The Great Taboo Discussion---Suicides among former Jehovah's Witnesses

by The wanderer 84 Replies latest jw friends

I think about it everyday

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I only started to consider it strongly after my wife left me five years ago and took my daughter with her (she had been molested for years and the elders covered it up). I spent hours and hours on the Internet researching how to do it. I then lived in a state where firearms are not common. I was put on depression medication and went to therapy for 2 years.

I now live in the South and have a carry permit and daily and always carry a huge .45 pistol. But I'm over the urge to use it. Four years ago, I would have. I'm now off the medication, don't go to therapy, and try to remind myself that life should get better. I also always hope that my daughter, now 21 years old, will someday want to have a relationship with me. I've seen her twice in the past 4 years and the last time we spoke on the phone was a year ago. She never answers my emails or letters.

I also obtained a BA in Psychology during the past 3 years. I have more coping skills now. I also know how to understand and help my daughter, should she ever want that. I will be divorcing my wife. She said even if I returned to the WT (which I have fought for five years now) and became a CO, she'd never return to me "in this system". I love the forgiveness JW's have, don't you? Maybe SHE won't be there and I WILL. What irony.

I cannot recall all of the statistics right now, but JW's have just about the highest rate of mental illness in the country. Some claims put their depression rate at up to 40 times the general public. I know an old friend who is a psychologist out West with a Doctorate degree. She said she treats so many JW's for mental illness that she considers it to be a pandemic. This speaks very poorly of a group that claims to have a "happy God" and a "spiritual paradise". I know MANY have killed themselves because of the WT.

The last CO I spoke with said the policy on suicide was that it was up to Jehovah. He said "nobody knows if the second before the bullet tore through their brain that they weren't repentant or sorry." He also said a funeral was up to an elder's conscience. I don't know if that's official. After all, the WT is hardly known for stable beliefs year after year, are they?

I know there are many articles on mental illness and how to deal with it here on Freeminds and also on Silent Lambs. I urge anyone who is in need to read them.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I knew a very nice bethelite in his late 20's at the time, back in the early 80's who was going through severe depression (I wonder why? ), he was asked to leave bethel, ended up in a mental institution and jumped out a window to his death, very sad. I also tried this a few times, I thought this was the only way out, to escape abuse by my MS stepfather, I figured I would close my eyes and wake up in the "New System" and everything would be wonderful, thankfully the method I used did not work and I just slept it off, at another time there was a guy I was dating he was an MS I was 15 he was 20 (stupid I know, but my stepfather wanted to marry me off), it ended up being emotionaly devastating to me and I no longer wanted to live, the "New System" looked very attractive once again, I told my mom I no longer wanted to go back to meetings, since it was devastating for me to see him and his new girlfreind showing off in front of me. My mom convinced me to give the "Truth" another try and rely on Jehovah, I did that and stayed in that CRAP for all these years. After that experience I decided to empower myself, and read numerous self help books, which helped me out of the depression and helped me regain my self confidence. And here I am, I don't dwell on the bad things that happened to me, cause LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE!!!!! And today, I can honestly say that those that wronged me have paid dearly, many times over, and I had nothing to do with it. I forgave them and hold no grudges, my life is too precious to waste a single moment thinking about those people.

All I have to say about all those poor people that have lost their lives because of this CULT is that I hope their death was not in vain, I hope this wakes up some of those JW lurkers enough to see, that it's not an innocent religion, it is a DAMAGING CULT, if they in any way help anyone get into this religion they are risking being guilty of causing someones death, including their own children. Some JW's have said "oh, even if I find out it's not the truth, it's still the best way to live", well THINK AGAIN!

for all the unnecessary lifes lost to this CULT

IC

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It would seem there are more suicides among Jehovahs Witness`s,than former Jehovah`s Witness`s...OUTLAW

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I knew of several suicide incidents of people in the org but only one by an exJW which is surprising since Im from a small populated area. There is no telling what the percentages of suicides would be if all the JWs on antidepressants quit taking them.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I just recently learned something that happened in my extended family. It was totally hushed up. One of my relatives was an elder on a JC. There was a young girl pleading for mercy and this relative did not want to DF her. The rest of them did and so it went through. This girl comitted suicide shortly thereafter. My relative resigned and came down with bleeding ulcers having to have 1/2 of his stomach removed.

Also had a cousin who was raised in the truth and in his late teens had an "accident" with his rifle.

My best friend growing up became severely depressed in her young teenage years (raised as a witness). She started slicing her self up with razor blades. We eventually parted ways but about 5 years ago heard she had overdosed and died from her meds. (Her father use to beat the hell out of her, her sisters and their mother) The elders knew about it and did nothing, even asking his wife what was she doing to make him beat her.

r.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Yes. There was a young mother of 3 children ages newborn, 2 and 4 that took her life. This lady was showing lots of signs that she was cracking under stress but her clueless hubby kept telling he to pray more. One day he came home and found the children unattended and the baby crying. His wife took an overdose of pills and was dead upon his arrival. She was only 24 years old.

I know of another young women who tried to take her life but failed. I also wanted to take my life several times in the org. Don't worry I am MUCH better now.

I believe that next to the children it is the woman who suffer the most in that organization. (more than men that is) They seem to have a higher rate of depression and emotional problems. I also think it is evil the way the WT says these poor ones who THEY help drive to suicide will not be resurrected! The bible does not say that anywhere. And God knows our heart and our circumstances. How can we say God is Love if we think he would not excuse someone who committed an act when they were not in their right mind and emotionally sick?

The Watchtower is Pure EVIL. Lilly

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

My best friends nephew.

My sisters ex father in law. This mans son and saughter in law gave him the loaded gun knowing he was depressed. The daughter in law believed she was of the annointed. She then blamed his suicide on the surviving wife who soon went crazy.

My other best friend.

and many others who I know of, are friends of or related to friends who either were JWs in good standing or inactive.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I knew MANY that killed themselves . One young man who was just studying Not baptised was pressed to go out in service by his study conducter .. Went three of four times -when he "oft" himself the Brothers? put his Time sheet up on the board for all to see... Just so we knew he had served Jehovah- he was 24years about....Also the EX JWS that made the video."WITNESSeS OF JEHOVAH"Gave his testimony at PA one year. He told of how "faithful" he was to the organization by telling us of a man that was D/F & the wife & three kids were still JWS- The man was trying to get reinstated, He drove by them at a bus stop in the pouring of rain also--- as he told the story- he broke down crying.... Every time I think of him I cry also. What Guilt to bear...Slimboy!! You really must remember just because YOU dont know any -that is a blessing cos I know LOADS the WT KILLED!!!

Once my family's car passed him walking to the KH in a downpour of rain. Car after car of Witnesses passed him on the sopping dirt road. I don't think I ever forgave my Mom for not stopping our car.)

• mouthy
    mouthy

I would also like to add a good book is" Jehovahs Witness & Mental Illness "by Jerry Bergman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit