evolution or creation? lets talk...

by Sam87 537 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Seeker:

I think a lot of this is the result of a lack of education, as several on here have pointed out.

Unfortunately to be told that you're uneducated or ignorant of some fact or other is often taken as denigrating or a personal insult. Personally I kept that in context by not taking myself too seriously and remembering that I was kept from college by WTS policies, having Pioneered from school.

Then I did something about it, and got an education both to train my mind in the right way to think and assess, as well as to top up on a few facts. I have the final exam for my BSc on Thursday, and start a Masters programme in November. But being willing to learn something from anyone and everyone is probably a good key to humility and growth.

On another note, I can understand Dido's feeling getting hurt. While this board is far better than the majority on the internet, there are a few folks who don't suffer fools gladly and they can be as vociferous on their subject as the Fundamentalists on theirs. A few social graces wouldn't go amiss, but that's their lookout. Personally I'd rather win friends than arguments, but I know not everyone is like that.

Sometimes I wonder which way the human race is evolving socially, becaue IMHO that is as much of the equation as the physical stresses of life, now that we've reached this place in the evolutionary chain.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Interesting information, Ian! This goes along with other recent discoveries that the so-called Cambrian explosion, quite in contrast with creationist claims, was in no sense an origination of all sorts of life from basically nothing, but that it was an elaboration of life, an explosion in complexity, in particular of animals with hard parts. Such animals, in contrast with the soft-bodied animals before the Cambrian, tend to preserve well. That's why pre-Cambrian fossils are so rare.

Recent discoveries of the pre-Cambrian Ediacaran and Vendian faunas, soft-bodied all, from the 60-100 million years before the Cambrian, show that this life was a long time in the making. The recent discovery that the earth was a giant snowball for some ten million years, until about 60-100 million years before the Cambrian, is consistent with these fossil discoveries.

AlanF

• Satanus
    Satanus

Alanf

Not sure if you saw this. But, tophat did post one url on page 12 - http://www.chowk.com/show_article.cgi?aid=00005134&channel=university%20ave&threshold=1&layout=0&order=0&start=40&end=49&page=1 Don't know how much info is in there...

S

• AlanF
    AlanF

I understand quite well what you're saying, LittleToe, having once been a grossly ignorant JW myself. I too made the effort to educate myself on many topics that had been more or less off limits. On several old Usenet forums, I made a fool of myself a number of times when trotting out my JW-influenced beliefs. I was strongly corrected with solid information and references to appropriate sources. But rather than getting bent out of shape by people telling me of my ignorance and telling me how to cure it, I availed myself of the help. This is quite in contrast with most of the creationists who have posted on this thread, who I cannot accurately describe without violating forum posting guidelines. Such posters are good studies in the arrogance bred by gross ignorance, which in turn is born of blind religious belief.

AlanF

• dido
    dido

Seeker4- i can`t believe how self inflated you are, in over my head haha, it`s aload of bull s..t anyway, you are the ones who are sucked into crap. For the record, my lack of education was at a public boarding school, similar to the ones that royalty go to, so jog on mate! Also i have had aload of pm`s telling me what a bunch of arseholes you lot are, why do you think hardly anyone got involved with the thread, because they know what you lot are! I was told i was the wisest one on the thread, so carry on with the name calling, i must have got under all your skins to have had such an affect, hmm makes you wonder doesn`t it?

• Beardo
    Beardo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/5367432.stm

Odd fishies in duck egg - no apparent cracks in the surface of the egg - how strange ...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Alan:Aye, we can either stick our heads in the sand or do something about it. Of course we're all ignorant about something or other, as there's just soooo much to learn about soooo many things!!!!

I'm like a kiddy in a candy store

• Beardo
    Beardo

alt

A big lovely fluffy bunny. I love big lovely fluffy bunnys. I want to lick this one.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dido,

For the record, my lack of education was at a public boarding school, similar to the ones that royalty go to,

None of the Royals or their children have ever been renown for their intellect. Many has issues making 'O' level pass grades and scraped into Universities with the minimum requirements and with the aid of the 'Old Boy' network.

I certainly hope that you did not share schools with them.

HS

• TopHat
    TopHat
    This is quite in contrast with most of the creationists who have posted on this thread, who I cannot accurately describe without violating forum posting guidelines. Such posters are good studies in the arrogance bred by gross ignorance, which in turn is born of blind religious belief.

AlanF

Don't lose any scales there AlanF...you will need them later so you can fly when they evolve into feathers...hehehehhehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit