evolution or creation? lets talk...

by Sam87 537 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Science has recently proven that if we were to learn something new every second, we would take well over 3 millions years to exhaust the memory capacity

Is this a reasonable fact? Can you back this up by providing the names of those scientists?

S

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow, Sam, well I spent many a year in the Dubs myself, and am now quite happy to report even MORE years OUT. Again, WELCOME, and we are so glad to have you here. Trust me, you will learn more on these boards in a week than you learned in 5 hour-long meetings a week for a year.

I do truly believe in both. I do believe in a higher power... (even when I used the name Jehovah for the One Within the All, I used to think of Him as the ultimate artist and scientist.) But you know what... I just don't know. And that is one of the most awesome things about being out... it feels so great to say I DON'T KNOW. Not "I don't know, but let me get back to you on that after I read a stack of nothing but WTBTS publications and speak with my elders."

Evolution is a scientific fact. We as humans have evolved astoundingly in the past 100 years (look at Victorian shoe sizes and average life spans, if nothing else.) The thought that a higher power might have created all this way is perfectly alright with me.

If, by creation, you mean, (and I believe you do,) the Adam and Eve story, well... having just recently learned tremendous tidbits on the history of the BIBLE ITSELF, I'm not one to mince words on this book which has been through so many translations and more importantly, transitions.

Fact is... my core beliefs at this point are much more bizarre. *grin* More along the lines of "we really might just be a convincing holodeck", and, of course, if we don't take the red pill, how are we to ever know? Plato's "cave" analogy.

• Sam87
    Sam87

I have no idea how to exsplain that, anyway it doesnt really matter if the 'post flood' brains were larger, because at the moment we still have a brain that is far far to advanced to what our body is, and if evolutionists say we change after a need to change, then why do we have a brain capable of 3 million years of infomation when we live for ony a mere 80 odd years? even if god did use evolution this sort of proves him wrong to an extent. (if that makes evolution flawed, how could god have used it?)

maybe im confused, lol

Sam87

• Arthur
    Arthur
    we would take well over 3 millions years to exhaust the memory capacity of our "post flood" brains. (Pre-flood brains were 3 times larger) On the other hand... Evolutionists say things evolve after there is a need for change.

Pre-flood brains - 3 times bigger? Oh, good lord, you're kidding right? If you are serious, please explain this further. And please provide links to your references.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    maybe im confused, lol

Not maybe. Listen. For a discussion such as this to work, you must back up your claims with references. No one on this forum can make fantastic claims without backing them up. Your claims about a "pre-flood brain being 3 times the size of the modern brain" is indeed a fantastic claim. And I am being charitable in my remarks. If you are going to make such totally unscientific assertions without backing them up; then this thread is a waste of bandwidth.

• Sam87
    Sam87

http://www.creationevidence.org/scientific_evid/evidencefor/evidencefor.html

sorry guys, i shouldve posted that, its down the bottom, just google search about how much storing power our brains have, its easy to see that they are way way ahead of our bodies, to me this is a serious thing against evolution.

Sam87

• Sam87
    Sam87

just pretend i never said the 'post flood' thing, because it really doesnt matter, thats what im trying to say, lol, yeah im definatly confused now, :)

• heathen
    heathen

I think there are too many straw men in the theory of evolution to conclude that man evolved from the amoeba .

• Arthur
    Arthur

Thank you for posting that link. It was interesting to say the least. After looking through the talking points, I then went to the footnotes as referenced. This was the part that was particularly interesting. Out of the 21 authors that were listed, only one of them had any kind of advanced degree. And his degree was in Holistic Medicine. Not one referenced writer had any kind of adavanced degree in geology, paleotology, molecular bilology, or physics. What I have found from personal experience, is that writers such as this write essay type books which rely heavily on sophistry, dubious conclusions, and annecdotal evidence. If I am going to read a book on evolutionary biology for example; a huge red flag goes up when the writer doesn't even possess a degree or credential in that field.

From my own personal experience, I found that I had to look at both sides of the issue to get the full picture. At one time, I was completely committed to creation and against evolution. But, this was because I was only reading materials written by the Watchtower Society, and other Fundamentalist Christians (many of which were not even scientists). When I began to do research into the fossil record, the geological records, and evolutionary biology, I slowly began to change my mind. I am of the opinion that evolution was the means through which creation was manifested. ( I am not an atheist ) I have noticed similar opinions by many theologians, as well as biologists themselves. There is currently a book on the market titled The Language Of God; written by a biologist who also believes that evolution was a manifestation of creation. Such a concept is not so far-fetched.

Personally, I do find many of the intelligent design arguments to be quite valid and logical. But, in the spirit of intellectual honesty, I cannot dismiss the overwhelming evidence that evolution has occured, and the proof (for lack of better term) that humans have been on earth much longer that 6,000 years.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

ROTL!!!! I just wanna know...if pre-flood brains were three times larger, were other, um, things three times larger before the Flood?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit