WT monitors sites?

by Gordy 71 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

Some things I've heard have caused me to believe that once some man behind the curtain has the proper motivation, they will resort to anything and this very much includes all this cloak and dagger stuff.

• Genesis
    Genesis

Relax everyone, I can tell you that the majority of the ISP are using NAT and you cant go further than knowing someone ISP provider (I work at a WISP).

• daystar
    daystar

Well, at very least, they could easily enough determine what areas have active "apostates" in them and put the local bodies on alert.

Hmmm... is this topic on the Private area?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I can tell you that the majority of the ISP are using NAT

That might deter a casual computer user, but not a hacker who is experienced and motivated.

W

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Cor Joules - I'm impressed - do me, do me.......

• ackack
    ackack

All of this is easily defeatable with a simple ssh tunnel however, so, in reality, if a bethelite wanted to, with a tiny bit of computer-saaviness, could overcome any counter measures.

ackack

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I can tell you that the majority of the ISP are using NAT and you cant go further than knowing someone ISP provider

Not exactly. NAT is merely a break point between the public IP address space and the private IP address space. Virtually all ISP's assign a public IP address(accessible from anywhere in the world) to its dialup/dsl/cable users. Places where you would likely receive a private IP address is a "wireless hotspot," such as in a coffee shop Also, if you are using a Linksys router off of your cable modem, you are using NAT. Instead of your personal PC acquiring the public IP address that your cable internet provider gives to you, your router is assigned it instead. Your router then uses NAT to transfer back and forth the info you request from the web to your PC which is located in the private IP address space. The majority of home routers use the 192.168.X.X space for all of your PCs. If you surf from multiple computers that connect to the same router, you will notice that your "IP address" on JWD remains the same. This is NAT working. Even though your IP addresses are different between computers on the LAN side of your router's network, the public IP address that is assigned to the router remains the same. This is what the world "sees."

For the folks who wanted to know how this tracking works, I'll go ahead and give you the rundown again. First off, get yourself a webserver that you can view the logs on(run it off your home pc - that's the easiest). Full detailed logs are needed(if you use apache, just alter the conf file to allow full logs). Throw up a small transparent .gif file. The one I use is only 1x1 pixels and is 58 bytes in size. Insert the url of this transparent .gif into a post as a picture. The only way someone will be able to see this .gif is by looking at the html source for the page. Otherwise, it is completely invisible. Now, when someone replies to the thread or to your post, a log entry is added to your webserver that shows their public IP address, the url they are replying or posting to, their operating system, and web browser along with a timestamp at the front. You simply correlate the timestamp to a reply. In the logs, most posts will even show up as a "post" or "reply." It's all quite simple to do. I wrote about this a while ago but I don't think anyone took me seriously. Probably because you have a 50/50 split of people who say it cannot be done and the other half saying, "can you?" Of course, there are the very few who know it can be done but may not be saying anything to keep it a secret.

Want to know what that little transparent .gif file looks like? It's right here --->

That's it! Nothing too technical at all.

• daystar
    daystar
    Now, when someone replies to the thread or to your post, a log entry is added to your webserver

But isn't it true that one need not even do that since the transparent .gif loads from the webserver on simply viewing the page the first time?

• Jourles
    Jourles

Yes, even if someone simply views the page and moves on, their IP, operating system, and browser are all added to the log. It's virtually impossible to tell who is who this way, but the point I was making is for the people who reply to the thread. I'm sure there are quite a few people here who wonder in amazement over that little IP address mash of letters and numbers to the left. Some people(read: WTS) could use that IP address to narrow down the location of "apostates" that are still active in the org, such as elders. Once they get the city or small town where the IP address is geographically located, they can work out the clues from there. Go back through the posts(Minimus' ?) and find out what kind of car they drive, if they have pets, married or not, amount of kids, etc etc etc. Once they have a fairly good dossier compiled, they might think about presenting this info to the city overseer or CO. If any of the info rings a bell to them, they can start the questioning. It may sound far fetched, but it is quite possible and reasonable sound. If it were me working at Bethel trying to find people, this is how I would do it.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Wow they are beginning to sound like the CIA and the KGB, but of course they monitor anti WTS websites since they often make threads about copyright infringements and force servers to shut down sites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit