African JWs Can Keep "Messianic" Attire Because It's There Culture!

by minimus 105 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen
    If you use candles to ward off evil spirits are you not putting faith in a material object, or idol as you would know it?

Are you saying that the use of candles has pagan origin? I just thought it was to symbolize the passing of years since you are supposed to use the same number of candles as the age and then you blow them out by making a wish , in which case I'm willing to bet nobody wishes to survive til the next bithday .LOL

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine
    Are the magic practicing priests from The Almighty or from satan? If you partake of the offerings to satan, you are therefore placing another above The Almighty God correct? If you use candles to ward off evil spirits are you not putting faith in a material object, or idol as you would know it?

No disrespect Mr.E (aka his holiness) but are you out of yfm?! That must have been some crazy birthday party you went to.--LOL

Boooooooooooo! Abraaaaa cadabraaaaa! Ohhhh mighty Sataaaaaan, give us the power!

What ever happened to pin the tail on the donkey?

• Mr. E
    Mr. E
    If you use candles to ward off evil spirits are you not putting faith in a material object, or idol as you would know it?
    Are you saying that the use of candles has pagan origin? I just thought it was to symbolize the passing of years since you are supposed to use the same number of candles as the age and then you blow them out by making a wish , in which case I'm willing to bet nobody wishes to survive til the next bithday .LOL

Modern birthday parties and celebrations by children take their form mainly from Germany, where the birthday child received gifts, chose a menu and received a candle-ringed butter or jam cake. The lighted candles for the cake may have originated from the birthday of the Greek moon goddess Artemis. Pagan worshippers honored her every month with moon-shaped honey cakes. Because the moon glows with light, the cakes were decorated with lighted candles.

Saying “happy birthday” to friends and loved ones was society’s superstitious way of protecting them from evil spirits. Birthday thumps, bumps, pinches, etc., were said to bring luck and send away evil spirits. Party snappers, horns and other noisemakers were also intended to scare off bad-luck spirits.

I thought all of this was well known amongst all of you.

• Mr. E
    Mr. E

No disrespect Mr.E (aka his holiness) but are you out of yfm?! That must have been some crazy birthday party you went to.--LOL

Boooooooooooo! Abraaaaa cadabraaaaa! Ohhhh mighty Sataaaaaan, give us the power!

Ok, what is YFM? You are setting me up huh? =)

Point of the matter, if you do not practice that which is condemned by God, you are ok. Why worry if you are innocent correct? It is ok to have a celebration to honor your children. You gather on different occasions for one purpose or another correct?

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

I thought all of this was well known amongst all of you.

Well known that it is a dumb excuse that covers up the fact that not celebrating birthdays is just a way to be different.

So that means that we can't celebrate the day we were born just because some people celebrated for other reasons? Now we can't do it for our own reasons? This is a new celebration separated from old time ritual. It has nothing to do with that. It is a new thing all together.

Would this also mean that we couldn't shake hands if in old days people shook hands to give good luck? Oh, right, it probably would.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

It's NOT condemned by God. Practicing magic IS. If we are not practicing magic, but only celebrating a day on the calender with significance to us, is this wrong?

• Mr. E
    Mr. E

Well known that it is a dumb excuse that covers up the fact that not celebrating birthdays is just a way to be different.

So that means that we can't celebrate the day we were born just because some people celebrated for other reasons? Now we can't do it for our own reasons? This is a new celebration separated from old time ritual. It has nothing to do with that. It is a new thing all together.

Would this also mean that we couldn't shake hands if in old days people shook hands to give good luck? Oh, right, it probably would.

Is it your intent to worship another god when you celebrate the day of your birth? If not, then there is nothing wrong with it.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Apparently the custom of clothing boys in blue stems from pagans as well as they thought there was something magical about the colour and it would give extra strength and protection when they'd go and fight, wedding rings too have pagan origin and they used to say windchimes were a no-no, i was even told i couldn't give a barn dance for my wedding as some of the dances were pagan!But these things are now acceptable because the wts (can't remember which mag i read it in now) said that certain things can be acceptable if most modern day people don't realize the origins and how many people out there would equate birthday candles with pagan practices?So surely birthdays are ok as well.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine
    Is it your intent to worship another god when you celebrate the day of your birth? If not, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Okay, cool.

Ok, what is YFM? You are setting me up huh? =)

Sorry, yfm means toilet paper. (I forget not everyone knows this) It must be a Jersey thing.

• dobbie
    dobbie

hehehe!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit