African JWs Can Keep "Messianic" Attire Because It's There Culture!

by minimus 105 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I remember when I was a kid my parents used to say "we don't celebrate birthdays because its Pagan" "we don't celebrate holidays because its Pagan" well fuck!! the Pagans surely took a shit too, are JW not suppose to shit, I mean where is the line?? I wonder if the Pagans practiced Shunning???? I think the Pagans had the right idea, live life, love and celebrate!

• Mr. E
    Mr. E
    People that celebrate them have no idea of the origin so they are not sinning. What is your point? Who is it I am judging?
    Read your own words, you just said who you are judging.

I am not judging anyone. I remember you. You enjoy confrontations. Have a great day....... ORIGINS OF BIRTHDAY CUSTOMS

What are the origins of some of the customs used to celebrate
    birthdays? Following are some secular publications and their comments
    of these origins.
    The German periodical "Schw?bische Zeitung" (magazine supplement Zeit
    und Welt) of April 3/4, 1981 on page 4 stated: "The various customs
    with which people today celebrate their birthdays have a long
    history. Their origins lie in the realm of magic and religion. The
    customs of offering congratulations, presenting gifts and celebrating
    - complete with lighted candles - in ancient times were meant to
    protect the birthday celebrant from the demons and to ensure his
    security for the coming year. . . . Down to the fourth century
    Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan custom."

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Ahemm............! As to attire, the assumption would be that God is expecting Western (no, not cowboy) civ type clothing. Yet, from what we know from the Bible, He would seem to prefer folks in their birthday suits (pun intended) vis a vis Adam and Eve. (I think He gets a kick out of the naughty bits.)

OTOH, what we know from Hollywood is that He (God, not Cecil B. de Mille) is quite comfortable with robes and such. I think if it were a smiting matter, God would make it abundantly more clear what he wants us to wear. Therefore, on all matters where He is not abundantly clear, we can assume that it is a "matter of personal conscience."

Does anyone in their right mind think the the Almighty gives a fig what we wear?

• Mr. E
    Mr. E

Ahemm............! As to attire, the assumption would be that God is expecting Western (no, not cowboy) civ type clothing. Yet, from what we know from the Bible, He would seem to prefer folks in their birthday suits (pun intended) vis a vis Adam and Eve. (I think He gets a kick out of the naughty bits.)

OTOH, what we know from Hollywood is that He (God, not Cecil B. de Mille) is quite comfortable with robes and such. I think if it were a smiting matter, God would make it abundantly more clear what he wants us to wear. Therefore, on all matters where He is not abundantly clear, we can assume that it is a "matter of personal conscience."

Does anyone in their right mind think the the Almighty gives a fig what we wear?

Well, if you went around naked in public you might get arrested. So apparently some prefer that you do not walk around naked. In some places it is allowed, like on a beach or some other secluded area. The human body is work of divine creation it does not bring God shame.

If you wore a revealing dress to a place of worship it might cause a brother that is weak in the flesh anxiety. If a man that was married looked at you in a lustful sort of way, this would cause problems with his wife if she caught him looking at you. Proper dress in modesty is admonished sound in reason and in excercising a clean conscience before God. This should take the lead in deciding what to wear. Mr. E
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    He told the audience that it was no big deal that they were being allowed to continue this style of dress by the Society since it was merely seen as "cultural".

Does anyone else think that it is the heighth of presumptuousness that the Society is "allowing" people to dress in their native attire?

• Mr. E
    Mr. E

Does anyone else think that it is the heighth of presumptuousness that the Society is "allowing" people to dress in their native attire?

What do you mean? The society "allowing" seems to be your point. Do you think that the Society is too controlling or has too much power? They certainly push their laws and doctrines on others, and they punish them if they do not accept their way of thinking.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I am not judging anyone. I remember you. You enjoy confrontations. Have a great day....... ORIGINS OF BIRTHDAY CUSTOMS

What are the origins of some of the customs used to celebrate
    birthdays? Following are some secular publications and their comments
    of these origins.
    The German periodical "Schw?bische Zeitung" (magazine supplement Zeit
    und Welt) of April 3/4, 1981 on page 4 stated: "The various customs
    with which people today celebrate their birthdays have a long
    history. Their origins lie in the realm of magic and religion. The
    customs of offering congratulations, presenting gifts and celebrating
    - complete with lighted candles - in ancient times were meant to
    protect the birthday celebrant from the demons and to ensure his
    security for the coming year. . . . Down to the fourth century
    Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan custom."

Yep you are and being rather smug about it too. And thank you I will have a nice day...it's been nice so far.

Josie

• carla
    carla

Where specifically in the Bible does it say celebrating a birthday is a sin? From the bible alone.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

tick tock tick tock...

• Mr. E
    Mr. E
    Where specifically in the Bible does it say celebrating a birthday is a sin? From the bible alone.

Are the magic practicing priests from The Almighty or from satan? If you partake of the offerings to satan, you are therefore placing another above The Almighty God correct? If you use candles to ward off evil spirits are you not putting faith in a material object, or idol as you would know it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit