As a j-dub, how did you react to christian music?

by Highlander 21 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hey I just saw the lead singer of that group on a christian show Saturday night. He's not bad.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I like collective soul. I remember a while back a jw friend came over

and saw a collective soul CD sitting on my stereo and asked what

I was doing with that. "Ummm...you're not supposed to listen to that stuff."

Silly. I'm glad I never bought into all the hubbub about music.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

the red X struck

do you mean this group:

yeah, blondie... thanks.... now find a bicture of them in their bumble-bee outfits... LOL

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry I can't seem to get the other picture smaller.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Even as a JW, I had a liking for Church music. It's just so beautiful, especially when there are voices. I'm not even a christian now, and they still give me shivers, some of them are amazing.

I realized it was "bad" to like them when I was about 10 years old and my father caught me humming "Ave Maria". Then I knew I must pretend that I didn't like those songs, like I had to pretend I didn't find christmas lights very pretty and halloween decorations super cool.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I had no problem with listening to such music, as long as it is biblical I can't see why the dubs have that apprehensive mentality, the same as they do for Christmas. It's the effect that matters not the origins or anything else. Didn't they work with Swaggart to save some taxes?

• restrangled
    restrangled

When I saw this thread, I thought you meant the JW's music. When I grew up there were no christian music stations that I knew of.

Now once in a while I'm listening to a station and realize I'm enjoying "christian music"....I'm a cronic station hopper.

And just for the record, the song book of the JW's is some of the worst written stuff I have ever heard. It always bothered me ....I swear who ever wrote it was tone deaf.

r.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I never liked Christian music..Now I love it especially Amazing Grace LOL

Undeserved Kindness !!!!!

• caligirl
    caligirl

I loved Stryper! I don't think my parents knew they were a Christian group so my tapes were never an issue.

I was dinstinctly uncomfortable with Christian music even for a few years after I left. I didn't know how to process it. Now I enjoy it. The church that we go to has a full live band, and it's great. I really like it now. It is not boring and pirated like the crap we grew up with.

I have a mixed cd of worship music in my CD player. When my Mom was here in August, I went into the bank and left her in the car with the kids and took longer than I anticipated. When I got back in the car, it was on. Had I been in the car, I would have skipped over the cd just because I don't like to shove it in her face, but the look on her face was priceless- just staring at the CD player. It was the same look my parents had the first time they saw Christmas decorations in my apartment - the deer in the headlights look. I just reached down and casually changed the CD and acted like nothing had happened.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Gospel just swings! I went to a soul food restaurant on Sunday and there was a gospel DVD playing in the background. That stuff is catchy. I was jamming in my seat but I was chided for getting down to "bad music."

I think the WTS doesn't like Christian or gospel music because it's well written, uplifting, and doesn't emphasize getting your hours up or having slavish devotion to the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit