The Great Taboo Discussion---Suicides among former Jehovah's Witnesses

by The wanderer 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Pwyrdan
    Pwyrdan

For most of my childhood, the kindness of the Witnesses was a welcome relief from the emotional abuse of my stepdad. From age twelve, though, I was sexually abused, and I think the depression started then. I was determined not to let the abuse change me in any way. Then I decided not to grow up. I kind of didn't.

At age 25, I found myself working full time, so I couldn't pioneer. I was not even able to make ends meet, with no education or marriage prospects or hope of improving my lot at all. I was always closely watched by the elders because I lived alone. The dysthymia I'd suffered from for years spiked when I ran out of my Zoloft and couldn't afford it for a few days. I tried to commit suicide, but fortunately didn't know what I was doing and just missed work and meetings for a week or so. No one called me.

That was about 4 years ago. I left suddenly, soon after, and I'm now married, a mom, and I never dreamed life could hold so many possibilities. The Witnesses offer nothing but empty promises and a present life of oppression and toil. I'm not one who resented the hard work, and I never had doubts until I really started digging, but I was unhappy enough to prefer death to the long wait. I know I'm not the only one.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

WELCOME to the forum, Pwyrdan!!! We are so glad you're here... in more ways than one! Hugs, Power, and Strength to you.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Pwyrdan1st...good for you in recognizing what you needed to do -- getting away from the JW's AND discovering ...

" life could hold so many possibilities. The Witnesses offer nothing but empty promises and a present life of oppression and toil."

I was 45 when I attempted suicide and a few more years in limbo, before I discovered that the "evil, bad world" wasn't so bad. It was a bleak world the WT had painted for us and we would 'never find happiness with "worldly people". Like you, I married a wonderful "worldly person" and proved the WTB&TS -- wrong !

You aren't alone anymore, there are lots of us that know better now.

Welcome !

Rabbit

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My heart goes out to so many of you. So much hurt so many lives lost or almost lost. This board has been a life-saver for so many

And I have my own list:

• The sister who gave my wedding shower
    • My aunt, 13 yrs old, Drowning.

Both were terrified of water. (Mouthy, Sue would know both well The sister was so terrified of water that after everyone else was baptized the brothers were still trying to coax her into the water. Sue might not know how scared my aunt Suzanne was of water. It would take her ages to get into a swimming pool and then only in the shallow end of the pool and always stayed close to the side. Odd that they both chose what we thought their worst fear was.

Then my sister, after many many tries over 30 years finally suceeded last year. One thing that sticks in my mind was a statement she made that she still believed the "truth" but knew she could never be good enough but she knew she could be bad enough.

Shortly before I left I heard a young fellow in my mother's cong. They all seemed to think that since he was DFed it couldn't have been the DFing that caused him to commit suicide but rather his guilt over whatever he was DFed for.

And I had many years of dwelling on thoughts of death. Before I left it was on my mind daily. I had spoken to people in the hall to watch out for my girls if something should happen to me. I knew what I was going to do but kept putting it off for the sake of my children

It is a terrible place to be in your mind believing thst is the only way out. My whole life it was like the Ace up my sleeve in case I thought I couldn't handle it anymore.

It took losing everything I knew and just 1 person on the outside supporting me for me to think there was some other way out.

Feeling like a trapped animal with no way out is a hell like none other.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

WBTS typical funeral infocommercial add comments write to reporter Teacher praised for dedication to faith add comments write to reporter
    Trinidad & Tobago Express, Trinidad and Tobago - 8 hours ago
    ... Delivering the discourse at his funeral yesterday at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Barataria, Br Lemuel Smithbegged the congregation to remember ... ... Delivering the discourse at his funeral yesterday at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Barataria, Br Lemuel Smithbegged the congregation to remember Wharton as a dedicated and active member of the Jehovah's Witness faith, who never shirked his responsibilities and obligations. .... [email protected] reporter [email protected] editor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit