The Great Taboo Discussion---Suicides among former Jehovah's Witnesses

by The wanderer 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi mcsemike,

Those articles are cut n' pasted directly from the WT CDROM.

I will admit that sometimes I engage in parody of watchtower material, but this would be an inappropriate thread for a parody or an intentional misrepresentation.

When I make jokes, it is usually obvious, either because I identify them as jokes or because the context makes it clear they are.

No offense taken; you were within your rights to ask for clarification.

• jam
    jam

My late sister profess to be of 144000. Last year she died, her death could have been prevented.

She refuse a simple operation because the Brooklyn medical center (wt) information. I have been out since 1987, once a elder 20 yrs. in cult. The years in the cult I thought my sister was one of most intelligent person I had know. Since being out a number of years I realize she was a couple cents short of a nickle,I can say this because she was my sister. Due to her abusive husband , a elder I may add, for this reason years of abusiveness I believe she wanted to end it.

She refuse to see me before she died. My sister and brothers who is not a JW could not understand why my sister who was dying , would not allow me to see her in her dying hours to say good by. To make a long story . The day of the funeral in Pasadena Ca. My sister funeral Dorothy, I went to a UCLA football game. The bus I was on pass the Kingdom Hall at the time of funeral. The hall was full. My family that are not JW understood why I did not attend. The family that are JW and JW members thought it was terrible that I did not attend MY SISTER FUNERAL. If she is one 144000 in heaven GOD HELP US.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi Old Goat: Welcome aboard, I'm very happy to see you! It sounds like you've been through alot. How are you doing now? Is there any more you want to tell us? If I can can help at all, send me a message.

I hope you're going to like it here. I think we always want to hear from new people, and I was very grateful for my warm welcome.

Take care!

Anitar

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

WELCOME Old Goat and JAM!!!! It seems you both have tremendous things to share. We are so happy you are here.

Cheers
    Baba Yaga

• jam
    jam

THANK YOU. I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE. WHEN I READ THE DISCUSSION CONCERNING SUICIDES I HAD TO RESPOND. MY TWO SONS FOLLOW ME OUT OF THE CULT. WE UNDER WENT SOME DIFFICULT TIMES. THEY WERE BOTH ON A ROAD TO A YOUNG DEATH. WHEN I GOT OUT THERE WASN,T A LOT OF SUPPORT. WE MADE IT . ONE SON IS GRADUATING FROM UCLA AND OTHER IS ENJOYING A CAREER IN THE COAST GUARDS. BOTH MY BOYS THOUGHT OF SUICIDE.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Many people know my Mom was the victim of the WTS blood policy. (I will repeat this forever for any newbies here!)

I know personally of 3 (real) friends over the 35 years I was a JW that committed suicide after being DF'd.

I know of at least 10 (including myself) who attempted suicide after being marked, accused, threatened or shunned as "bad association." Many times their "sin" was being "inactive." I had questions and doubts which got me labeled as "spiritually dangerous," my family eventually fell apart and I was shunned.

One of my children attempted suicide while DF'd for smoking, but, after 'jumping thru all the WT flaming hoops' they were reinstated. Now, the addiction has returned...and the WT axe is hanging over their head again. The guilt trip of "not doing enough" and "not being a good JW" will surely take their life long before the tobbacco will !

Rabbit

• Anitar
    Anitar

Wow, there are alot of new people on this thread. You all deserve a medal for what you've endured (Anyone think it's about time for an ex-JW award ceremony? Just kidding).

I never thought this would cause such an large response, but I guess it makes sense given the topic.

I don't say this enough, but I always appreciate how intelligent and thought provoking the discussions are on JWD. In fact, it's the first thing I check when I'm looking over the daily news. I guess we all need plenty of intelligence after being in the watchtower for so long.

Cheers!
    Anitar

• JustUs
    JustUs

This is subject matter that is very depressing.My hope is that anyone suffering with thoughts of ending their life would take pause and reconsider. This too shall pass. A doctor once told me that the message I send to my loved one (my only child) after attempting to take my own life, was that this is the only solution to life's problems. Not the example I wanted to give. To those of you who may think your life has no value, I ask you to please talk to yourself the way you would talk to someone else you love, who was in that state of mind. Allow yourself the same kindness you wouldn't hesitate to extend to someone else. I know it's not always the easy thing to do, but it is always the RIGHT thing to do. Give tomorrow a chance.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

WELCOME and HUGS and STRENGTH to you, VanillaMocha!!! So happy to have you here.

Touche', JustUs...

"A doctor once told me that the message I send to my loved one (my only child) after attempting to take my own life, was that this is the only solution to life's problems. Not the example I wanted to give."

How true that is. Excellent reminder and great mindset when the mind needs some help.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Afterthought: I would like to personally thank all of the individuals
    who participated in this discussion. Never in my wildest dreams did
    I imagine such a response.

I hope some of us on this board can help and assist others in their
    personal lives regarding this or any other problems that may arise.

In addition, special thanks to BabaYaga for inspiring me to write
    this topic of discussion. And personally, I feel proud that maybe
    some good could come out of this.

Love and Respect,

Richard Matos

(The Wanderer)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit