Sting Rays Being Slaughtered and Mutilated in Irwin backlash

by Crumpet 36 Replies latest social current

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/12092006/140/irwin-backlash-stingrays-slaughtered.html

At least 10 stingrays have been found dead and mutilated on Australia's eastern coast since Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin was killed by one of the animals last week. The killings have prompted fears of "revenge attacks" against the normally docile fish. The popular television star was killed last week when a stingray barb pierced his chest as he filmed a TV show off Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

The death of the naturalist, who was snorkelling with the ray, prompted an outpouring of grief in Australia and among his fans worldwide.

The dead stingrays have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland, including two that were found with their tails lopped off.

A spokesman for Irwin's conservation group Wildlife Warriors said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for the TV star's death.

"It may be some sort of retribution, or it may be fear from certain individuals, or it just may be yet another callous act toward wildlife," he said.

He said people should treat stingrays with caution, but added: "There is still no need to kill or mutilate these important animals."

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

This I find very sad and certainly not something even the reckless parent cum conservationist Steve Irwin would have endorsed!

• luna2
    luna2

That's insane. Must be some nutter (or group thereof). I'm sure Steve Irwin would be disgusted and appalled.

• trevor
    trevor

I very much doubt that this is what Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin would have wanted

• wifey
    wifey

How sad! This is not what Steve or his family would want.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Morons!

Ian

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Ian - I like the wilting rose to denote disapproval! ;-)

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    A spokesman for Irwin's conservation group Wildlife Warriors said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for the TV star's death.

This is so stupidly sad. It's like some idiots must think the sting-ray that killed Irwin was guilty of something -- like pre-meditated murder. Are they now afraid of a sting-ray 'uprising' ? Are these fundamental radical sting-rays spreading their hate of man to jelly-fish and trout ?

*sheesh* I fear for the dog & cat population of the world...the next time one of them bites or scratches somebody.

Rabbit

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i hear he is going to be the new face of rayban

100% protection from rays

oh puhhlease...he would have laughed himself silly

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

How pathetic! It's like blaming all stingrays for what one stingray did. I hope the people doing this get caught and prosecuted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit