Me and my brother and our guitars (pic)

by garybuss 75 Replies latest jw friends

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I never realized you lost your wife due to the blood issue. I'm sorry.

Love the giant Caddy. How did people park back then? I won't even drive my friend's SUV because I'm afraid I'll hit something important.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Bronzefist, Thanks! You are one of my favorites. Thanks for being here.

Juni, The Chevy was metallic silver blue and white. It was a soft ride, but the Caddy was really soft and it had a gutsy 390 ci engine that did 16 miles per gallon on 37 cent gas.

The Harley had glass bags and I traveled to Nebraska and Iowa. The first summer I had it I put 7,000 miles on it while working two full time jobs. I bought two Goldwings in 1991 and another in 1992. That one we took all over the country.

I was only in the 8 x 40 trailer by myself for one year and with Delores one year then we bought a 10 x 50 and built on a good sized entry for closet and freezer space.

I liked the big cars and I bought Delores a nice white '60 Caddy to drive. Now I had two of em:-)

• juni
    juni

Glass bags. That's something. That engine couldn't have cooled down much! Goldwings are great. Quiet and smooth. Rode on one and it was a dream.

Actually 16 mpg on that Caddy was good. We had a ' 76 and a ' 77. All four little kiddies could fit in the back seat of the ' 76. Pulled our pop up camper for 8 around different states w/no trouble. ' 77 gave us nothing but trouble electrically wise.

You have a lot of good memories to share. Thanks Gary.

Juni

• garybuss
    garybuss

These were normal sized cars back then. These were much easier for me to drive than a SUV.

They had total power steering not partial assist like now.

This was Delores' 1960 Caddy.

I sold it after she died.

• juni
    juni

I bet she felt like a queen!!

I have to sign off now and get something to eat. Have a good evening! Good talking with you.

Juni

• codeblue
    codeblue

That's awesome...do you still play and sing?

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

Gary how did you hook up with Delores if you don't mind me asking. Sorry if I'm getting too personal.

bronzefist

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Codeblue, I keep a fender acoustic laying around and I entertain myself. I don't have any pickin buddies anymore and my grandson doesn't like it when I play.

Hi Bronzefist, I met Delores and Nancy both when I worked in the bakery in Spirit Lake Iowa in 1965-1966. Their brothers were pioneer partners (Lester and Alan) and I think my employment in the bakery drastically reduced their grocery budget. They'd some in the bakery after midnight and scarf down stale rolls like a hog after slop. Alan was a real hog.

Those two guys lived in a dump of a camper trailer and one night they were giving me crap and I knew they weren't home so I went over there and dropped a padlock on the clasp on their trailer door and snapped it shut. They retaliated by chaining my Caddy to a parking meter. I fixed em. I married their sisters.

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

Those two guys lived in a dump of a camper trailer and one night they were giving me crap and I knew they weren't home so I went over there and dropped a padlock on the clasp on their trailer door and snapped it shut. They retaliated by chaining my Caddy to a parking meter. I fixed em. I married their sisters.
    Now that's funny. Maybe you should have used the lock when they were in the trailer. Chaining the Caddy to the meter was a good payback on their part. You're right though you got the last word in.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The chain wasn't theirs and they had a lock on it so the cop helped me get the Caddy on the curb close enough we could get the chain over the top. I happened to be on my way to Vermillion South Dakota to start a new short term job there and I just wrapped the chain around the Caddy's bumper and wired it up with stovepipe wire and cut the lock off when I got to my dad's place in Sioux Falls.

About a month later Lester came knocking on my door in Vermillion wanting the chain back. I gave it to him and I laughed like hell because I knew I beat em and I had this story to tell for the next 40+ years.

When Delores was real sick I asked Lester and his wife if either of them could come and help care for her for a couple days and they both said no, they had to get their pioneer hours in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit