The Great Taboo Discussion---Suicides among former Jehovah's Witnesses

by The wanderer 84 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My cousin comitted suicide. He had been raised in a very dysfunctional JW home(his dad is the one with 3 ex wives). He had not been part of the org for a few years and had other issues troubling him. I know that his family was not the kind he could come to for any kind of emotional help, as he would simply be told to go back to the hall to get himself 'thinking right'. Its sad, he was a beautiful good hearted person who got in too deep. Both his full siblings have mental issues-severe ones.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Once my family's car passed him walking to the KH in a downpour of rain. Car after car of Witnesses passed him on the sopping dirt road. I don't think I ever forgave my Mom for not stopping our car

That's bad.......really bad. How could anyone not stop to pick him up, all kidding aside.

Warlock

• Bodhisattva1320
    Bodhisattva1320

(((((((((((((((((((((((goodgirlbadgirl)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((((((crazyblonde))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

editing to hug everyone here ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• anewme
    anewme

I never tried to take my own life, but I didnt care if someone else did.
    The first year after being dfd I spent in some very dangerous places associating with very dangerous people.
    I lived like I didnt care about myself or tomorrow.

Meeting my new husband and finding this board has helped me to recover some self love, but everyday is a challenge to forget the JWs and try to enjoy life.

Anewme

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

4 of my JW friends have committed suicide. 3 were still JWs, only one suicided after leaving.

Another 2 friends ended up in hospital after failed attempts. Both of these people attempted suicide whilst in the process of leaving, but have been fine since breaking free.

• Highlander
    Highlander

My sister attempted suicide once. It was half/ass effort and more of a plea for help, but it was still an attempt.

From Pine City, MN congregation there is a 'sister' that attempted suicide(I believe she was pregnant with her first son at the time) This occurred probably 30 years ago.

She's married to the current PO of that congregation.

My best friend made an attempt to kill himself as well. He slashed his arm really deep with a knife, though it was in an area that was mostly 'tissue' and very few arteries.

My dad had two close friends of his that successfully committed suicide. One was due to mental health issues and a horrible marriage, the other, in my opinion due to this

sh$tty 'organization'.

There are other 'cry for help' suicide attempts that I'm aware of but don't know enough details to post.

Bottom line is this, most of my family and friends are well adjusted healthy individuals, HOWEVER I personally know of at least 12 attempted suicides and a few successful ones,

and compared to my non-witness friends and colleagues who know of few if any suicidal people, that just seems to be to many suicides for the 'happiest people on earth'

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I know of two or three. My Best Man, (an elder), had his 15 year old son suicide by CO2 about 5 years ago.
    I was there when this bright, happy boy was born. Living in another part of the country and fading I didn't get to see him grow up. Got no sense from anyone at the non-KH funeral. One jerk tried to assert it was caused by listening to too much debasing music! I was too angry and depressed to talk to his Dad.

I've posted before about my suicidality which has only just improved after nearly 30 years.

Kind thoughts to all
    Pete.

• elliej
    elliej

I knew an elder who had been asked to step down (several years previous) because both of his children "left the truth" who killed himself. They refused to give him a Kingdom Hall funeral. His younger child had been studying at the time, attempting a comeback, but we never saw her again after that. Wonder why?

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Three of my childhood friends killed themselves. They were all "in the truth." I wonder what the odds are for losing three friends that all had the same religion?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

One thing that people not familiar with JW beliefs may not understand is how the belief system gives tacit permission for suicide. Witnesses teach that people who die before Armageddon are virtually assured of a resurrection; If they don't get a resurrection, what's the worst that can happen to them? If Jehovah doesn't "approve" of their suicide, they get eternal non-existence, perpetual unconsciousness. Not such a bad deal to a person in pain. Death becomes a doorway out of pain and a possible passage into Paradise, where all our problems will be solved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit