committed suicide because of the way the elders treated him. I left the meetings, never to return, because of the lack of love shown to my 6-year-old son when he was in a wheelchair. I watched how the elders in five congregations blackballed and persecuted my husband when he confronted his parents about the abuse he suffered at their hands when he was a child while elders in another congregation treated a convicted sex offender like the prodigal son and threatened the congregation members with disfellowshipping if they spoke of his crimes or warned parents about him.

Lest you think this is merely on the congregation level, I assure you that I wrote numerous letters to the Society and received not one word of encouragement or anything useful. Their reaction to my father's death and my condemnation of the elders: "We feel your anger is misplaced." It was a very carefully written legal document, not a letter from loving shepherds concerned for the flock.

Hey, if this is what you want, if you're happy, fine! Just don't go condemning others or feeling superior because they aren't Jehovah's Witnesses anymore. And make sure you really know THE truth. Stick around and read some of the "Best of" threads. You might learn something.

Nina

• Undecided
    Undecided

Are the ones who are the FDS really giving you the food at the proper time? It seems not, only a few old men at Brooklyn give out this food, who the FDS follow the same as you. Are the FDS INSPIRED by holy spirit or just directed by it, or should I say the Governing Body? Explain the difference of being inspired or directed?

They vote on issues of truth, do the ones who vote yes have God's spirit and those who vote no not have it?

See the reality of things, just another bunch of men who claim God's spirit, where is there any proof that a God is directing any religion?

Ken P.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

THis is in answer to the original post. You'll notice my posts do none of those three things, pretty much everything I said here can be easily researched if you go to my original congregation. The reason I'm here

I didn't like being a witness, I wasn't happy there, I felt really constricted and it just wasn't for me. I always thought the scripture was that the truth was "refreshing" you know "Come to me those who are toiling and loaded down", well I felt that way AS A WITNESS. So how could I go to Jesus (as represented by the Faithful and Discreet Slave) when they were the ones that were making me feel loaded down.

I'm still here more or less to lend support to people who are on their way out and need validation, make some jokes about the more ridiculous dogma in the religion, and in genuine just take a lighter look at something that was my entire life up until I was 19.

• lola28
    lola28

Hi welcome to the forum,

lately I've been thinking about this A LOT, you know why the witnesses say that there could be no such thing as hell because Jehovah is a loving god and would never torture someone like that? Yet they also claim that this same god will kill billions of humans, now ask yourself, how is that loving? And am I willing to serve such god?

Lola

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    A few of you have mentioned my apparent naughtyness in actually coming here after the resolution at the DC. This is a fair point. I am now doubting whether to come back. I feel it is good to talk.

The Scotsman:

I say BRAVO! to you for having the guts to take the first step to thinking for yourself! I welcome you and commend you for taking this step to join JWD and open up honest dialogue. You obviously have a curiosity about alternatives to the WTS. We all were there once - in fact, many of the members on here are currently serving in congregations all over the world as publishers, pioneers, speakers, elders, MS's, PO's, etc.

It is good to talk and you have received some very respectful and informed replies. Please stick around and tell us more about yourself.

I'll start off by saying that I would be interested in your take on the change of the significance of 1914, which was always the bedrock of the WTS "truth" that I grew up with. What do you think happened to change this? A light didn't get brighter - it completely went away. Are you comfortable with that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit