'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin killed

by Simon 65 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

If you go to CNN's home page they have info about the guy and as part of that article Irwin stated:

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s "Australian Story" television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he told the ABC.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. You know, there's this ... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty.' "

There was a question as to my earlier post and this is what I was referring to ... I still find it interesting that this thread has mostly American, Canadians and English people making comments. I find it interesting that the Aussies who post here have been strangely silent.

And again as I stated earlier, I do feel for his wife and children. It is such a loss for kids to lose their father at a young age. Regardless of his work or propensity for danger, you always hope that nothing bad ever comes of it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx LookingGlass for that later explanation - I can see how Steve would have been a little embarrassing to some who viewed him in the light of a 'clown' - but he prob did more to put Austailian wildlife on the map than any other. I don't know of a soul that ever considered him a typical Aussie - I doubt if he was typical anything. I enjoyed his unique personallity and love of things that most fear. I had a goal to someday make it to Aussieland and meet the 'bloak" - now that one is crossed off the list unfortunately.

Aussies should be proud to have called him a brother.

Jeff

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

used to get bored by the sensationalism of his commentary, a bit like the andy gray(sky sports) x10 of ecology. but he did great work in bringing awareness of animals and the enviroment to people especially kids. find it ironic that he should be killed by such a creature not renowned for its ability to kill.

• Roski
    Roski

looking_glass ...

I think you'll find some posts from the Aussies (incl. myself) on another thread.

Perhaps Australians - in general - are a little less vocal about stuff. Just a cultural diference in some ways. I think Steve's somewhat 'over-the-top' personality was a little strange to some Aussies when he first became popular (remember he is a Queenslander) and maybe that is why he was first popular in the US; and maybe that is why he married a non-Aussie. Difficult to generalize. However, his divergence from the norm was a good education in itself - in many ways. All cultures change and grow in different ways and at different times and I think the legacy Steve has left to Australia is a good one. But, don't confuse silence with lack of concern and interest. Australian culture has changed significantly in the past few years - a product of globalization I'm sure, but the understated rather than the overstated is probably still more the norm.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    don't confuse silence with lack of concern and interest

Ros - I was not under the impression that Aussies were heartless beasts, I was just wondering what was going thru their heads. I posted some where else that I wondered if Irwin himself would be surprised to see the out pouring in his home land. I have a link to Aussie news on-line and ABC has shown some nice things about the guy. I watched his father's speech in its entirety and it just broke my heart.

The upside to Irwin being Australian is that your news media seems much more respectful then the English and the American news media. I do hope people let his family morn in their own way and in their own time.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

SlimboyFat.."He was killed by something not normally fatal"..????..He died,because he was stabbed through the friggin heart!!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit