Why did you choose the Alias that you did?

by The wanderer 53 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Why did you Choose the Alias that you did?

Being curious about why people do or act the way they
    do led me to this discussion. This discussion of course
    is a lighter, not so serious or intense discussion as
    some of the past ones that I am personally
    responsible for.

Some of the Names and Representing Icons.

Quite a number of the names seem to represent a form
    of "striking back" at the Watchtower Society. Some in-
    dividuals choose something to do with Satan or apostasy
    or something that could be perceived as anti-Christian.

Why I choose the Alias that I did

I too wanted to make a statement that I broke away from
    the Society, but not something that could be perceived
    as a negative.

Wanderer: To turn away from accepted belief or
    morals. Webster's New World Dictionary, 1982 .

In addition, having been raised a big Dion and
    the Belmonts fan since I was a child played a
    big part also—the major song being "The
    Wanderer", 1962. So the alias had two
    parts in my decision and the Wanderer
    was born.

What about yourself?

How did you come to choose the alias and re-
    resenting icon that you chose?

1.) Were you mad at the world or the Watchtower?

2.) Did you want to make a statement?

3.) Did something in your past trigger your alias?

This is basically a human interest story and it may or may
    not be perceived as a silly subject, but it would be interest-
    ing to see how some of us think about the matter.

Please offer your commentary by expanding on this subject.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• abbagail
    abbagail

Good topic, Wanderer... because, you are right, there's almost always another layer under the things we say/do/choose. A deep thinker we have in Wanderer I see... ;-)

It's also a good topic because I have seen some fantastic aliases here. Some have been hysterical funny and have tickled me silly again and again (because they are so clever by using terms only those of us from the WT-World would "get it," etc).

In 2002 I started out here with another alias but got sick of it eventually and once I was back on my spiritual feet (NOT "WT-spiritual-feet," mind you), I wanted a name to reflect that. So taking my real name (big guess... last four letters) in a Name Book, that name comes from abIgail, and even though I love the definition ("Fathers Joy"), I didn't want to be abIgail. Almost immediately, though, the perfect solution came to mind ... It's a "play" on abigail.

Since I wanted a "spiritual connection" IN my name and something to reflect how I want my Heavenly Father to always "GO BEFORE ME and lead the way, knock open doors," etc. in whatever I do in life, ie, ABBA[goes before]gail --Voila! -- abbagail was born (Rom.8:15; Gal.4:6). -- (Actually, I didn't make the name for here, but had decided upon it originally for other endeavors in life, abbagail.creations, etc.)

As for the little picture... I only recently changed that, too... got sick of the other one. This one is... Da Dummmmmm.... (Drum Roll)..... THE RAPTURE! (Yup! I'm "one of those people"! It's the most awesome thing I ever learned! "Comfort One Another With THESE Words!" - 1 Thess.4:13-18. What can I say... I LOVE IT!)

And BTW, I love your taste in music as well! Too bad we can't hear music with a post... I'd like to hear THE WANDERER again! ;-)

Take care and don't Wander Too Far ... (j/k)
    /AG

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

When I first joined here I had to have an alias. I was re-acquainting myself with The Smiths music and Big Mouth Strikes Again was playing on the stereo.
    Although I have chronic depression, I'm quite extrovert at times and my sense of humour can get me in to trouble with people who don't know me. So perhaps bigmouth is appropriate!

Pete.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Hi Wanderer

Good topic

Mine came from the feelings I had about myself when leaving and discovering this site. I felt foolish for having so many doubts about JW life and practises for so many years and not taking a positive step to enquire of other sources of info apart from the Watctower org. Yet my heart questioned so much and I spoke out so much out about things I saw as wrong and yet did not get DF'd for I think people saw my motive was true.

Yet when learning so much from sites like this I had to finally make my move to be honest with myself, and leave so I could respect myself fully.

I did change my picture for a while(which is my dog that picked up my grand childs dummy) but soon changed it back as I feel it may convey what so many others feel for being a witness, that is foolish and yet viewed now by other witnesses as a DOG not worthy of freindship

Steve

• Arthur
    Arthur
    This discussion of course
    is a lighter, not so serious or intense discussion as
    some of the past ones that I am personally
    responsible for.

Praise the Lord! I have just released a long sigh of relief as I wipe the sweat off my brow.

Actually, my alias was chosen with absolutely no thought to it. I simply typed in the first name that popped into my head. Later on, as I began to post more, I wanted to add an avatar like everyone else. When I thought about my alias, the first thing that popped into my head was the movie. So, I just decided to put in a picture of Dudley Moore.

Looking back, I wish that I could have thought up an alias that is really profound like "scholar", or "thirdwitness". But alas, it was not meant to be. Aliases such as these must be reserved for the intellectual giants who reside among us.

• fokyc
    fokyc

I was baptised in 1963, within 2 weeks I was told I was giving my first Public Talk the following Sunday, they were 1 hour in those days.

I took fright and stopped going to the meetings, shortly after I was offered a job in the USSR, UFA Bashkiria (just west of the Urals).

I had a ball of a time, after a while all the locals called me Fokyc, it means in the local parlance 'Wonder worker' or Magician.

I have always used it ever since, I have a hard hat with it written across the front!

fokyc

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I chose my name because it reflected how I was feeling when I joined this forum. I had been missing meetings at the kh for a while, and had ore or less stopped going altogether by the time I came here, but I wasn't 100% sure that leaving was the right thing to do, so I was"full of doubt" about my future plans.

In the course of my first week or so on here, I read a lot and posted occasionally, read Crisis of Conscience and decided that, even though leaving the wts would cost me most of my friends, I still had a place to go for support, so I quit the wts, but kept the name, even though I'm no longer in any doubt about the wts.

Linda

• greendawn
    greendawn

Greendawn because it means the dawning of new awareness that is green which means soothing and comforting.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Jaguarbass. I play guitar keyboards and bass guitar. I took the name to get yahoo email. Jaguar is a model of guitar that fender makes and nobody else was using it on yahoo. Whereas there are many rickenbackerbass and fenderbass and gibsonbass. I also use jaguarbass to advertise for music gigs. Some people think my alias is a fish, like a bass fish. Its not its a guitar, like a bass guitar. Pronounced base, spelt bass a quirky english thing. It has nothing to do with the watertower society.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I'm still undecided about God and the origin of the universe. As soon as I find any proof of what life is, I will not be undecided.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit