evolution or creation? lets talk...

by Sam87 537 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

Pre-flood brains were 3 times larger...

Only brain? any other part of a body? lucky them...

alt

• zagor
  • Room 215
    Room 215

With saying much, let me recommend that anyone interested in the subject should read ``The Language of God," authored by Francis S. Collins, the geneticist who headed the human genome project.

• whyizit
    whyizit

This is going to be my last post on this subject. I don't have time to research every shred of evidence and go back and forth. Work kinda gets in the way of that, don't ya know!

If Darwin's children say that he still believed his own theory when he was on his death bed, it still does not discredit that in the man's own writings he admitted that it had too many holes for he himself to be able to believe it. He also gave reference to the idea that it made sense that there was a creator. Those were qoutes from things that he personally wrote. (This was not the Wikipedia version, by the way.)

If I spent many years of my life studying things about Brad Pitt and convincing myself that he and I are a perfect match, it doesn't make it so, does it? I could be in the nursing home on my death bed, truly believing that he's going to walk in and plant a big juicy kiss on me, but is that me being delusional, or is that a fact, just because I believe it so much? Sometimes people believe the wrong things.

Maybe Darwin's children wanted to save face for their father, especially since so many were starting to buy into the theory. Maybe Darwin didn't want his children to think he wasted his life on something even he wasn't able to substantiate. Maybe there was a big cover up. I don't know. I do know that hisownwritings show that he had definite problems with his own theory.

There are too many obvious questions. If we "evolved" from apes, why are there still apes? If we came out of a pool of slime by chance, how did that pool of slime know how to make both male and female critters? I mean, the productive system is amazingly complicated. That happened by chance? It's more convincing that someone created it in a very concise manner.

Believe what you like, but the evidence is on the side of a creator. Evolution is just way to complicated and too wishy-washy to make any kind of good sense.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sam87, welcome to the board. You must have figured out by now that a creation/evolution thread cannot go quietly, eh? Arguments are bound to erupt on a subject like this.

OntTheWayOut: why do we have a brain capable of 3 million years of infomation when we live for ony a mere 80 odd years?

Urban myth, sorry. http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Whyzit: Darwin did not believe his own theory.

I read the link you provided, and in no way did he disclaim his own theory. He said the order of his mind had changed, and he could no longer enjoy Shakespeare. That's worlds apart from not believing one's own theory. Quote Darwin in context, please. Besides, good scientists question everything, even their own theories. How else can they refine their discoveries? Don't depend on creationist authors to have done their research completely or well. Creationists defend, they do not question. That means they are highly tempted to ignore evidence that does not support their side.

Evolution or Creation? It doesn't bother me. The best we can do is guess on our origins, and ask God about it later. I do not depend on secular evidence to bolster my belief in God. It's a faith thing.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It seems that religious type people treat evolution as a religion. Thus, if darwin didn't believe it himself equals to jesus not believing something equals all jesus followers not believing something equals evolutionists should not believe since darwin didn't believe, or something like that. It has been shown that the claim that darwin didn't believe evolution is false. However, even if he didn't believe it at certain times, it would mean very little to those who believe evolution. It isn't a religion.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ps, darwin did expect that the evolutionary fossil record would be subsequently filled in a lot more. That has happened/is happening.

S

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    in the man's own writings he admitted that it had too many holes for he himself to be able to believe it. He also gave reference to the idea that it made sense that there was a creator. Those were qoutes from things that he personally wrote. (This was not the Wikipedia version, by the way.)

Pointing out the apparent holes in a theory one is trying to explain is good science. Unlike religion, science doesn't claim to have all the answers. And of course, understand that Darwin was over a century ago. There have since been 100+ years of research, discovery, and discussion.

There are too many obvious questions. If we "evolved" from apes, why are there still apes? If we came out of a pool of slime by chance, how did that pool of slime know how to make both male and female critters? I mean, the productive system is amazingly complicated. That happened by chance?

If laptop computer technology sprang from desktop computer technology, why do we still have desktop computers? (Because they fill two related but different niches)

When I was a creationist, I also believed these were huge questions for evolution. But they aren't. "Irreducible complexity" and all that -- "What good is half an eye?", "How did we eat before the stomach evolved?", "What polinated plants before the bees evolved?" -- that sort of thing. These questions have answers. You need only read on the subject to find them out. Don't read only creationist literature, with its pictures of bickering evolutionists and misquoting of scientists. Read the other side of the story as well.

Reading about evolution is hard, it's just not a topic you can breeze thru in an hour. That's why those links from SeattleNiceGuy are so valuable, they really do give you food for thought in a simple, clear manner. I hope you'll at least read those links. I read them myself yesterday just for fun and it took less than half an hour.

Dave

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

whyizit:

There are too many obvious questions. If we "evolved" from apes, why are there still apes? If we came out of a pool of slime by chance, how did that pool of slime know how to make both male and female critters? I mean, the productive system is amazingly complicated. That happened by chance? It's more convincing that someone created it in a very concise manner.

Shame on you! Ignorance in itself is nothing to be ashamed of, but willful ignorance is. There are very good and easily available answers to those questions. I even provided links to them, in the mistaken belief that you were a genuine seeker of truth and would be interested in the answers. But you don't really care about the answers.

You don't have time to research? No biggie, but then you shouldn't get involved in the debate. You should just admit you know next to nothing about the subject and keep your mouth shut. Let those who know about the subject inform those who are interested in learning about it, and stop wasting everyone's time.

Shame, shame, shame on you!

• freetosee
    freetosee
    OntTheWayOut: why do we have a brain capable of 3 million years of infomation when we live for ony a mere 80 odd years?

Urban myth, sorry. http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Wow, I always thought that is one strong argument for creation and against evolution. Thanks for the link jgnat. Now I need to think about your "faith thing" approch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit