evolution or creation? lets talk...

by Sam87 537 Replies latest jw friends

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

D Dog: And what makes this a new species and not a new variety

How would you define the difference between species and variety? I ask, not as confrountation, but I need understand your definition before I can respond.

steve

• dido
    dido

BigTex- the facts do not prove evolution. i don`t feel `picked on, no more than any other crea, like TopHat, so don`t try and make me out to be the `poor little victim`, because i am not. How can i provide `facts` if what i believe is the genesis account of creation? What sort of `facts` do you want? God? As for coming back on this thread, my name was being bandied about, and i have the right to defend the `board bashing` that was going on. Little Toe was not directing the word `wanker` at me, re-read, he has too many manner`s to do that. You`ve proven that you are just a little sheep that follows the crowd, you didn`t even have the courage to post until you were challenged.

• dido
    dido

Beardo- i know that there are many definitions of `god`, and so far don`t really accept any of them. My idea of a creator has nothing to do with religion, the way i see him/ it/(not her) is an invisible force, with energy to create. The only reason i sort of believe the genesis account is because it is the closest to what i can explanation as to how we are here. I could make up my own story/account, but i don`t think it would go down very well. Everyone thinks i am a bible lover/god, but i actually don`t like the word `god`. and i hate religion, but on the other hand, i don`t believe in evo. You could say i`m like in the middle, with leanings more to creation, if you get my drift? Anyway, i would like to have a little survey to find out exactly how many ex`s on here do believe in evo?

• freetosee
    freetosee
    Dido:

fts- don`t try and draw me into another persons statement. I don`t go along with it anyway.

What’s you problem now? All I’m asking is for you to answer my question. So you don’t go along with it anyway. Is that the Genesis account or the existence of the Neanderthal??

Is this the personal statement you whish not to repeat (Though, Ian ask before I posted) ???…

Dansk- Ian, ok, this is how i see it. I accept the bible because there is no better explanation. There are many parts of the bible, and `god` that i don`t like, but so far, nothing has convinced me with a better explanation. I can`t accept that the brain just `happened`, (mind you with some of the people on here it`s a good argument!) How can a man and a woman just `happen`, life is created by them both. There is too much artwork there, design etc. I don`t know if there can be a creator aside from the `god` of the bible, i wish there was, as i would rather believe in a seperate entity, but so far we have no other basis for believing that there is.

Can you give more reasons for the stand you take and answer my question?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Deputy Dog said:

:: No. I mean they didn't exist on the plant.

: How do you know they never existed?

This well illustrates the problem faced by intelligent scientists when trying to explain things to doctrinaire creationists: creationists simply don't listen.

Steve already answered the question: the new species of plants were observed evolving. How someone with enough intelligence to post replies on this board can manage to miss an answer that simple can only be explained by the fact that they deliberately fail to listen, they consciously fail to undestand what they're being told. Thus, the frustration of science-oriented people.

AlanF

• freetosee
    freetosee
    Anyway, i would like to have a little survey to find out exactly how many ex`s on here do believe in evo?

There is a recent Minimus POLL here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/122150/1.ashx

I am neither Creationist nor Atheist, I'm still searching. fts

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Steve

How would you define the difference between species and variety? I ask, not as confrountation, but I need understand your definition before I can respond.

I'm glad you asked. That's not an easy question to answer! From: The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/species/

Species
    First published Thu Jul 4, 2002; substantive revision Fri Mar 17, 2006

The nature of species is controversial in biology and philosophy. Biologists disagree on the definition of the term ‘species.’ Philosophers disagree over the ontological status of species. A proper understanding of species is important for a number of reasons. Species are the fundamental taxonomic units of biological classification. Environmental laws are framed in terms of species. Even our conception of human nature is affected by our understanding of species. In this entry, three philosophical issues concerning species are discussed. The first is the ontological status of species. The second is whether biologists should be species pluralists or species monists. The third is whether the theoretical term ‘species’ refers to a real category in nature.

I think this is part of the problem with this discussion.

Is my Bloodhound the same "species" as my Field Spaniel?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

D Dog: I'm glad you asked. That's not an easy question to answer!

That's why I asked it. What do YOU think is the difference between a species and a variety?

steve

• Beardo
    Beardo
    Everyone thinks i am a bible lover/god, but i actually don`t like the word `god`. and i hate religion,

I can live with the word God - it is just a tag that most people understand. If they load it with misconceptions, then that is their problem.

but on the other hand, i don`t believe in evo. You could say i`m like in the middle, with leanings more to creation, if you get my drift? Anyway, i would like to have a little survey to find out exactly how many ex`s on here do believe in evo?

I can put my cards on the table - I do not rule out evolution as a process in operation within the physical universe that aids our development or survival. But whether we actually developed over many millions of years and went from one distinct form to the next because of this process, I can't say for sure (obviously). My jury is out, and will probably always be out in my lifetime.

I'm no longer good with 'absolutes' concerning our origin.

So, I remain inbetween two ideas at present.

But, as is apparent if you have read my other thoughts to date, I believe there is another (or many) dimensional realities beyond our own and I also believe in sentient lifeforms existing beyond our ability to view them and certainly beyond our current understanding. I also believe ultimately in one sentient creator who is intrinsically linked to all matter & energy (as we define them).

I'm currently looking at the work of Masaru Emoto (run a search on Google) - you may find his work & thoughts inspiring

Hope that helps.

• dido
    dido

fts- the existence of neanderthal is what i don`t agree with, but i don`t appreciate you questioning me on someone elses statement,and why have you put my post to Ian on? and what is your question? thanks for the link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit