THE END IS NEAR

by Mary 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

When we were part of the org, everytime we would hear these words thru the magazines or at assemblies, everyone would never question anything about it, just believe. We never thought, "but they said that at the last assembly". The last couple of assemblies we went to, when someone would say it was the best assembly, we would say to ourselves, "but that was what they said last time, nothing new." It's amazing how you block your mind to what's true, wanting to believe this has Jehovah's direction so badly. We'd see old friends, say "we're still hanging in there", and "at least we're still here." Now I know why we said those things. I look back with regret at the many studies I had, telling them things would be over before "this generation" was gone...URGENCY! I'm so glad we saw the light, wishing I could take a lot of things back.

Little Bo Peep

• zagor
    zagor

it might not be relevant to this discussion but what I find facinating that at amost every time when key people of the WTBS were approaching the end of their natural life their literature was rife with prediction of the end. You could almost plot the chart, shortly after 1914 fiasco Rusell died, few years after 1925 Rutherford died, shortly after 1975 Knor died, as 1980 and 1990 started rolling more predictions came and them Franz died. You could almost draw a conclusion that as people are appraching the end of their natural life, they are becoming more eager to see something that would otherwise stop the inevitable for them.
    I mean, this is not in any way a statistical analysis but it is something that I find rather interesting ... just a thought

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

((With all the ridiculous hype amongst the Dubs about how this new tract is going to help bring about "the end))

No, the ridiculous hype is among the ex JWs and apostates who oh so hope that the JWs have got it all wrong.

To repeat, no hype, just a timely message, the end will come at a time of Jehovah's choosing.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    No, the ridiculous hype is among the ex JWs and apostates who oh so hope that the JWs have got it all wrong.

1914, 1918, 1925, 1975 . . . . . .

Sorry Scotty, but these dates were not predicted by ex-JWs.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hi Scotsman, welcome to the board.

You said:

I for one would certainly hope JW's are correct that the problems facing this world will soon be over.

I have been hoping that for over sixty years, my father hoped before me and my grandmother hoped

for that when she was baptized as a Bible Student in 1914.

I am now taking note of two scriptures not stressed

very much in the publications:

Luke 17:22-24) 22 Then he said to the disciples: "Days will come when YOU will desire to see one of the days of the Son of man but YOU will not see [it]. 2 3 And people will say to YOU, ‘See there!’ or, ‘See here!’ Do not go out or chase after [them]. 24 For even as the lightning, by its flashing, shines from one part under heaven to another part under heaven, so the Son of man will be.
    Luke 21:8) 8 He said: "Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and,

‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them.

yesidid

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Regarding "The due time has approached" (= "the time is at hand" in the KJV) compare the following publication titles:

1889: The Time is at Hand (book)

1944: God's Kingdom is at Hand (book)

1962: Take Courage - God's Kingdom is at Hand (booklet)

1973: God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached (book)

1975: Mankind's Salvation Out of World Distress at Hand (booklet)

1988: Revelation - It's Grand Climax at Hand (book)

• avengers
    avengers
    Now, where have I heard that before? *scratches head in wonder*

• greendawn
    greendawn

For the adventists and the their various offshoots like the JWs the end has been near since the early 19th century that is for nearly 200 years starting with Miller and his Millerites. One of them called Barbour passed on 1914 and the end of times hysteria to Russell. To the FDS the end is big business since it is at the centre of their propaganda that draws people into their org. It elicits a false hope and a haunting fear at the same time.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

To repeat, no hype, just a timely message, the end will come at a time of Jehovah's choosing.

I delivered this "timely message" in the 1970's.....running around morning, noon and night with my 100 tracts in ten days (you wimps of today) and WE were told and told others...it's just around the corner...way back THEN!!!!

You just don't SEE how stupid and foolish you SOUND to everyone BUT other JWs!

Jehovah may not "choose" to end it" for another 100 years!

To be fair----come back and talk to us in ten or twenty years.....when YOU get sick of being duped by the WTS.

Annie

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    To repeat, no hype, just a timely message, the end will come at a time of Jehovah's choosing

Wow, more words of wisdom from our latest apologist!

Is this one like the "timely messages" concerning 1914, 1915, 1918,1925 (since when millions living then have since died, contrary to what the then - president of the watchtower society promised) and 1975?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit