evolution or creation? lets talk...

by Sam87 537 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

LOL @ Six

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Now, now. You know that aint true

Actually, I DON'T know it isn't true! I look at the actions of such worshippers down the centuries and cannot for a moment believe they were done out of love but more out of selfish motives, e.g we want that land so we're taking it; you're not like us so death to you; you're a different religion so take this, etc. One could say that these are the actions of people, not God. But a true believer with love wouldn't act in such a way - but with fear he would (it could be xenophobia, not necessarily fear of God, but as we are supposedly equal.............)!

Of course, there are individuals who worship out of love and would die for others. But, let's just say there was a God and he said when you die that's it! No resurrection, no reward, nothing - that this life is all there is. Who'd want to love such a being? And yet that is precisely what people do. They worship in the belief that there is a God and that they will receive a reward - everlasting life. I find it hard to accept believers don't expect some kind of reward after they die.

Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk

Ross,

To give another example, a friend of mine, a non-practicing Roman Catholic, said that he didn't believe in God but that he was having his child baptised - just in case!

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ian:

I am convinced that most, if not all...

You know from your intereactions on this site that it's not "all". I wouldn't take issue with the statement "many". I do note that you use the term "defenders" which I acknowledge is a far broader spectrum than believers and would also include those who nominally associate themselves with a particular belief system.

I find it hard to accept believers don't expect some kind of reward after they die.

In the context in which you use it, I guess you're just going to have to take our word on that

Is it a reward to expect the next stage of our existance to be an evolution from this one, like a butterfly leaving the chrysalis?

• freetosee
    freetosee

kuhjbvuv

• proplog2
    proplog2

I will ask this question again.

I don't have time to read through this thread. A lot of it is the same ol stuff.

Can anyone help out by listing what they consider "new" in this argument.

Its an important area and I feel like I might be missing something. But I also get the feeling that no one in these discussions really is saying anything that couldn't be found on numerous FAQS posted on web sites that are devoted to the subject.

Otherwise it seems to be a "GOOGLE" battle. Link vs. Link

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Is it a reward to expect the next stage of our existance to be an evolution from this one

Not necessarily! "I" expect to be reborn - but my karma could dictate "my" being born at a lower level than "I" am now. So, and I know you understand where I'm coming from, it cannot be said to be an expected reward (as it could turn out to be a punishment!).

This is why I love Buddhism. No need to believe in God and a full acceptance of (proven) science, including evolution.

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Proplog:

Ya mean like the Trinity discussions?

• proplog2
    proplog2

Littletoe:

You have an amazing capacity to referee these discussions and keep your sense of humor.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    You have an amazing capacity to referee these discussions and keep your sense of humor.

He's got no choice Not unless he wants curry poured on his head and has to sleep with Rosie and Sally (my two dogs!).

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit