WT monitors sites?

by Gordy 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Gordy
    Gordy

Is the technical information in the email common knowledge there? If this information is known to only a select few this thread could help them close in on him.

That could be true, but the person concerned no longer lives in this country. He is basically retired and now lives abroad.

Also it was maybe up to 2-3 years ago he worked at Bethel on the computers.

All I can say if the WT is that paranoid about "apostates" etc that they have to go to such lengths. Then there is something seriously wrong with them.

• sir82
    sir82

Skeptic2, I'm with you on this.

This is, to me, one step below the "I shook Ted Jaracz's hand and saw his eyes turn to lizard eyes" type of post.

I'm sure they have someone reading the stuff on discussion boards (some of the latest stuff I see in the magazines are direct responses to issues raised on this board) but I really doubt they spend all that time & effort to track down individual disgruntled members.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Actually, Skeptic, it's not difficult for any ISP to "catch" anyone at anything, if they have the mind to read e-mails going through, whether an internal or external ISP. It only makes sense that WT is its own ISP, and therefore has no problem whatsoever reading internal e-mails.

This, of course, is in reference to the homosexual witch-hunt, not about them tracking posters down here.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    When that image loads, it will log your real IP address.

Good point about the invisible image, no need for a real link. But for 99.9% of people their real ip address is dynamically assigned by the ISP, so all they can tell is what ISP a person is with.

And this has no relation to carnivore. This would require to spend their time posting new posts on forum websites that people will read. Given the effort, what's the point?

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

BabaYaga - I didn't say it was difficult for an ISP. And you make my point, why install a top secret packet sniffing system when they can simply read incoming and outgoing email, either because it goes through their mail server, or through using any free packet sniffer. The mention of things like carnivore and comverse makes it sound ridiculous.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I don't know....I suspect that they may monitor websites but all this cloak and dagger "carnivore" and Isreali-like phone taping stuff sounds like **cough**cough**bullshit**cough**cough** to me. With dynamic IP addressing, the use of proxy servers, and NAT (network adress translation), unless you're just not being careful and giving out too much personal information, there's very little they can do to "catch" anyone.

I think it's more likely that someone posts too much information and gets caught that way rather some old geezer in Brooklyn using technology to do it. They can't even remember the lies the tell from one magazine to the next.

• TheKings
    TheKings

i think it's unlikely as well, but if they find out your ISP and your IP they can alert the ISP via a phone call that you are harrasing their organisation blah blah blah...and get you shut down.

i've been told to do the same thing when i was stalked online...find out their isp and make a call.

it's plausible, but, again, unlikely.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Yes, the Society monitors this and other boards. This was confirmed for me wheh I was giving depositions and testimony in the child abuse cases. They wanted my screen name and the names of others who post here on JWD. Gave them my screen name. However, my PC is not penetratable, even by the CIA. I have a fool-proof system. I made the conversion after I caught the Society hacking into my system a few years ago.

ADVICE: If someone wants to stay annonymous, use an annonymizer that encrypts your IP signature. Further, use a PC at a public library or in a computer coffee shop, or hotel lobby. Keep all confidential work on a CD or floppy, and not stored in your hard drive. And be sure that when you do post, that you have stated nothing for which the Society can make a legal issue with which to litigate against you. If the Society ever comes after anyone, I highly recommend stopping by your local NBC, CBS, FOX, of ABC station on your way to your attorney's office.

Jim Whitney

• truth.ceeker
    truth.ceeker

Well, it would seem that either the monitors knew about Joseph Cano's actions and could be held accountable, or he was able to find a way around it, or it does not really work that well. Most of this technology works well for high speed, (broadband), connections to the 'net' that are 'up' all of the time. But for the user who is still on dialup and going through a proxy like AOL®, EarthLink®, etc and traveling around the country, there really isn't much they can monitor, unless they have a way of converting all of those hisses and bleeps into something readable.

And we haven't got into cell phone dial-up, cell phone high-speed connections, mobile connection cards and the 'hotspot' topic yet.

..truth.ceeker..

• Moomin
    Moomin

(skeptic2 using wifes computer):
    There is no (easy automated) way, if someone has embedded an ip-tracking image in this page say, to tell who is a poster and who is just reading the page, and it's certainly not possible to tell that skeptic2 is this ip address and so-and-so is that ip address.
    The music industry tried going to different ISPs in the UK a few months back, with lists of ip addresses they alleged were involved in illegal downloading (no evidence was provided). The ISP's response was to tell the music industry where to go. They didn't even consider shutting down people's accounts on the say so that they had done something wrong.
    In this case, all the bethel could say is 'they were looking at an internet forum'. Let's get a grip on reality people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit