'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin killed

by Simon 65 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I honestly thought something would get him in the end, but I wasnt prepared for how gutted I was when it happened.

Poor Terri. You could see those guys loved each other truly madly deeply. Really really sad.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    As they put it, most people (i.e., Americans) are ignorant about Australia and Australians, so they have a tendency to watch a program like Irwin's and believe it to be true regardless of its made up value.

Please explain LG. What 'made up value' do you refer as regards Irwin's programs?

Jeff

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We all really loved him. His enthusiasm was unmatched. In high school, my son's teacher used to say my son is like the crocodile hunter. In some ways he is.

I know his wife and son will miss him terribly. The rest of us will, too.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Where are the Aussies to chime in about what they thought of the guy. My friends were totally embarrassed by him. As they put it, most people (i.e., Americans) are ignorant about Australia and Australians, so they have a tendency to watch a program like Irwin's and believe it to be true regardless of its made up value.

I wonder what you mean by this. Are you saying you think we assume all Australians are like Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter, like they are a stereotype? You probably haven't seen my thread about how laid back JWD Aussies are. While there are some gullible people who believe TV is always realistic and characters are typical of the country they are from, I'd say most folks are intelligent enough to know that Steve Irwin is just an individual and his wild enthusiasm probably hasn't much to do with being Australian.

Please don't be embarrassed by Steve Irwin. He gave millions of people a reason to smile.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I watched his show all the time and stupidly even tried one of his pick up a snake on a stick moves recently. (it was only a baby snake). But I heard about it this morning and the headline was just Croc Hunter tragedy and instantly thought a croc/snake had got him. But a sting ray? So sad for him and his family and Sui.

RIP Steve

• badboy
    badboy

I SAW IT ON NTL FRONT PAGE, AND HEARD IT FROM MY CARER!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Very sad news! He had one of those infectious smiles and wonderful way of telling a story that would just brighten your day.

My son loved to mimic him and would go off telling the most ridiculous stories which would get us all laughing. I can't help but think of my son when I think of the Crock Man.

As a youngster I was stung by a sting ray one of the small sand ones off the coast of California. It opened up the bottom of my foot and the only really memorable thing I remember about it was that the Assembly (nine day one!) in Pasadena, Ca (circa 1963-4) was to start and I could only wear thongs. My feet got really dirty and I ended up with blood poisoning walking around at the Assembly and was very sick. It had more to do with the wound being dirty than the sting ray sting. But *ouch* never the less it hurt!

I couldn't imagine a large sting ray sting into the heart, how awful for him.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I think the man was a great ambassador for Australia, and was loved dearly in England. I have been suprised by the amount of people during my day who have been totally gutted by his death, and the number of people in the UK media who have been genuinely and visibly upset.

• Purza
    Purza
    Does anyone remember the commercial he did a few years ago with the posionious snake where he pretended he had been bitten and fell dead?

Yes. I thought it was for FedEx?

Purza

• TopHat
    TopHat

Thanks Purza.....I forgot it was a commercial for FedX...here it is on video! I will miss Steve Irwin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Okp5FTKOB4&mode=related&search=

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit